Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

261 - 279 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Usually you get away with the pressure switch fix if your transmission hasn't already started acting up. It sounds like something is seriously wrong with the one you described.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, the more I drive it and pay attention, the more I'm thinking rebuild time. A few times while sitting at a red light I can slightly feel or sometimes definitely feel something like a clutch disk (or something light like that) slip then catch. When the light turns green it pulls just fine and goes thru the gears. Kinda seems like it's on it's last leg.

Thinking about buying a rebuilt, but does not have any switches/bolt-ons/etc. attached. What switches/solenoids/etc. would be worth buying new and not swapping over? I've checked on oemacuraparts and it shows several switches, but looks like 04 is special because 05-08(?) look more compatible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2004 pilot (145k km) which i've owned for 2 years (bought it with 119k km). When i bought it it was diagnosed with poor shifting and missing one gear entirely; by a garage staffed by mechanics that i didn't trust much (!). They changed the transmission fluid and this resolved it - they noted that the old fluid did not look good at all when the drained it, and said it needed a new transmission for sure. After the fluid change it shifted fine. Then, it developed the flashing D light, i posted on the forum and wondered if i'd need a new transmission, or whether it was the 3rd/4th gear shift sensors. I got in touch with a local transmission shop, who told me to bring it in when it was happening. Of course, at this point it became intermittent. My wife uses this to commute daily, so i couldn't leave it with them. But i asked, and they said that the gear sensors were a common issue in their experience. That was about a year ago; it stopped. I know that transmissions do not 'self heal' (my wife is a Stem Cell scientist, we may fix some human diseases one day; transmissions, not so much...at least with stem cells. But, i digress). It seems to have stopped, but if it returns, i'm pretty sure i'll try the sensors first. I tried to get my mechanic to do them, but he thought it wasn't worth it while it shifted OK. His guess is that the fluid change may have stirred up some cr*p which eventually settled again, though he's not saying that was the cause for sure. I will say that the transmission 'growls' when in reverse; but i'm a stick shift driver and wouldn't know a bad transmission if it bit me in the arse...

So, IMO, keep driving until you're sure it's dead, or at least start with the sensors ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Invaluable post 94eg!

1 paper clip and 5 minutes later I confirmed 7 long flashes on CEL (0700) and 2 long + 7 short on D indicator (27) - exactly the same as you. Diagnosis: 4th stage pressure switch. Not sure if I will DIY the switch replacement or not, but a relief to know that this is a switch and not something more ominous.

Background: Newest member of flashing D club. Happened on my 2004 Pilot EX with 177k miles this afternoon for the first time. Started flashing on moderate incline and stayed on for 5 minutes until I pulled over and stopped. Turned off engine, looked up flashing D in owner's manual, which indicated possible problem in transmission. Restarted car a few minutes later and light no longer flashed. Drove for about 30 minutes. Drove back home (1 hour) with no flashing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2006 EXL. I got the flashing D and the paper clip trick gave me code "26" 3rd clutch pressure switch. I decided to go ahead and replace the 4th as well. When ordering the parts, it seems that there are new part numbers.
28600-RAY-003 is now 28600-RKE-004
28610-RAY-003 is now 28610-RKE-004
At least that is what I was told and what I ordered.
The transmission on the 06 is different than all the videos I watched, so I proceeded using the diagram in this link OEM Honda PILOT 2006 AT SENSOR - SOLENOID ('06-) parts
According to this diagram, the switch on top, #12, is 28600, the switch on bottom, #13, is 28610.
I replaced the top switch by removing the battery tray and the linear solenoid (#9 in the diagram) to be able to access the switch.
The old part was beige in color, the new part is white. I have not yet replaced the bottom switch, but the old part is white and the new part is black.
So my question is this, are the colors important and an indication that I have the wrong parts? I'm concerned because of the new part numbers and the fact that the online videos have stressed matching the colors. I have triple checked and I have the 28600/28610 in the correct locations.

Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Curley - The color of the plastic portion does not matter as long as you put the correct part in the right location. I just replaced both on my wife's 08 EXL and it was more of a PITA than it really should have been. What I have been finding out is that everything that I replace on this Honda is more difficult than it really should be, but I think it has a little to do with my large hands and things being a little cramped, plus I hate taking the front plastic shield off....those stupid plastic plunger clip thingy's - suck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
flashing D indicator

This has been happening to me now for a couple of years (random flashing D indicator). I took it to my mechanic and there were no codes, and it did not flash for him. It has been running fine for me but I'm still concerned. I don't want to damage the transmission and I don't want to take it to the dealer until someone there can give me a reasonable explanation for why I should fix it and why its flashing.

Has anyone had a failure which was indicative of a flashing D indicator that could have been avoided?
Does anyone know what the indicator is there for and what it means?

·
Registered
5 Posts
This thread may be dead by now but I too have joined the club, 166k miles on my 2005 EX-L and sometimes the D flashes, sometimes it doesnt. Has happened twice over about 7 trips, about 13-20 miles each; over a period of 3 days. Seems like the general consensus is 4th clutch pressure switch with plan B being the 3rd switch. I guess I'll do those myself soon when I have time, unfortunately I'll have a 600 mile trip and a 1200 mile trip basically back to back before I'll have time..... Wish me luck I guess

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2003 Pilot. I've replaced the 3rd and 4th Pressure switches, but still have the shuddering when the "D" was solid, but shifted smoothly when the "D" blinked. I did notice that the outside temperature seemed to effect when whether or not the "D" was blinking, so I went ahead and bought a new ATF Temp Sensor (I'm waiting for it to arrive). I just now went out to the car and decided to retry the paperclip trick, and to my surprise I got the CEL code 70, and the Transmission Code 28 (which is the ATF Temp Sensor). I'm just hoping the sensor is the reason for the CEL code 70 as well, and not some other VTM related issue. I'll update my progress once I get the sensor installed.....thanks to everyone on here, very helpful! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I finally got the new Temp Sensor installed.....although it didn't go as smoothly as I'd hoped. It took me an hour to find it, then the transmission jack couldn't lift it high enough for me to remove the front strut. The worst of it was that I broke the end of the sensor off inside the transmission when I removed the old one (leaking transmission fluid all over the shop floor....good times!) Nothing I could do to remove the piece stuck in there....I called my regular mechanic and asked what danger would there be in leaving it in there and he said that as long as there was room for the new sensor to fit in there, then it should be fine. I went ahead and installed the new one (it was VERY tight....had to "lightly" tap it in with a hammer/file I had on hand, but it eventually went in.....this explains why the old one broke off so easily as well). Put everything back together and topped off the transmission fluid and crossed my fingers as I drove it home.

So far, it's been running perfectly....no blinking "D" indicator, and no slipping/lurching with any gears. So what do you guys think about the piece still in there? Is it worth taking to the shop and having them tear open the transmission to remove it, just in case it manages to work itself into a place that will cause a problem? Or is the risk of that happening so small because of the small space that it's in and there's no chance of it migrating to any other places? (I couldn't tell how big that space was on either side of the entrance hole, but I tried moving the broken piece around inside there and it couldn't move a whole lot around. The piece broke off right at the base of the flange and still had the o-ring on it). TIA for your advice!

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's not all that's going on with my Pilot....

I have just over 900 miles on my '07, and I am getting the flashing shift indicator as well at the 'check engine' light.

I just picked the car up last week, brand new off the dealer's lot, with just 8 miles on the odometer.

I first got the lights this past Sunday, just after I filled the car with gas. I did not top the tank off, and I drove as I normally would. That day was mixed--highway driving and easy driving around town. The shift indicator flashed after I accelerated onto the highway, and the check engine light came on at the same time. I took it easy driving home, and parked the car. I parked, turned the engine off and removed the key. I then waited a few seconds, and started the car back up...no blinking shift indicator, but still had the check engine light. The check engine light was gone the next morning.

Monday I drove from Raleigh down to Atlanta with no problems--no blinking shift indicator, no check engine light. I stopped once to get gas...no problems. It wasn't until Monday night--I accelerated hard from a dead stop to see if I would have a problem, and sure enough...the same lights.

I filled the car with gas, came back to the house for a while, then got in to drive to work, no lights.

I got in the car to drive home tonight and as soon as I put the car into reverse to back out of a parking space--I got the check engine light. I took it easy driving home, and took off (gently) from a stop light, and I get the blinking shift indicator.

Anyone seeing these problems?? Anyone??
It happens to mine it could be you did not tighten fuel cap properly try that and wait for computer to reset after driving 100 miles or so

·
Registered
17 Posts
Add me to the flashing "D" club. 2014 with 69k miles. I just went to the Honda dealer but there seems to be updated part numbers than what is in this thread. I went with 28610-R36-004. He couldn't tell me if was the 3rd or 4th switch though. I am just going to replace this one first and see if it fixes my problem. Anyone have the list of updated part numbers?

·
Registered
4 Posts
overlapping error codes?

I did the paperclip trick and got a 28 code from the flashing D (ATF temp sensor). Every time I start the vehicle now it is a mystery whether the D will flash right away, or if it will take about 5-10 minutes of driving before it starts flashing. When it's not flashing, the shifts are harsh, but once it starts flashing it shifts smoothly. I'm going to bite the bullet and get the temp sensor replaced at the dealership for about $300 parts & labour. I've got about 280k on the vehicle and everything else runs well, so I'm hoping to get another 20k out of it or so.

2003 Pilot

·
Registered
125 Posts
I started getting the dreaded Flashing D two weeks ago on my '05 Pilot.

I had replaced the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches when I bought it a little over five years ago because it was at the 100,000 mile mark and I didn't want to take any chances...swapped out the original rad as well after learning about some of the horror stories.

Anyway, my code reader was giving me a P0974 and P0980 which indicates a circuit problem in the A & C shift solenoids so given the age of the vehicle I replaced them along with the pressure switches since they had been in there for 95,000 miles. Still was getting the Flashing D and all of my troubleshooting was turning up nothing.

Finally decided to crack open the PCM connections and spray some CRC Electronic Cleaner on all of the terminals....VOILA!

I think I'm gonna make this an annual service given the age of the vehicle. That 8 dollar can of spray saved my bacon.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm back with an update on my last post.

Spraying CRC Electronic Contact Cleaner on my PCM connections DID take away my Flashing D but it returned four days later so I was kinda back to square one.

After many weeks of grief and angst I F-I-N-A-L-L-Y found the culprit on my '05. The transmission ground (G151 in the FSM) which is located on the side of the trans near the driver's side tire turned out to be the major pain in my backside. The exposed 18 gauge copper wires attached to the grounding plate had corroded enough in the crimp to create an open circuit. Keep in mind I was getting continuity but there must've been just enough resistance running to the far end of the wire where Shift Solenoids A & C are located(and the Linear Solenoid(?) as well since I started occasionally getting P0970). Shift Solenoid B shares the same wire but it's located closer to the grounding point and I never received a trouble code for it.

I cut off the wires where they attached to the grounding plate and crimped-on a ring terminal to test if my hunch about the questionable-looking wiring was correct....VOILA...no Flashing D and it's remained that way for six days.

I ordered a new wiring harness (part#28960-RGR-0001 for the '05) from a reliable ebay seller which only set me back $35 shipped. I wasn't taking any chances this time with corrosion so I applied Liquid Tape to the exposed wiring where it attaches to the grounding plate. Problem is finally solved.

Bottom line: Keep an eye on that ground if you have an '05. I can only naturally assume the grounding point is similar on any of the first gen Pilots.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2004 Pilot with 215K miles on it and I just got the flashing D. The code was P0743. After reading 19 pages in this thread, I have yet to see that code.

I drained the tranny fluid (~3.5 qts) and put in new. When I attempted to drive it, D was still flashing so I cleared the code and it immediately came back and does so every time. When I put it in Drive, I get high RPMs and the car barely moves. It will go in reverse, I have not tried other gears.

I tried the paperclip trick in post #187 and the results made no sense. The D just blinks at a steady pace, no pauses, no short and no long blinks. The Check engine blinks 7 and nothing so I'm assuming 70.

Based on the 19 pages I read I should probably try replacing the 3rd and 4th pressure switch? I'm concerned because I haven't seen P0743 in relation to this thread. I found this thread which mentions a solenoid inside the torque converter and that's it.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
1 Posts
do you know where the grounding point is?
i have codes
p0966
p0962
p0974
p0980

im changing solenoid # 3 or 4 and ordered the harness, how do you install it?
i am also draining and refilling the transmision

261 - 279 of 279 Posts