Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

241 - 260 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Mother-in-law got a DTC D-light code of 46. :(

Does anybody have the OEM shop manual for the 2003-2004 Pilot. I cannot find this code anywhere else. If you do have this book, turn to the beginning of the Automatic-Transmission section. Then find the sub-section marked "DTC Troubleshooting Index". It should be within the first few pages of the Automatic-Transmission section. The blink codes are shown next to the "P" codes inside parentheses....ie: Pxxxx (46-1)

If there is more than one code 46 (46-1 46-2 46-3), please let me know what each of them is described as.

Thanks so much for anyone's help!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Mother-in-law got a DTC D-light code of 46. :(

Does anybody have the OEM shop manual for the 2003-2004 Pilot. I cannot find this code anywhere else. If you do have this book, turn to the beginning of the Automatic-Transmission section. Then find the sub-section marked "DTC Troubleshooting Index". It should be within the first few pages of the Automatic-Transmission section. The blink codes are shown next to the "P" codes inside parentheses....ie: Pxxxx (46-1)

If there is more than one code 46 (46-1 46-2 46-3), please let me know what each of them is described as.

Thanks so much for anyone's help!
P1750(46) : D-Blinks : MIL-Off : Mechanical problem in hydraulic system

Attachments

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Thanks so much N_Jay. This one looks tricky. According to the parts diagram, there are 4 different "Solenoid Assembly A & B" valves. One each on top, and one each on the front. I guess we can try and replace them all at ~$28 each. I have a feeling she is just going to sell it this time. :(

Sigh.

Any chance you could take pictures of section 14-120 also? :D
If not, no problem.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Oh wow thanks. That was NOT the solenoid I was expecting. The parts diagram lists this as a Linear Solenoid whatever that means. Thanks so much. I wonder if I can just pop this sucker off and clean out the screens or something.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If it's 4 slow, then it's code 40. If it's two slow two fast, it's code 22.
I know, but wondering if anyone could watch the video and tell me if those are slow or fast flashes. I looked at the 09-10 repair manual and read that one long flash is equivalent to 10 short ones, so these might all be short ones. If so, what is code 04?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Oh sorry I didn't notice the link for some reason. That is 4 long blinks, so transmission code 40.

According to my Acura TL manual, a trans code 40 is - Torque converter clutch circuit performance or stuck off

The TL manual has this to say:

TL Manual DTC P0741 (blink code 40) said:
1- warm up the engine.
2- Check to be sure the trans is filled to the proper level and check for fluid leaks.
3- Drain ATF through a paint strainer. Look for contamination (small pieces of metal or friction material) in the strainer. NOTE: If little or no contamination is found in the strainer, the ATF is OK. Discoloration, small chips or flakes, metal fuzz and slightly "burnt" smell is considered normal. Is the ATF OK? YES- Replace the ATF then go to step 4. No- Repair or replace the transmission.
4- Clear the DTC (code) with the HDS (you probably can't do this).
5- Select LOCKUP SOL TEST in MISCELLANEOUS TEST MENU, then carry out AT LOCKUP SOL A test in LOCKUP SOL TEST MENU with the HDS. Is a clicking sound heard? Yes- Go to step 6. No- Replace torque converter clutch solenoid valve then go to step 10.
6- Select LINEAR SOL TEST in MISCELLANEOUS TEST MENU, then carry out LINEAR SOL C TEST in LINEAR SOL TEST MENU. Is the system OK? Yes- Go to step 7. No- Follow instructions indicated on the HDS by the tester result. Got to step 10 if any part was replaced.
7- Run the engine until the engine coolant temp reaches 176*F.
8- Test-drive the vehicle at 55mph for 2 minutes while monitoring the vehicle speed with the HDS.
9- Check the OBD STATUS in DTCs MENU for a pass/fail test of code P0741. Did the result indicate a fail? Yes- repair or replace the transmission. No- Intermittent failure, the system is OK at this time. If the tester indicates NOT COMPLETE, return to step 8 and recheck.
10- Clear the DTC with the HDS.
11. Test-drive the vehicle for several minutes under the same conditions as those indicated by the freeze data.
12. Check the OBD STATUS in DTCs. MENU for a pass fail test of code P0741. YES- The problem has been corrected. NO- Return to step 1 and recheck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the video. It is very helpful. Just wondering if this would be relevant to the 2011 Honda Pilot. Also, where would I find the 2nd gear pressure switch? Which wheel would I have to remove?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Does anyone experiencing on their 03-05 PILOT, ticking, hissing noise on REVERSE, DRIVE, and or any gear, while stop, then release the brake either or REVERSE or DRIVE, it hesitate or its looking for the gear upon acceleration, OR the PILOT just stall while on all gears. Restart the Pilot, engine is fine engage it to gear, still making noise and release the brake slowly, a little hesitation, feels like your engaging the clutch to the gear, and the engine will accelerate or its gonna stall. Pilot start moving, after the Pilot runs but still hesitating on 1, 2, 3 after that is fine. When you slowdown thats the time the tranny start to hesitate or its gonna stall.

No check engine light, no blinking D light at all. Brought it to my mechanic, he can't find any code, so he told me to bring it to Honda Dealer to pull the Codes Out. :(. He mentioned am gonna need a rebuilt tranny.

I called and talked to my buddy who is a mechanic out of state. He is learning on rebuilding transmission right now. He told me, my tranny on my Pilot is loosing pressure, that means I need to replace my tranny to a rebuilt one, Eventhough I start thinkering the solenoids on the tranny right now. Flush the tranny oil, change the outer filter. It will not work. Its inside the tranny, plus the whinning bearings in the tranny. Typical to Honda V6, He said.

This is sound like I am gonna need a Rebuilt tranny :(.. Anyone knows any reputable tranny shop around Long Island? I don't want to go to my local stealer to replace my tranny. I want to keep this baby for another 2-3years before I dispense it.

I found these two tranny shop, one in Brentwood called Globe Transmission, and second is the one in Maspeth Queens called DJ's Auto & Truck Repair Center.

DJ's Auto- my Brother in laws when their for the S2000 tranny prob and Mini Cooper tranny prob too.. Reputable by far.

Globe Transmission- I need to do some research on this one. Local and close to me.

I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Rocky- Ive check the company and BBB have bad report and evaluation.

Anyways, I had tried pulling the CEL code, TRANNY & VTM-4 code by using a bent paper clip and plugged it to the OBD2 #4 & #9 as shown diagram on this threads.

Check engine -Amber solid light
D-drive- Green solid light
VTM-4 -blinking 7 long blinks and 7 short burst blinks (Code-77 which is the EGR??)- correction- replace PCM of VTM-4 as per service Manual..:(

Can this be related to the Torque Converter noise issue am having?

By the way the mileage of the Pilot is 148,163 miles and bought on 2002 of July.

Any opinion or suggestion?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Update: I had my Pilot transmission rebuilt due to lacking torque convertor. Repair cost $2k includes, new solenoids, new torque convertors, new bearings, all new filters and transmission overhaul.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As always, I appreciate those who've posted before me. Our 2011 Pilot EX (2WD, 122K miles) just experienced this. Wife (primary driver) reported "check engine" light and flashing "D" on instrument panel began simultaneously. She pulled over, shut off the engine, and re-started. Check engine light remained lit but flashing D did not recur. I tried my OBD II scanner but no dice (as others have reported). Then, I spent the rest of the evening reading this thread.

Next day, dropped at dealer, who diagnosed as failed "3rd gear pressure switch (sending unit)". Part was $60 and labor and tax brought the total service to $217.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was able to read the code using a cheap bluetooth ODB adapter and the Torque app on my android phone. I think my bluetooth adapter was about $15 on ebay and Torque is about $5. I drive a VW so I like being able to scan while I'm on the side of the road dead ;)

Also my dealer only charged me for the part, but we were just over the 30K warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
04 Pilot. 183k miles Tried doing the above ODBII Jump-out Method. Only difference between jumpering and not jumpering was that the VTM-4 light stayed solid when jumpering. No other flashing lights. The vehicle was at a shop a few weeks ago. Vehicle was brought in because when it was put in gear after start, person would hear loud BANG, then car would shut off. Put back in park, restart, put in gear, loud BANG, cut off. Towed to shop. Started fine there. They kept it for 2 weeks, replaced timing belt, water pump, belts, hoses, motor mounts, etc for $2k. :headshak: 7 days later Pilot does the same thing again, and shop says must be transmission, bring it back and for $4k we will replace.

Flashing "D" had been happening for 2+ years randomly. Every once in a while person would get a minor slip, or small "thud" as they called it. Wrote it off as a hiccup. Has done the hard thud at start twice in 1 month now. I have had it for a few days, started multiple times, and it shifts perfect. Did notice a light slip sitting a red light earlier, but when light turn green pulled off just fine and shifted through all gears no trouble.

Question: Because the battery was disconnected and the "D" has not flashed since the shop a few weeks ago, no codes stored, but did not flash "D" during last major shut off when put in gear. Would it be worth while trying to band aid and do the 3rd and 4th pressure switch, or does this sound more like new tranny time??

241 - 260 of 279 Posts