Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Pilot Touring-7 AWD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, so I'm planning on installing some front and rear skid plates on my 2021 pilot. I have jack stands, wheel chocks and a floor jack I inherited from my late grandfather.

A couple of questions regarding the floor jack:

1. It's rated at 2.5 tons, I checked the side panel and the pilot is just under 5,000 lbs. So far I tested the jack out and didn't see any issues, but is this safe to use?

2. Using the front central jacking point, this floor jack doesn't lift the pilot enough for the tires to clear the floor. I used a piece of 2x4 wood for some extra clearance and it did the trick, though I noticed quite a bit of warping and indentations on the wood afterwards. Im not really familiar with different types of wood and their relative thickness/strength, but the piece I used was pretty light. Any suggestions on what type of wood I should be using? Preferably something i can just pick up at home depot or lowes. I plan on lowering the pilot onto the jack stands anyways, but I'm just wondering what others have used out there.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I only have an answer for #1, which is yes it's safe to use. Especially since you're not even lifting the entire car... even the entire car is less than 2.5 tons.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,847 Posts
Well check out the horror stories of floor jacks and jack stands. You have to know what you are doing, don't take the quick way and pay attention.

2X4 + Floor Jack = Disaster.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Do yourself a favor and buy a SUV-sized floor jack and jack stands. The old ones you have are almost certainly "car-sized", which is why it is too short. You'll want the taller truck-size jack stands too. Trust me, it is worth the expense even if you only use it a couple times a year. Ramps work too.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I was considering these but heard lots of horror stories
What "horror stories' have you heard about ramps? I'm considering getting ramps too. I heard you have to break torque the car up ramps. Is this true?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
What "horror stories' have you heard about ramps? I'm considering getting ramps too. I heard you have to break torque the car up ramps. Is this true?
There is a slight learning curve to get the vehicle up the ramps slowly, steady and not to drive over the ramp. Sometimes ramps can have issues with the ramps sliding on smooth concrete floors creating another possible mishap. Ramps are incompatible with asphalt surfaces and cause permanent damage to the surface.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
It's rated at 2.5 tons, I checked the side panel and the pilot is just under 5,000 lbs. So far I tested the jack out and didn't see any issues, but is this safe to use?
As mentioned you can get a full-size floor jack 3 ton capacity under $200 that will give you the lift and stability for your vehicle. Once lifted use quality jack stands and for good measure toss the spare tire down there too. For installation of skid plates a set of ramps can provide adequate and safe lift of the vehicle to work under.

·
Registered
2021 Pilot Touring-7 AWD
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got a brand new pair of jack stands with a 3 ton capacity, so I'm set there. I would've gone for a pair of ramps, but I already had the jack and stands, plus the ramps take up more garage space I don't really have.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
354 Posts
I have one. All my fault though.
Stupid me, had them stored outside behind the shed, and one collapsed as I was driving up it. Granted they were thirty years old. I prefer my floor jack and stands.
I think the OP would be able to lift it if he used the jacking points instead of the front central loading pin.
I have to do some research to see if I was dreaming or not, I thought at one time they built some of those ramps out of re-claimed rubber. I think something like that would slide less. I always had an issue with them sliding.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
354 Posts
Rhino Ramps. Look much better than the steels ones. May pick up a pair.
What ever method anyone uses, just use common sense, and be safe.
During my career I was under many trucks, with just using a jack, and no safety stands.
I look back and see how lucky I was to never had one fall off the jack.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I have Rhino ramps, small floor jack and jack stands and high lift high capacity floor jack and jack stands. What I use depends on what job I'm doing. The Rhino ramps are stored in the garage but my issues is they slide on my smooth concrete so I usually have to jack the vehicle up, slide the ramps under the tires and lower it onto the ramps.

Also, I do keep handy small blocks of cut wood to use with my jack when needed. I have not had any issues and I never get under the vehicle with just a jack or a jack+piece of wood, the piece of wood is their to distribute the load, prevent damage to paint (on classics) and get the vehicle up that last couple inches if needed.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Safety is number one. If you are not experienced at lifting and working under a lifted vehicle, find an experienced friend to help or, better yet, pay a professional to install the skid plates.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
I have concerns for what your using as a jack point and where your jackstand is being placed. A small block of wood can split if placed with the grain.
Most of the advice your receiving is on buying new equipment. That's good advice. I'm not a fan of ramps, even though I use them on occasion. But I'd definitely invest in a larger floor jack that can raise a Pilot safely to the height you need. Leave the jack in place along with a well placed jackstand for redundancy.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Safety is number one. If you are not experienced at lifting and working under a lifted vehicle, find an experienced friend to help or, better yet, pay a professional to install the skid plates.
This is good advice. If using a floor jack is new to you, get someone experienced to help out at first. You may need to buy a better, safer jack. It only takes one mistake to mess up your life

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
I recently did my front brakes on my 08 Pilot.

I usually always use a bottle type hydrolic jack, on a strudy 2x4 with the 3.5" side down.

But, I always find a surdy part of the A frame, and jack it there until the wheel comes off the ground. I've always liked this better. It I put it on the body, I have to wait until the suspension goes all the way up.
- I do not crawl under it however. I work from the sides, etc.

If I have to lift and work under, I use my heavy duty plastic ramps.

Break torque up the ramps? Are you doing a burn- out? LOL

I have one. All my fault though.
Stupid me, had them stored outside behind the shed, and one collapsed as I was driving up it. Granted they were thirty years old. I prefer my floor jack and stands.
I think the OP would be able to lift it if he used the jacking points instead of the front central loading pin.
I have to do some research to see if I was dreaming or not, I thought at one time they built some of those ramps out of re-claimed rubber. I think something like that would slide less. I always had an issue with them sliding.
The ramp collapsed? I'm glad it did it right away, and not on top of you!

Reactions: aggrex

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,847 Posts
If you have a quality heavy duty floor jack then these makes a nice addition when additional height is needed.
Champ Floor Jack Height Extenders
Far safer than a chunk of wood stuck between the saddle and the underside of the vehicle.

To me it is simple common sense.
1. Never work with a jack alone. The only exception is when having to change a flat in an emergency.
2. Jack stands when you are working from the outside of the vehicle.
3. Ramps when working under a vehicle.
4. If Jack stands must be used when under a vehicle use 4 jack stands. Redundancy is the same safety measure that is used in the manufacture of airplanes and of course at NASA.

If you do then you reduce the likely hood of being one of the NHTSA's recorded 4800 + annual individuals injured be it mildly or severely (including deaths) from the use of floor jack.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
If you have a quality heavy duty floor jack then these makes a nice addition when additional height is needed.
Champ Floor Jack Height Extenders
Far safer than a chunk of wood stuck between the saddle and the underside of the vehicle.

To me it is simple common sense.
1. Never work with a jack alone. The only exception is when having to change a flat in an emergency.
2. Jack stands when you are working from the outside of the vehicle.
3. Ramps when working under a vehicle.
4. If Jack stands must be used when under a vehicle use 4 jack stands. Redundancy is the same safety measure that is used in the manufacture of airplanes and of course at NASA.

If you do then you reduce the likely hood of being one of the NHTSA's recorded 4800 + annual individuals injured be it mildly or severely (including deaths) from the use of floor jack.
I understand safety concerns, but I'm not crazy about having a 4200 Lb vehicle suspended in the air on 4 jack stands.

Reactions: PHM
1 - 20 of 75 Posts