Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew it was too good to be true and that eventually something would happen to my Pilot. I haven't had any starting problems, scrunching noises, or any of the other assorted complaints that other Piloters have had. But nothing I've read on this board about problems with Pilots could have prepared me though for pieces of my Sagebrush Pearl Pauletta Pilot suddenly just falling off and flying through the air behind me.

I'm driving down the highway tonite, on my way to pick up the oldest from driver's training class, going about 60 mph, when suddenly I hear this horrible "clunk clunk thunk boosh" sound from the back. I glance up into my rearview mirror just in time to see the upper brake light/wind buffeting piece fly offwards and onwards behind me. Thank goodness nobody was behind me as I can only imagine the impact of that piece hitting another vehicle at 60 mph.

So I do a quick stop and turn around to see the piece laying on the side of the road. Seems to be intact, with plug in wire cables sticking out all over the place. Fortunately, nothing seems to be damaged in the back hatch area or the back roof from what I can see, but when I take Pauletta Pilot in tomorrow I'll have them do a more thorough inspection. The piece is pretty gouged up and sratched, so I'm definitely going to have to have a new one put in place.

I'm totally puzzled as to why this piece would suddenly just fly off. I've had my Pilot for just about six months with no problems whatsoever, and had no indication that the piece was loose. I'm also wondering if this is going to be covered under the Honda warranty. I would think so but until I can get in tomorrow morning and show them what happened and voice my concern about a $33,000 vehicle with pieces flying off of it, I have no idea.

:confused: and still shook up.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Really hate to hear that this happened, but thanks for sharing. I just checked ours, and the right side seems a little wobbly... moreso than the left. Our first oil change is coming up very soon, so I'll definitely have the service department check it out.

Please follow up and let us know if this was something like loose screws, or more like a broken mounting pieces.

By the way, I cannot see how they can refuse to pick up the tab on this one.

Don't blame you for being shook up, but just think that it really could have been a lot worse:) . Best of luck when getting this resolved.

Rick

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
That's TERRIBLE! It's the first I've heard of this happening (been here since Jan.) Yikes. Glad no one was hurt. Please let us know how the dealership reacts.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I though I mention that issue back in January when the ice build up between the spoiler and the roof when I open the rear door the spoiler crack and start to fall off. The problem still there only affect any one living in the snowy region. Had mine replaced early February, but don't the problem will go away.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not a New Problem

Search on Spoiler and you'll see this is a recurrent problem, with parts falling off on the road and sometimes causing roof damage when the hatch is opened because of misalignment. If it's loose, tighten it yourself or get your dealer to do it before the damage gets worse!!:awais:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Uh oh.. sounds like a NHTSA recall maybe in the works if this keeps up... :(

·
Registered
330 Posts
Re: Not a New Problem

Windy City Mike said:
If it's loose, tighten it yourself or get your dealer to do it before the damage gets worse!!:awais:
I didn't look carefully, but how do you tighten the spoiler? Do you have to remove some of the trim to get to the bolts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update

I was at the Honda dealership bright and early this morning at 7:30 with my rear spoiler piece in hand.

After explaining what happened, the service guy's response to me was, and I quote, "Well it probably came loose because you take your car through an automated car wash." I respond that no I had not once taken it through a carwash (and not that I ever would -- I know better), but that if I did I didn't think that a trip through such would loosen it up enough as to where it would fly loose while going down a highway.

His next response then was something along the lines of how I must have bumped it up against my garage door while going in and out. I told him I had more than enough room to get in and out of my garage and that I hadn't been in low parking garages since I owned the vehicle.

He and I bantered back and forth then, with me getting more steamed by the moment. He points out a piece in the middle of the spoiler that's all bent and twisted back and indicates this part must have been damaged by me or my use of the vehicle at some point, in turn loosening up the spoiler, and thus causing it to come off of the vehicle. I tell him that I was driving down a highway in a construction zone and for all I know it could have hit a few barrels and God knows what else before it came to it's final resting place and that THAT could have caused the damage on the piece he's referring to.

We finally get to the bottom line of things -- that being is this or is it NOT going to be covered under warranty . He says he just doesn't know and that he'll have to send the part out to be inspected by his regional parts manager and that this guy will make the final decision. I tell him if not, then me or my husband will definitely want to be speaking to this regional parts manager and his manager as well.

I'm in Michigan and if the part can be located in Troy, it should be in by tomorrow, and if not there then they'll have it shipped in from California express mail and will be here in two or three days.

Needless to say, I'm not pleased with the way that I was treated at the old M&M Honda Service dealership, but before I contact the service manager I want to see if the part is going to be replaced under warranty coverage. My gut feeling is that it will, but they just want to put me through the wringer first. My main beef with is that the service guy just started "assuming" things right away without even asking me -- that I'd taken it through a carwash and that I'd bumped it going in and out my garage. For all he knew -- did I even HAVE a garage??? Idiot.

Beware people . . . and check your rear spoilers. I'll give an update after mine is replaced and let you know what other excuses the dealer and service reps throw my way.

·
Registered
495 Posts
What a jacka$$.

You should have told him something like... "Well, we get really bored around the house and make it a habit to take it out on my Pilot. It may have been that time when I beat it with a baseball bat... or that other time when we hired some midgets to climb up and jump up and down on it."

Glad to hear that the issue was at least escalated to someone with a brain (I hope).

Best of luck again and please keep us posted.

Rick

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
AuroraMor said:
He points out a piece in the middle of the spoiler that's all bent and twisted back and indicates this part must have been damaged by me or my use of the vehicle at some point, in turn loosening up the spoiler, and thus causing it to come off of the vehicle.
So, you showed him something that flew off the back of your car while you were driving 60 MPH, and his response was to find a damaged place on it and assume the damage came before it went flying?

Let me guess... are you a female? :3:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
AuroraMor said:
Just an update

I was at the Honda dealership bright and early this morning at 7:30 with my rear spoiler piece in hand.

Beware people . . . and check your rear spoilers. I'll give an update after mine is replaced and let you know what other excuses the dealer and service reps throw my way.
I checked mine @ 3 months ago and found that it was loose. I tightened all of the bolts but still check them regularly. I noticed at the time that the middle of the spoiler was rubbing on the roof when the rear hatch opened up. You can tell your service manager from me that my Pilot up in Canada had the same problem and my spoiler probably would have fallen off if I hadn't tightened it. You can also tell your dealer that now that they know this is a problem with Pilots they had better start checking all of them regularly, especially when they are prepping new vehicles.:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Scoobs said:

I checked mine @ 3 months ago and found that it was loose. I tightened all of the bolts but still check them regularly. ......
I've seen a number of posts here that mention the spoiler bolts may be 'coming loose'.

I suggest that you purchase some 'clear silicone sealant' at your local hardware store and apply it to the threads the next time you tighten the bolts. The silicone will dry clear and will 'glue' the bolts in place. The beauty of this type of fix is that if you ever want to remove the bolts the silicone will 'break off' easily and will not damage the paint (you can scrape it all off with your fingernail if you want to remove it).

I know, we shouldn't have to resort to this kind of fix on a $30k vehicle but it's a cheap way to save your sanity and IMHO beats taking the Pilot back to the dealer.

JJ

By the way - - This is an old British car fix - - EVERYTHING on my Mini Cooper wound up being 'fixed' with silicone.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Pictures of the offending bolts?

Appreciate everyone's contribution on this thread. I took a look at the inside of the rear hatch and I can see two capnuts at the edges of the hatch which probably attach to bolts on the rear spoiler, but I was wondering where the mid point attachment might be?

I see a plastic blind plug in the center of the hatch. Does this plug need to be removed to access the center attachment point for the real spoiler? Any tips on the best way to remove the plug w/o damaging it?

I noticed that there is some "play" in the spoiler, i.e., it's not firmly attached to the hatch. Have others been able to tighten down the spoiler to the point that the play is eliminated?

Thanks to all and appreciate your help.

·
Registered
115 Posts
tracy said:

So, you showed him something that flew off the back of your car while you were driving 60 MPH, and his response was to find a damaged place on it and assume the damage came before it went flying?

Let me guess... are you a female? :3:
[Sorry Tracey, (and I admit I may be making an assumption here) but she did mention that the next step was to have her husband speak to the manager and regional Rep.]

From the tone of the conversation, I suspect the service guy would have probably pulled much the same nonsense with anyone. Bad attitude. Bad service provider.

If I owned that place, this story would be the kind of thing that would give me nightmares. Classic way to drive away customers.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yeah...

A picture of what bolts to tighten and where they are located would be great!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
:awais: Hey Kemosabe,

Maybe you could send 'da boys over to AuroraMor's shop and have that guys attitude adjusted. I think he need some work with his customer service.
------------------------------------------
AuroraMor, I suspect you will get the part covered under warranty. But if they need more convincing, print out some of the threads discussing the loose spoiler other owners have had fixed. Yours is probably most severe, but still seems to be a defect.

By the way, if the auto-wash doesn't even get all the bird poop off the car, how is supposed to damage part of the body molding? What BS.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
tim.s said:
:awais: Hey Kemosabe,

Maybe you could send 'da boys over to AuroraMor's shop and have that guys attitude adjusted. I think he need some work with his customer service.

[ S N I P P E D ]

Gotcha... The boys are on their way... :3:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Loutog said:
[Sorry Tracey, (and I admit I may be making an assumption here) but she did mention that the next step was to have her husband speak to the manager and regional Rep.]
Ah... I missed that. :D

·
Registered
373 Posts
My spoiler was loose too. It was causing a vibration in the right rear (similar to the dreaded right rear suspension problem) and it would rub against the roof when opened on hot days.
I had the dealer tighten it up and the vibration is now gone but it still rubs. The strange thing is the spoiler seems more loose now than before they tightened it.
As for automatic car washes, If it weren't for them my Pilot would never get washed. I know all the perils and pitfalls about them, I just don't have the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you everyone for your replies and especially Kemosabe for the laugh. heh heh If only I could send 'da boys over to the not so friendly M&M Honda service department for an attitude adjustment.

As for the update on replacement of the rear spoiler, no word from them as of yet. Must be the part couldn't be located in Troy, and they're having it sent over from California. Either that or they're stalling so that their regional parts manager can have a looksie and come up with some excuse as to why it shouldn't be covered under warranty. If I haven't heard from them by the end of Monday, I'll be giving them a call Tuesday a.m. sometime.

When all is said and done and my Pauletta Pilot is once again her fine looking self, I do plan on writing the service department manager because I know that I was definitely treated as the "naive female" who knows nothing about cars and warranties. Not a good impression made for my first experience with their service department -- but definitely a lasting one.

Another update to be made sometime the first part of next week. Once again, thanks everybody. This board has been a never-ending wealth of information since I found it, and I'm sure glad that I did . . . find it that is :)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts