Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flat tire last week!!!

I have the 03 LX Midnight Black (i think) with Bridgestone Dueler H/T 235/70/16. The wife was driving and pulled into the driveway/garage with the rim on the ground and didn't notice!!!

I changed the tire in like 15 minutes or so, super easy!!!!

The hard part was finding the EXACT same tire as there were only 10,000 miles of wear AND it was about a inch diameter sidewall puncture (read as unrepairable). I finally tracked down an exact same tire at Firestone (no royalties or plug for me writing this) and they only had 4 of them. I had to drive 22 miles on the donut tire and the Pilot drove very strange -----> it drive sideways!!!! I had to actually have input into the steering wheel to keep the thing on the road. It was a little concerning taking an offramp at 50mph somewhat out of shape.

I am thinking of purchasing a fullsize spare and stuffing it under where the weany spare goes.

Does anyone know of a different jackstand that is easier to use than the one that comes with it? It is a pain in the a$$ to use, but would be great if it had a bolt head versus a loop....

ideas? Anyone, Anyone, Bueller....

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
ben916 said:

Does anyone know of a different jackstand that is easier to use than the one that comes with it? It is a pain in the a$$ to use, but would be great if it had a bolt head versus a loop....

ideas? Anyone, Anyone, Bueller....
Get a small hydraulic cylinder jack. It probably won't fit in the same space as the existing jack without rattling around so you'll have to stow it elsewhere. But they're a lot quicker and easier to use than an OEM jack. I haven't used an OEM jack in years.

Even better, get you and your wife enrolled in AAA. You may not mind changing a flat on the road but she shouldn't have to. I probably wouldn't even do it myself, unless the auto club dispatcher told me the ETA was >1 Hr.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Tirerack.com had my Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684 for only $74.

I hate buying just one as well as I had planned on replacing all four with the Kumho Ecsta STX as soon as my Duelers wore down a bit but with only 9,000 miles what are you gonna do?

I already had swapped out spares with a full size and slapped that used Goodyear on. The donut spare went right back in the spare tire well. Glad I saved it now...

The jack is not at all hard to use once you figure out how to hook both pieces together to make the handle properly. Turns it into a crank and it goes right up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts