Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 7,800 on my Pilot. Drove around yesterday, no problem, last night when I went to take my trash out I noticed my tire was flat, I mean, really flat. I called AAA, they came and put the donut on - couldnt see why the tire was flat. Brought the tire to my local STS this morning. They called me to tell me there was an internal tear, and the tire needed to be replaced. Anyone know anything about the tire warranty?

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
warranty

You should have a small warranty book in your glove box that covers the tire warranty. The real question will be what caused the tear in the tire. Manufacturing defect or driving on an under-inflated (or flat) tire. It could get sticky.....

Good luck!

Edited: I forgot to mention the "tear" could also be related to a road hazard. Again - you need to look in the warranty book to see what exactly is covered.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I think that the tires are the only things not covered under warrantee. But I may be wrong...

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Ferdball said:
I think that the tires are the only things not covered under warrantee. But I may be wrong...
yes, but like colorider said..tires come with their own warranty. The warrany information on the tires is in a book along with the user manual

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at the tire warranty info - - more exceptions than reasons for warranty. The guy at STS told me there is no way to tell why it was torn, pot hole, curb, etc. I'll just pay to have the tire replaced - after all, can't get very far without it!!!

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
barbmcs said:
I looked at the tire warranty info - - more exceptions than reasons for warranty. The guy at STS told me there is no way to tell why it was torn, pot hole, curb, etc. I'll just pay to have the tire replaced - after all, can't get very far without it!!!
well call the tire folks and file a claim anyways....you neve know you just might win...:rolleyes: :confused:

·
Registered
483 Posts
barbmcs said:
Don't feel alone, the tire warranty is a joke, in very few cases will you be able to get a tire replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
328 Posts
tonyrwc said:
Don't feel alone, the tire warranty is a joke, in very few cases will you be able to get a tire replaced under warranty.
This is exactly why we replaced our tires with Discount Tires Michelins. When we've had flats, more often than not, we get a brand new replacement tire.

BTW, they will also sell you a replacement certificate for around $15 a tire for tires you have bought elsewhere (or that came with your vehicle). It seems to be worth it.

·
Registered
964 Posts
2GREENCARS said:

This is exactly why we replaced our tires with Discount Tires Michelins. When we've had flats, more often than not, we get a brand new replacement tire.

BTW, they will also sell you a replacement certificate for around $15 a tire for tires you have bought elsewhere (or that came with your vehicle). It seems to be worth it.
I don't think I'll ever purchase a tire from Discount Tires again. While I used to purchase from them, because they used to provide free flat repair and I thought that alone made them worthy of my business, I won't again.
I had purchased a set of tires from them a while back and purchased the warranty for those tires. About a week later one of the tires was flat. When I brought it in they determined that the tire failed due to manufacturer's defect. I expected to get a new tire, mounted and balanced, and to keep the warranty I already purchased. What did I get? I free new tire, and a bill for mounting, balancing, and the offer to repurchase the warranty. I was a little upset about that :mad:!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
smurray said:

I had purchased a set of tires from them a while back and purchased the warranty for those tires. About a week later one of the tires was flat. When I brought it in they determined that the tire failed due to manufacturer's defect. I expected to get a new tire, mounted and balanced, and to keep the warranty I already purchased. What did I get? I free new tire, and a bill for mounting, balancing, and the offer to repurchase the warranty. I was a little upset about that :mad:!
Unbelieable the stuff these people pull. Having had my car a few miles now :rolleyes: I've come to conclude that the lifetime warranty with Midas is not really a great deal but a way of assuring you'll come back there for a new muffler so they can sock it to you with the pipes and connectors and stuff.:(

·
Registered
964 Posts
florida_guy said:

Unbelieable the stuff these people pull. Having had my car a few miles now :rolleyes: I've come to conclude that the lifetime warranty with Midas is not really a great deal but a way of assuring you'll come back there for a new muffler so they can sock it to you with the pipes and connectors and stuff.:(
Ah, I knew there was a catch. Do you know anything about the lifetime brake warranty several places offer? Probably the same type of deal, pads are free, labor is not.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
smurray said:
Ah, I knew there was a catch. Do you know anything about the lifetime brake warranty several places offer? Probably the same type of deal, pads are free, labor is not.
I can't speak with any authority on that. I have my brakes done at my regular mechanic.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
smurray said:
That's been my experience. Pads are free, labor isn't. And two years from now (maybe more, maybe less depending on your driving habits), the labor rate increase will more than make up for the free pads.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
When purchase a "road hazard warranty" at the time of tire purchase, you will be eligible for a pro-rated replacement. That means if 75% of the tread is remaining when the tire is replaced, you only pay for 25% of the new tire. Although mounting and balancing is usually not covered.

My dad had two tires replaced a while back when he drove too close to a curb with exposed re-bar. Both tires had the sides ripped up, but the shop replaced them without question under the road hazard warranty.

For example, check out the road hazard warranty at Pep Boys.
-- puncture repairs are free
-- "damaged beyond repair" tires are pro-rated and you're only charged for balancing

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
kemosabe said:

florida_guy's regular mechanic hard at work... :eek: :D
She seems to need a jack. :eek:

Somehow I don't think she'd have any trouble getting lots of Jacks to volunteer to help. :D

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
kemosabe said:

florida_guy's regular mechanic hard at work... :eek: :D
Ah so, florida_guy, now I get it---the secret to your (almost) 200,000 mi. Accord still running good is regular maintenance!!!!

[BTW, be sure to let us know when your odometer rolls over that hallowed mark....and where you were when that memorable moment took place. You wouldn't consider posting a photo of your mean performing machine to mark the occasion, would you?]

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Ziploc said:

Ah so, florida_guy, now I get it---the secret to your (almost) 200,000 mi. Accord still running good is regular maintenance!!!!

[BTW, be sure to let us know when your odometer rolls over that hallowed mark....and where you were when that memorable moment took place. You wouldn't consider posting a photo of your mean performing machine to mark the occasion, would you?]

:rolleyes:
Actually, its probably goiing to be close as to whether I make it at all. It does seem prudent at this point to wait for the 2004 models because of depreciation and problem fixes but once they come out I'm going to be itching. I'm somewhat hesitant to take my normal long weekend trips because I don't want to push my luck and get in a position where I'm forced to act... therefore I'm not putting on as many miles as normal.

I need to get myself a digital camera so I can capture the momentous occasion if it comes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts