Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have this issue in a 2019 Passport.

1 hour + commute in a Minneapolis snowstorm... climate control set to 76 degrees, defrost and floor.
After 1 hour my face is sweating but my feet are still blocks of ice.
Can feel slightly cold air coming out of the lower dash around the steering wheel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had my 2016 Pilot EX for a few weeks. The current extremely cold weather in the NE has been a very good test of the heating system. All modes seem to work very well except floor heat. I cannot feel much coming out and have to add in some other mode to keep it warm enough on the 0 degree days. Anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I cannot get a straight answer from anyone why they did this. My 2004 frontier pickup will burn your feet if you're just using the floor vents. Why can't something be done about this? I invite a honda rep to answer this.

·
Registered
64 Posts
2020 EX-L Black interior. 1300 miles. Same issue here. I was going to buy the "dealer says they're all like that" line until I saw some of the posts here that dispute it and report that they have plenty of floor heat. My drivers floor heat is horrible. My feet are always cold. Passenger is not much better. I can drive for 45 minutes with the mode set to floor and the temp set to "Hi". If I put the fan on the highest speed, by the time I get to my destination, I can just begin to feel warmth on my ankles, and feet. Cabin temperature is and always has been easy/quick to come up to temperature.

My Ford Explorer had the same issue. Except it was usually just the outboard foot on either side that got/stayed cold. Ford never addressed the issue.

I've tried all kinds of settings. The fact of the matter is, that (on my system) there is not a whole lot of air/heat coming out of the floor vents on either side. They are relatively small, and are tucked up sort of high. Def and dash work great.

Another symptom I have is: Regardless of where the "mode" is set. (def, floor, or both), I still get a fair amount of heat/air "leakage" from the innermost two dashboard vent outlets. It does not appear that there is a means of turning them off positively/completely. Whether by the system, or even by closing the air deflectors on the vents themselves, it still leaves air/heat leakage coming out. I was thinking of trying a "mod" of some type. Maybe adding a small length of hair dryer hose or similar to "redirect" the outflow from the floor ducts to a little further down in the foot well.

I guess when I get the time, I'll take it in again and see what they say.

I'd like to hear for others(yet to report) as to whether they have good floor heat or not. I'd LOVE to hear from anyone that had the issue and then had it fixed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So true and I don't know why they don't have a fix for this. The only vents you can shut off are the two end vents, the middle one to the right of the driver cannot be turned off. My 2004 crew cab 4x4 frontier floor heat will burn your feet . Yet my 2014 pilot floor vents wouldn't blow out a match. Why Honda corporate why??

·
Registered
121 Posts
I checked mine yesterday (19 Canadian Touring), on the driver's side the heating vent is just above the gas pedal and blows directly onto the space over both pedals with pretty significant force. Way more force than needed to "blow out a match".

It was -25C here yesterday and the Pilot sat outside at work all day so was well frozen by 5pm. On the way home the footwell got plenty warm, not "hot", but certainly kept my feet comfortable and nowhere near freezing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I checked mine yesterday (19 Canadian Touring), on the driver's side the heating vent is just above the gas pedal and blows directly onto the space over both pedals with pretty significant force. Way more force than needed to "blow out a match".

It was -25C here yesterday and the Pilot sat outside at work all day so was well frozen by 5pm. On the way home the footwell got plenty warm, not "hot", but certainly kept my feet comfortable and nowhere near freezing.
BMP, Tnx for the reply. I am wondering if there are any significant changes in the HVAC diverting system between the CA and US models. Mine is a 20 EX-L with 3 zone HVAC.

·
Registered
64 Posts
UPDATE: I had an anemometer laying around so I thought I'd take some measurements. I am not sure how the image will come out. Ive tried to lay it out schematically as if you're in or on top of the car facing forward.

My testing was done in all 5 modes of my heating system. All Floor, Floor & Def, Floor and Dash, All Dash, All Def. Recirc was OFF, fan speed was kept on 4 and I had the two rear windows down.

My conclusions are that there is some definite leakage in certain modes. Further, Once I got under the dash and had a look-see where I was going to take the floor measurements, I realized that there is pretty good flow coming out of the floor vents. Part of the issue appears to be an air distribution problem. The air coming out (for whatever reason) does not appear to circulate well in the foot well area when there are two human feet occupying the space.

In FULL FLOOR mode, there is significant amounts of air coming out of the two innermost dash vents, both top dash vents and defrost outlets. I would've expected much less if any out of these outlets in this mode.

In FLOOR & DEFROST mode, there is significant amounts of air coming out of all 4 dash vents. I could MAYBE understand some coming out of just the OUTBOARD vents to defrost the driver and passenger windows, but this seems like overkill considering the top dash vents have pretty good flow there.

EDIT: All air velocities are in MPH.

Please let me know if the attachment can't be read.

2020 pilot fan heat settings.jpg

·
Registered
121 Posts
A bit more info from me based on additional observations today, but certainly less scientific than what @PWPileau just posted... Just hoping that this can help those of you who have airflow or temp problems figure out what's wrong.

It was -25C ish again today. Car sat outside all day, at 5pm I used remote start from the office, and went out about 9 minutes later so it was still running. When entering, the car was reasonably warm, but not to the point where you would turn off the heater yet.

After starting it, I set heating mode to "Sync" and "Auto", which puts the air out to the defroster and the floor with what I expect is a fairly even split. I set the temp to 22C.

I felt down at the driver's footwell, and there was a good amount of airflow coming from the two outlets in Auto mode. There is an air distributor located directly over the gas pedal with 2 outlets, one is slightly larger and blows straight down over the gas pedal, the other is bout 1/2 the size angled to discharge across the brake pedal, and eventually hits the dead-pedal:

In Auto mode, both are blowing reasonably strongly, and when putting my hand in the airflow, I can definitely feel a good flow both on the floor at the gas pedal, and on the floor at the dead-pedal. Right at the vents themselves, the flow is really strong. I know this is subjective, but one of the references was this could not blow out a match. No chance for the match here, it would definitely be blown out.

Now if I push the "Mode" button 2x, that takes it out of Auto mode and switches to floor only, leaving the fan speed set the same as Auto mode sets it to, which is 5 bars out of 7 on the indicator. Switching to "Floor" only mode like this subjectively doubles the apparent airflow out of the vents as far as I could feel.

Leaving it in Floor mode and temp set the same but bumping the fan speed up 2 notches to max (7/7 bars on the indicator) again subjectively doubles the apparent airflow from that to my feel.

Finally, if I now bump the temp up, it goes in 1 degree C increments to 28C, and the fan stays the same through these with no change in airflow, but then one more bump switches it to HI setting, which increases the airflow by another subjective 2x factor. At this point it is really blowing, you can easily feel the rebound of the airflow off the floor coming back up through the floorwell towards your torso and face.

So I don't see any problem with airflow to the floor vents on mine whatsoever in any of the modes. There is "plenty" already in Auto mode and in floor mode with the fan set at 2/3's of its speed setting, and tons more on top as fan speed is increased.

As far as temp goes, after the car warming up for 9-10 mins on remote start and -25C outside temp, when I got in the airflow coming from the floor vents was moderately warm to the touch right at the vent outlet, and when moving my hand to the floor, the airflow felt cool, not cold. Understandable as the general temp within the car was still on the cool side of warm throughout.

After about 10 mins of my 30 min commute home, I switched to Floor mode from Auto, and turned the fan speed down one notch to 4/7 bars. At this point reaching down the airflow right at the floor now felt warm (no longer cool), and my feet (outside of shoes) were warm to the touch. The floor itself was cool to the touch, but not cold at all.

After 20 mins I bumped the fan speed down one more notch, leaving it on Floor mode, and now my feet (outside of shoes again) felt hot to the touch, and the floor mat throughout the entire drivers area was warm to the touch, even at the furthest rear-left corner. No detectable cold spots on the floor mats, any of the sidewall plastic skirting or bottom of door area.

By the time I got home, I had the heater on the lowest setting because my feet were quite warm, and the whole car was starting to get too hot. I had to unzip my jacket to cool down.

All this time except for the first 10 minutes in Auto mode, the discharge was in floor mode only, which easily heated the whole car even with the fan incrementally turned down in speed as noted, and none of the windows fogged up the slightest, even though only the footwell outlets were discharging the air. I didn't use defrost or dash mode at all except that first 10 mins on Auto.

Hopefully this helps understand how I see it working on mine and you can troubleshoot yours.

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts

Is your car a pilot? Like I said when you turn just the floor vents on you SHOULD NOT have any air blowing out the dash vents. The event to the right of the steering wheel blows air you had the dash vents on. I'm sorry but this is not right and I stand by what I said. The floor vents could not blow out a match.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Is your car a pilot? Like I said when you turn just the floor vents on you SHOULD NOT have any air blowing out the dash vents. The event to the right of the steering wheel blows air you had the dash vents on. I'm sorry but this is not right and I stand by what I said. The floor vents could not blow out a match.
Do you have a 3rd gen Pilot or a 2014? This post originated in the 3rd gen Pilot forum(2016 - 2020).

·
Registered
2,682 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mines a 2019 Pilot, Canadian Touring. It most definitely will blow out a match, no question, in either Floor mode, Auto mode (which engages defroster and floor) or Dash+Floor mode. No question, plenty of airflow to the floor in all modes, and heats up to the point you need to turn down the fan speed after 10-15 mins or it gets too warm, even at -25 outside.

·
Registered
64 Posts
BMP, Nice write up. Please clarify one thing for me. You mention:

Finally, if I now bump the temp up, it goes in 1 degree C increments to 28C, and the fan stays the same through these with no change in airflow, but then one more bump switches it to HI setting, which increases the airflow by another subjective 2x factor.
Are you saying that when you increased the temp to its max ("Hi"), the airflow to the drivers foot well (subjectively) doubled? The fact that it increased (because of the TEMP increase) at all surprises me.

If this is the case, I wonder if anyone else had the same results. I did not.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm new to this and didn't notice there were different forums for the pilot. Sorry
All my other vehicles when I turn the floor vents on nothing comes out of the dash vents. Not with this car the vent to the right of the steering wheel blows out hard and barely anything from the floor vents

·
Registered
4 Posts
I found three problems causing lack of heat on our feet in late model Honda Pilots. This is based upon my 2017 Pilot LX.
First -- Honda apparently designed the "feet only" setting to also split air to the windshield. This is just like the heater setting that splits it between the window defrost and floor heat. Exactly like it on my 2017. If you adjust the setting from "defrost and floor" to just "floor", the air flow does not change AT ALL going to the windshield. Honda Master Tech verified this at a Honda dealership, but would not declare it a problem since all the other Hondas checked did it to some degree also. Maybe some blow less on the windshield than others, but that is likely a small difference in the HVAC diverter buried under the dash. Which is not adjustable per the Honda tech.

Second -- under the dash and above the gas pedal is the terribly designed "splitter elbow vent" for distributing the floor air. It is WAY too restrictive. I removed this "splitter elbow vent" and modified it by machining the openings MUCH larger. See attached pictures. Note that the "original" picture shows where I had already opened up by about 100% the narrow slot that was aimed at my gas pedal.

Third -- the "splitter elbow vent" snaps into a flimsy plastic manifold up under the dash. When I first removed it, it was not snapped in place. So a large percentage of the heated air was leaking out into the dash.

We can fix the second and third problems -- it is not comfortable to get to that "splitter elbow vent" -- but once it is opened up and properly snapped into the manifold up under the dash, then the amount of air blowing on my feet increased two to three times! Much better situation for winter in the Midwest!

Note that I don't like to run my heater fan above "3" indicators as the really high fan settings like 5+ are quite loud. But if the fan speed is cranked up my feet now get hot. And my eyes dry out from all the split air coming off the windshield defroster vents...which is not desirable, so I run the fan at "2" or "3" most of the time.

Hope this helps some people!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live in Ontario Canada and just purchased a used 2016 Honda Pilot Touring and find my feet and legs are freezing in this vehicle. I have tried putting temp on Hi and blasting in Feet Mode to no avail. Today I drove in -19 to work. I warmed up my car for close to 20 minutes and drove 40 minutes to get to work and my toes were almost numb and legs were freezing still by the time I got work. This is wearing almost knee high lined winter boots for -25 weather. The heat is working minimally if you check and put your hands right down at the vent; however, I can actually feel cold air rushing in from under the dash at the sides which obviously overpowers any hot air coming from the vent. I took the Pilot in a week after purchase complaining about this issue and they said it's working normally. Sure it is when your are idling and not moving but as soon as you drive, the cold air starts rushing in. It's horrible for cold Canadian winters. I was previously in an Odyssey and never experienced this issue at all. I am going to take in again and ask how they can stop all the cold air rushing in as it is very noticeable and you can feel it no problem. It feels like there are some vents on and set to the coldest settings. Is this maybe what others are experiencing when they have this issue?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts