Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Pilot EXL with 128,000 miles. On my last dealer service visit the service writer said my Pilot's engine oil pan is starting to develop an oil leak and suggested removal and reseal; $591.80. I had been noticing for some time that when I park on my sloped driveway, a normal driveway slope, I can later see a small dime sized fluid spot where I parked but on a flat surface, like in the garage, there never is a spot. I check both my oil level and transmission level about twice a week and the level for both is always unchanged, no drop in level. Just to make sure I had the dealer tighten the bolts on the oil pan. I continue to get the fluid spot on the sloped driveway but not on a flat surface. Any ideas why this is happening? I really don't want to spend $600 to fix something that is of no consequence.

·
Registered
603 Posts
An oil pan gasket leak is of little consequence, if that is truly even the source. It is very difficult to prove the leak is the pan.... especially when it is as slow as you describe, unless there are zero leaks anywhere else from the usual suspects, like valve cover gaskets, vtec spool valve gaskets, which can leak down the engine. Additionally leaking from rear main seal is fairly common, slow, and also runs down the oil pan.

So they might replace to oil pan gasket to "rule out" that as a source, and you might have the same amount of leak as before, now letting you focus on the real source at more expense. Rear main seal is a huge labor cost, so most just accept a small amount of oil leak at that point.

Reactions: aggrex and Tanner

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much, that is just what I am going to do, just live with it and check, check, check, the oil levels. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
donning my snake oil salesman hat and waving my cane :)

"Step right up, step right up!"

Throw in a bottle of AT-205 and drive for a hundred miles or so. For ten bucks, what've you got to lose (except less oil)?

More Information for ATP AT205

This snake oil does in fact work. (y)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts