Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Pilot EX Starlight Grey. We bought the Pilot 3 weeks ago. We love it!!! I am having problems with FM reception. We have the stock CD-Cassette AM FM radio. Local FM Stations that are always crystal clear in any other car don't do well on the Pilot. I am getting an "Intermittent Hissing" that sounds like the radio is having reception problems. CD and Cassette are perfect so the amp is ok. Called dealer and they said they could check it but there was probobly not much that could be done. Any ideas? Anyone else having the same problem?

2003 Pilot EX Starlight Grey, Full Bra, Rear Mud Flaps, Ziebart Diamond Coat paint protection, Color matching all-weather floor mats.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have perfect reception with FM stations. Even when 100 or miles away, I still pick them up good. sounds like the antenna must not be tight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Radio reception

My FM reception is good - sounds like the antenea is not hooked up or has a bad wire. Have the dealer check it out.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Great reception here in CA

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Reception Problem Fixed

I had a definite problem with reception of both AM and FM stations from the outset. When I took the Pilot in for its first oil change, I told the Service Dept. about the problem. They took out the radio and found that a certain plug (I assume connecting to the antenna) was somewhat loose. They tightened it and then tested the radio audio, which they found "conformed to specs."

After I picked the car up, it was obvious right away that the reception had improved....so I assume the slightly loose plug was indeed the source of the problem. I'd recommend asking your Service Dept. to be sure to thoroughly check all connections.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
A whip antenna is better

I've noticed that cars I've had with the antenna embedded in the windshield (the Pilot's is in the left-rear window) don't get as good reception as cars with a whip antenna. Since I don't live in a fringe area, I'd rather have the antenna in the glass. It looks better, and it's one less thing to worry about when going through the car wash. But my Taurus has a whip antenna and some Connecticut stations don't come in as well in my Pilot.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: A whip antenna is better

krygny said:
I've noticed that cars I've had with the antenna embedded in the windshield (the Pilot's is in the left-rear window) don't get as good reception as cars with a whip antenna. Since I don't live in a fringe area, I'd rather have the antenna in the glass. It looks better, and it's one less thing to worry about when going through the car wash. But my Taurus has a whip antenna and some Connecticut stations don't come in as well in my Pilot.
I wonder how practical it would be to add a whip antennae to the pilot. When I travel I want to have as good of reception as possible.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Re: Re: A whip antenna is better

florida_guy said:

I wonder how practical it would be to add a whip antennae to the pilot. When I travel I want to have as good of reception as possible.
You'd have to want it pretty bad to drill a permanent mounting hole and run the wire. Maybe a magnet mount antenna with a quick disconnect in parallel with the existing antenna would be easier. You could just use it as needed. They're available for CBs, but I don't know how well one would improve FM reception, if at all. Most "rubber ducky" types cover a pretty broad spectrum for reception (narrow for transmission which you don't care about).

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Re: A whip antenna is better

florida_guy said:

That's why they put CD and tape players in cars!!! For all those remote areas. I have traveled in a few areas that even the external antennaes would not pull in any statons. I don't even have a radio/cd/tape/iwhatever on my bike. Prefer to ride without!!

YMMV

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: Re: Re: A whip antenna is better

krygny said:

You'd have to want it pretty bad to drill a permanent mounting hole and run the wire.
Thanks for the info. Have to add to my CD collection I guess but no weather and traffic reports or those.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Reception Problem Fixed

After 4 mo. of owning my Pilot, my radio reception suddenly was nonexistent. After 2 trips to the dealer where they told me my radio was fine, they replaced a bad signal amplifier and the reception returned to 95%, which is exceptable. You spent approx. $30K+ for this car. Don't let them make you think that this problem is trivial. Make them park it next to another new Pilot on the lot and compare reception, if they do not seem sympathetic to your problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
FM reception and Whip antenna

Quote:
I've noticed that cars I've had with the antenna embedded in the windshield (the Pilot's is in the left-rear window) don't get as good reception as cars with a whip antenna.

I'm not so sure about this. One might expect that imbedded antennas would have more issues with wave propogation, refraction and gain increase/decrease with directional changes but antenna performance depends on a lot of things. I have a 2003 Rav4 with a whip antenna. The reception in my 2003 Pilot is considerably better than in my Rav4. I was actually quite surprised at how good the reception was in my Pilot.

dj

·
Registered
342 Posts
My reception was bad from the first day I had the Pilot. They finally swapped out the radio last week and now everything is working fine.

With the seeming randomness of this issue I wonder if some of us aren't getting defective radios. The difference in my vehicle has been night and day and all they did was swap the head unit for a new one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts