Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

221 - 240 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
What is your cart total price when plugged in that coupon code? The coupon ONLY takes if your order total is over $100. That means you have to assemble a $100 order before you can enter the code and click apply (not estimate).

These are the parts with online prices for an 05. Expect to pay almost twice as much at your local dealer:

#11 28600-RAY-003 x1 $37.43
#12 28610-RAY-003 x1 $37.43
#16 90471-PW7-A00 x2 $2.00 each

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/parts-catalog/honda/pilot/2005/5dr-exl/ka5at/transmission-automatic/at-sensor-solenoid-05

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thank you; I was applying the code to an amount below $100.
Interesting how the sensors for the 2004 model year cost more: $46/$52...
The transmission diagram for 2004 looks the same as the one you posted for 2005 so I will be tackling these from the driver side fender as posted in this thread http://www.piloteers.org/forums/18-maintenance/27348-diy-replacing-transmission-pressure-switches.html

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/parts-catalog/honda/pilot/2004/5dr-exl-res/ka5at/transmission-automatic/at-sensor-solenoid--04

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
It's easy to do, but you need a large wrench. A 22mm open-end wrench should make it easy. I think I managed the job with an O2 sensor socket too. Just be careful not to go crazy on torque when installing them. The threaded portion of the sensor is hollow kinda like a spark plug, but much smaller.

Yes the 04 has more expensive switches. I have an 04 too. Oh well.

BTW: Unlike what the video says, the switches don't get clogged. Their internal diaphragm ages which causes them loose their calibration.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks for the tips.
I bought a 22mm deep socket from autozone for $5. Waiting for the switches to arrive got a bunch of fender liner clips from ebay in case I break any...

so what do I expect after replacing these switches? Smoother shifts? Don't notice any difference right now it shifts smoothly...
I also wonder if the whistling noise I have been trying to diagnose is due to the fault 4th gear switch? It is a pressure switch right?
http://www.piloteers.org/forums/14-problems/15550-2003-pilot-high-pitch-whistling-noise-3.html#post414753

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I'm not so sure a deep socket is going to work. There will be no room to stick a ratchet onto it due to the frame being in the way. It's probably easiest to use a large adjustable wrench or a combination wrench. The O2 sensor socket I used was kinda flat & C shaped. Still not ideal.

·
Registered
234 Posts
replaced both switches (3rd and 4th gear) and their washers today... yeah it was pretty straight forward lost a very small amount of fluid when i took out the 4th gear switch but still just below top max level. I disconnected the battery negative cable to clear out the 27 D code afterwards. The 22mm deep socket was useful on the 4th switch but had to use a wrench for the 3rd gear switch.

I still hear that whistling noise when i give it gas while driving... oh well, maybe it was not transmission related... hope to one day soon find out what i causing that noise...
http://www.piloteers.org/forums/14-problems/15550-2003-pilot-high-pitch-whistling-noise-3.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all. I've been lurking on this issue for quite some time and the info has been very valuable. Thank you all. I have an '05 LX w/ 110K on it and I first saw the flashing 'D' three months ago. The car drives fine otherwise. After the paperclip trick it showed a code 27. After having the 4th gear pressure switch swapped out it still did it. After a second one, it still did it. My shop (who specializes in only Hondas) reset the computer on the third visit and after that it went away. According to them it could be a bad computer, which they didn't recommend shotgunning out because it's almost a grand.

Today, three months later, it's back. So here's the question: I'm getting ready to throw almost $2K into this thing (tires, T belt, water pump, plugs, etc). I'm getting gun shy about doing it thinking I may be throwing good money after bad (it's probably worth $7K on a good day). Is it time to cut my losses on this thing and sell it or am I just overreacting? (i.e. just live with the light). I could probably cope with a gremlin. Replacing the Tranny? Not so much...

Advice appreciated and T.I.A.
So here's the fly in the ointment. First off, I've done nothing except drive it since the last posting. At the time of the last writing (About 30 days ago), the battery died. Yeah, that's right. This one is without "auto" headlights so if you leave 'em on - it's dead. After that (I'm guessing a computer reset?) I"ve not seen the damn flashing "D" since. It is as solid as a rock.

Now, a little history. My job is to fly $50M+ jets all over the world. Back in the day there were lots of airplanes that would present problems from time to time. The recommended course of action was to disconnect the battery, let it sit, and then reconnect. Hell, even in present day that's basically what we do to correct errors and it works 90% of the time. I think I might be overreacting????

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yes rule of thumb when you want to clear the codes is to disconnect the battery for a few seconds. I had code 27 as well and did not auto-clear after replacing the 4th gear switch.;)

Sent from my LG-MS770 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well I am back after many years cause I have the same problem you guys have. We are in the Pilot right now on the way back from Florida going to South Carolina and it did it this morning. We stopped for lunch and I checked the fluids and they are clean and smell fresh, so I assumed it was an electrical issue and/or a sensor and no cause for immediate alarm. So we proceeded and I let my wife drive and I read this thread (some of it) on the laptop. Been driving for the last couple hours now and the light is not blinking. Hopefully it won't again, but obviously, a sensor sent a reading the computer didn't like. Fortunately, it looks like you guys have found some solutions as the dealer will most likely just want to replace the tranny or th car. I do have a very good independent Honda mechanic, however. Anyway we have loved and cared for this car for many years, an 04 with 125K miles. Last year I replaced the timing belt, water pump, and plugs, had a major service and it got new tires and the year before that it had a complete brake job and motor mounts. We plan to keep this car till 200K hopefully, and make all that worthwhile. There is no such thing as a payment free car, but when repairs have you making payments, what's the point? Any more than $2000 a year is not worth it and I'm way below that. Should be $1000 a year to be worthwhile. I also just got my second Honda, an 05 Acura RL which I love. Now that car scares me, with all the tech toys! I almost need my own HDS tool!

I will do a simple reset of the battery when I get home, but has the tranny computer stored the code that flashed the "D" light earlier today? And will resetting the battery connection erase that stored code? I am very nervous to try that paperclip trick as one wrong connection can fry the computer. wish someone made a plug in jumper.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just got P 0847'ed earlier today after....

incidentally, it within an hour after I had just installed a few LED light strips, off the headlight and connected the ground to the frame.

But its running fine. Had the codes read at a local independent mechanic and he reset the codes from the reader but its still recurred w/i an hour of his reset.

Going to try the battery cable reset now and give it a drive this evening and keep y'all posted.

A 2010 Pilot with 61K.....

·
Registered
214 Posts
So while it did pop up a few times on Saturday, it's been gone the last 3 days.

Only thing to note.....I installed a few LED light strips 2 hours BEFORE I got the P0847 engine code.

Even though it was no where NEAR the tranny, (one wire to the headlight wire and the other ground to the car frame), I can't help but wonder if it triggered the code????

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the flashing D go on everyday. Anyone know why that happens? When it does flash, I feel like as I drive the car say around 40 mph, it doesn't feel like I'm driving around that speed. Is it a transmission problem? My dad passed the car down to me. It is a 2006 2wd LX and he hasn't done any maintenance on it at all besides oil changes. I just got a tuneup a couple of months ago regarding timing belt, air filters, and water pump. The car has 118,000 plus miles. I do need a transmission fluid drain?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
I have the flashing D go on everyday. Anyone know why that happens? When it does flash, I feel like as I drive the car say around 40 mph, it doesn't feel like I'm driving around that speed. Is it a transmission problem? My dad passed the car down to me. It is a 2006 2wd LX and he hasn't done any maintenance on it at all besides oil changes. I just got a tuneup a couple of months ago regarding timing belt, air filters, and water pump. The car has 118,000 plus miles. I do need a transmission fluid drain?
You need to get he code read so you know what the problem is.

Ignoring trouble lights is trouble!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Is it a transmission problem? The car has 118,000 plus miles. I do need a transmission fluid drain?
As NJ stated the first most important thing to do is diagnose the issue properly. If you read this thread in its entirety you will see that many piloteers(including myself) gambled and just replaced the 4th pressure switch and LUCKILY the issue went away.

Read the entire threads for this issue...If this is the kind of thing you would try yourself, you can save yourself a lot of $, you will see how to diagnose the problem, change fluid, and replace pressure switch(s). If its not the kind of thing you will tackle yourself you will at least be better armed against possible incompetence and/or BS at the service counter .

Re Fluid:
Look in the owners manual...did your dad follow the schedule?

221 - 240 of 279 Posts