Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

florida_guy gets serious

16K views 150 replies 27 participants last post by  florida_guy 
#1 ·
This is a first post in quite a while for two reasons.

1) My new computer arrived and I had a few issues getting it set up that made the project take a lot longer than it should have. This is my first time on this forum on the new machine.

2) I've been working really hard at work trying to get two projects done so I could take a vacation.

The good news is that I got my projects done and I'm going to be on vacation all of next week. I'll be out of town Thursday thru Labor Day but in the five days before that...

I'M FINALLY GOING TO TEST DRIVE A PILOT!! :)

That's assuming I can find one to drive of course. I am definitely ready to buy now and since the 04 changes are so minor I'd be willing to order an 04 after driving an 03.

Because of reasons 1 and 2 above when I logged on today I had 883 messages unread. I simply don't have time to read them all so I scanned the threads paying particular attention to the 04 threads. I didn't find much information besides the list of changes that I had read the last time I was on.

Now, I have been on this board long enough to know that from time to time we are occasionally guilty of thread drift. I'm wondering if any of you folks can point me to any threads that drifted to discussions of the 04.

I'm particularly interested in:
1) The exact changes. ( I read at least two different lists that said they were official.)
2) When will there be an 04 on a lot for me to drive
3) When are the first ones going to ship
4) How long am I going to have to wait before the pre-orders are filled
5) Are there still 03's available and are the dealers lowering the prices because they are end of year or raising them because the demand is still strong and there are no more coming out.

It's for real this time folks! :2:

1) My first choice is an 04.
2) I'd consider an 03 if I could get a good deal (and even better drive the actual car I would buy so I could check for window scrunch etc.)
3) Since I haven't actually driven a Pilot yet I can't rule out the Highlander which I did drive about a year ago and didn't really wow me but would definitely fit my needs.

See less See more
#2 ·
florida_guy said:

I'm particularly interested in:
1) The exact changes. ( I read at least two different lists that said they were official.)
2) When will there be an 04 on a lot for me to drive
3) When are the first ones going to ship
4) How long am I going to have to wait before the pre-orders are filled
5) Are there still 03's available and are the dealers lowering the prices because they are end of year or raising them because the demand is still strong and there are no more coming out.

talk to a dealer....they should have enough info on the 04 by now...

#3 ·
First, I must note 1198 posts for florida_guy, pre-testdrive :D

Latest MY info is always "just before they hit the lot" with Honda and Acura. I'd imagine definitive info by the first week of Sept. You can probably score a decent -- but not great -- deal on an 03, if the prior-year MDX "deals" have been any indication. The reality, as you mention, is that they're still selling fast - the damn things are only on the lot for a week! My guess is with the $ difference you'd be better off with an 04, but FL is a different market than everywhere else.

#4 ·
TheWorm said:

Latest MY info is always "just before they hit the lot" with Honda and Acura. I'd imagine definitive info by the first week of Sept. You can probably score a decent -- but not great -- deal on an 03, if the prior-year MDX "deals" have been any indication. The reality, as you mention, is that they're still selling fast - the damn things are only on the lot for a week! My guess is with the $ difference you'd be better off with an 04, but FL is a different market than everywhere else.
The 1198 has got to be an all-time record!!!

I guess the only thing I would add is that unless you are seriously turned on by the new horn or the new color, why would you want the '04? Assuming you are going to keep it a while (as your present vehicle seems to indicate), chances you will do better on an '03 then you will on a new '04. You mentioned scrunch - well there is no guarantee that the '04 will NOT have it. MANY MANY '03's did not have it and I'm sure that MANY MANY '04's will not have it - but SOME will.

Perhaps another 500 posts is what you need before you order? That will give you time to test drive the Pilot and the HL and the Quest and the Aztec!!

:13:

#5 ·
adjustable second row did it for me...I took my 03 back to the dealer. My new one should be here in a few weeks. Expected build date was between the 16th and 20th of aug, so however long it takes to ship? Mine was not a preorder I guess...it's selected off the dealer's allocation list. They happened to be scheduled to get what I wanted. No deals here, though there is a thread saying some people are getting below msrp deals. There seemd to be a good amount expected to arrive in September that are not preorders at my dealership.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/pilot/overview.htm has the changes...your dealer should now have their 2004 book to confirm. Most were getting them this week.

#6 ·
clarity said:
adjustable second row did it for me...
Actually, I overlooked the new adjustable seat. Thanks! While it has never been an issue for me, I'm sure thare are some owners out there (as yourself) that the added adjustment could be well worth the wait (and maybe some extra $$).

Everyone here has their own "shopping list" of what is important to them. That's what makes this site a lot of fun as you get to see and hear how everyone "personalizes" their Pilot!!!

Now, If I could find a source for some fender skirts, a sun-visor and a continental kit!!!!! Put some spacers in the front springs and some lowering blocks in the back too!!!
(people are scratching their heads trying to figure out what the heck I am talking about!!!)

:2: :2: :2:

#7 ·
colorider said:
I guess the only thing I would add is that unless you are seriously turned on by the new horn or the new color, why would you want the '04?
Don't forget the heated booty. He may want to become north_dakota_guy some day, you know.

I can't believe florida_guy is going to get a Pilot before I do, and he's still not even sure he wants one. I wanted one before they even came out. It's so unfair! :(

#8 ·
tracy said:

Don't forget the heated booty. He may want to become north_dakota_guy some day, you know.

I can't believe florida_guy is going to get a Pilot before I do, and he's still not even sure he wants one. I wanted one before they even came out. It's so unfair! :(
Yeah, but I think he was pretty well decided (yeah, right) on the EX (cloth). I doubt the heated seats would even be an option for cloth.

Don't worry - I think you have plenty of time left before being beat out.

:)

#10 ·
colorider said:
The 1198 has got to be an all-time record!!!....Perhaps another 500 posts is what you need before you order? That will give you time to test drive the Pilot and the HL and the Quest and the Aztec!!

Let us not forget the poll:

Poll: When will florida_guy actually buy a Pilot?

A choice quote by florida_guy in this thread:"All right Mr. Smarty Pants!!! :D: First of all your poll is flawed as it is impossible to select less than 500." :31: :31: :31: :31:

#11 ·
TheWorm said:

My guess is with the $ difference you'd be better off with an 04, but FL is a different market than everywhere else.
I knew I was going to get it for that test drive thing, that's why I haven't mentioned it before now. :p

Why is Florida a different market than everywhere else?

#12 ·
colorider said:

The 1198 has got to be an all-time record!!!

I guess the only thing I would add is that unless you are seriously turned on by the new horn or the new color, why would you want the '04? Assuming you are going to keep it a while (as your present vehicle seems to indicate), chances you will do better on an '03 then you will on a new '04. You mentioned scrunch - well there is no guarantee that the '04 will NOT have it. MANY MANY '03's did not have it and I'm sure that MANY MANY '04's will not have it - but SOME will.

Perhaps another 500 posts is what you need before you order? That will give you time to test drive the Pilot and the HL and the Quest and the Aztec!!

Actually the horn is a desirable improvement as I have heard others mentioned how wimpy the current one sounds. However, its obviously not enough of a reason to wait for the 04.

More compelling, however, is the possibility that I may not keep the Pilot as long as I kept this Accord and the resale ramifications of that.

Most important though is my hope that they will fix some of the glitches that still exist in the Pilot. Since they haven't acknowledged the existence of many of them, they sure aren't going to sound trumpets if they fix them. Who knows how many things they could have fixed between model years? :8: Maybe none but....

#13 ·
clarity said:
adjustable second row did it for me...I took my 03 back to the dealer. My new one should be here in a few weeks. Expected build date was between the 16th and 20th of aug, so however long it takes to ship? Mine was not a preorder I guess...it's selected off the dealer's allocation list. They happened to be scheduled to get what I wanted. No deals here, though there is a thread saying some people are getting below msrp deals. There seemd to be a good amount expected to arrive in September that are not preorders at my dealership.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/pilot/overview.htm has the changes...your dealer should now have their 2004 book to confirm. Most were getting them this week.
Very valuable information clarity! Thanks. So they are here and they are shipping and I won't have to wait months. Great! Now the only question is how much abuse I'm going to have to take when I try to haggle. :rolleyes:

#14 ·
tracy said:

I'm not getting leather so the heated seats are not an issue. The sliding second seat will rarely if ever be used. It will be folded down almost all of the time.

By the way. I do want a Pilot but there is always the possibility of an unexpected surprise when I finally get inside of one. I've seen pictures. I've peered in windows of locked Pilots. But that's as close as I've gotten to the sanctuary of the Pilot cabin.

#15 ·
mooz said:
After 1198 posts you're getting serious.......
Be sure and get the Nav sys. Don't think you'd want to ask for directions.......

Ciao
Mooz
exlss
The new upgraded Street Pilot is in my future. And it wasn't available 1198 posts ago. Nor was my knowledge that I can't depend on Honda to keep there NAV maps updated which is the ONLY reason I decided against it and with that decision went leather. The 1198 posts pre-purchase have served me well :D :29:

#16 ·
Twinkie said:

Let us not forget the poll:

Poll: When will florida_guy actually buy a Pilot?

A choice quote by florida_guy in this thread:"All right Mr. Smarty Pants!!! :D: First of all your poll is flawed as it is impossible to select less than 500." :31: :31: :31: :31:
Hee, hee, hee... well at that point I honestly thought I might get one before then. :rolleyes:

#18 ·
First test drive? Wow. No wonder you didn't get one yet. As soon as I drove it, I knew it. I was going to own it. I even bought an identical one. You'll soon see what we love about it. It's smooth, stable, quiet, the visibility with the driving position, the huge feeling cabin. Well, you'll see. You'll love it. Just be sure to let us all know what you thought when you get back.
I personally just saw an '03 on a lot yesterday, so they're not IMPOSSIBLE to find. Good luck Florida_guy!

Oh yeah...the horn is puny. My sister and I were setting off our panic alarms on purpose and the Pilot is noticably higher pitched than her Civic. But don't let that discourage you. You can always open her lungs and punch her into V-tec for the manly sounds ;)

#19 ·
<i>adjustable second row did it for me...I took my 03 back to the dealer. My new one should be here in a few weeks. </i>

????? you mean you are trading in your new pIlot for a newer one?? Wow!! That's dedication.

If you don't mind me asking ... what kind of hit are you taking?

FYI - if anybody is seriously disheartened by the horn, you can get a louder replacement at any auto parts store for like $10-$15.

#20 ·
florida_guy said:

More compelling, however, is the possibility that I may not keep the Pilot as long as I kept this Accord and the resale ramifications of that.

:8: Maybe none but....
Yeah, right! It's taken you how long to decide to buy a vehicle? Now we'll get 1000 posts on Pilot vs Highlander or whatever else you decide to test drive. Then maybe this time next year, you'll buy something. I don't think you'll be getting rid of the new vehicle anytime soon, so don't worry about resale value. After all, you're not the kind of guy to jump into things, are you?

#21 ·
:) I'll pick the leather, it's maintenance free, just wipe the dirt or spills off, the pilot comes with some tinting so it will not be that hot especially in florida. The mileage is great, better than my IS300 and the acceleration numbers is comparable to some sport sedans, not bad for an SUV. the EX-RES is good for long travel for your kids than the navigation(yes I can read maps and good at it). And last but not least, it looks like a million bucks!

#22 ·
74PILOTMOM said:
First test drive? Wow. No wonder you didn't get one yet. As soon as I drove it, I knew it. I was going to own it. I even bought an identical one. You'll soon see what we love about it. It's smooth, stable, quiet, the visibility with the driving position, the huge feeling cabin. Well, you'll see. You'll love it. Just be sure to let us all know what you thought when you get back.
I personally just saw an '03 on a lot yesterday, so they're not IMPOSSIBLE to find. Good luck Florida_guy!

Oh yeah...the horn is puny. My sister and I were setting off our panic alarms on purpose and the Pilot is noticably higher pitched than her Civic. But don't let that discourage you. You can always open her lungs and punch her into V-tec for the manly sounds ;)
Hey - I've been meaning to send you a note!!! Did you ever get anything resolved on your paint? (sorry for the thread drift)

What made me think of you was a couple recent events. First, Mrs. Colorider's Sebring sustained some hail damage about a month ago and we finally got it in to the shop. They commented that the SILVER paint had some bad spots - similar to what you had I assume. We had never noticed it, but once they got it into the shop, it was obvious.

And then last night at Sam's I noticed a Silver Pilot in the lot that had REALLY bad (thin?) paint in several spots.

:eek:

#23 ·
Actually, I'm voiding my sale. I only owned it a week. I asked them very directly about the changes for 04, and the adjustable 2nd row. Told them I'd be very upset if it was changed for 04 since I was buying this in lieu of the dreaded minivan. 2 managers assured me it would not be a change. (if they'd said "we don't know" I would have waited!) They tried to call it a trade in and offered 26500, then 27500 on a 33500 sticker. I laughed and prepared to call an attorney and leave the car with them in the meantime. They finally realized I was serious, we're voiding the sale, they're reselling it for no more than 2k less than I paid...which I'm not worried about I bet they're getting sticker. They say they will credit me the full amount they get. They have a white and silver and my sage pearl on the lot. Mine will go first I am betting and by this weekend. 3 people have looked at it already. We had to physically protect it while I was buying it. One saleguy seems to have promised to to someone else after I had a deposit on it already! So when they whined about it I know it was absurd. They'll have it sold in a few days. I threatened to come in there and sell it myself since I know more than they do about it. :) They wanted me to to sell it privately and I told them flatly that if that happened I was not buying an 04 from them, and not for msrp...I was paying msrp because I was trying to patronize an in-my-town dealership. The way it went down that day was quite a saga.

I live in MD...I have a feeling I had some legal standing with the whole void thing...anyone know? Because once they realized I was writing them a letter to reflect the issue, had cleaned out the car and was leaving it, they changed their tune a LOT. I figure I must've been on pretty strong ground for me to actually win something with a dealership. I think I might have to pay sales tax twice. Maybe I can wiggle out of that.

#24 ·
clarity said:
Actually, I'm voiding my sale. I only owned it a week. I asked them very directly about the changes for 04, and the adjustable 2nd row. Told them I'd be very upset if it was changed for 04 since I was buying this in lieu of the dreaded minivan. 2 managers assured me it would not be a change. (if they'd said "we don't know" I would have waited!)
You mean, you had nothing in writing from them promising there would be no difference in '03 and '04 models, and they're still taking it back? I'm amazed!

#25 ·
did I mention my husband was not with me for most of this? I was even more amazed. That's why I figured I might have stronger ground than I thought. I did tell the sales person specifically that if it was an 04 change i would come in and cause a riot. I mean they can instantly resell this at a new price, so I don't think they're crying...they won't get 04s for a few more weeks. I didn't even have to cause a big scene, or whip out my trademarked Mean Girl attitude, though I was very assertive...I didn't have to yell. I did tell the sales guy I could cry if he wanted. :)

The dealership is just outside of the city limits, and they pulled a credit report on us...we're local business somebodies...but I didn't mention it so I'm not sure they knew that.

add: we did put the taking it back part in writing. The used the word "void" twice...so maybe I can use that as leverage on the taxes.

#26 ·
colorider said:

Hey - I've been meaning to send you a note!!! Did you ever get anything resolved on your paint? (sorry for the thread drift)

What made me think of you was a couple recent events. First, Mrs. Colorider's Sebring sustained some hail damage about a month ago and we finally got it in to the shop. They commented that the SILVER paint had some bad spots - similar to what you had I assume. We had never noticed it, but once they got it into the shop, it was obvious.

And then last night at Sam's I noticed a Silver Pilot in the lot that had REALLY bad (thin?) paint in several spots.

:eek:
Colorider,
Yep, sounds like what mine looks like. It's the hood and doors. It's obvious to me, but I'm afraid to do anything. I'm afraid to NOT do anything too. I don't want a bad paint job, but a bad paint job is what I already have, Maaco did a better job on my old buick for Pete's sake. Do they no longer inspect their cars off the assembly line? I almost feel like they'll laugh in my face, since I took delivery of the thing. I don't know. It gives me stress.

Florida_guy....inspect your paint( ;) WHEN ;) ) you buy your Pilot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.