Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needed a second key for 2009 Pilot.
Bought OEM key with immobilizer blank form Honda Parts Online.
Dealer cut it for free.
I did the DIY programming (on, lock btn, off, one lock btn, off x 4
At the last one it clicked adn functioned to lock and unlock the doors.

However, it wont start the car - key light remains flashing green.

Done this successfully on other Hondas. So which is more likely: dealer cut key wrong, bad OEM key/transponder, other?

Thanks

·
Registered
749 Posts
That method only programs the keyless, not the immobilizer. Needs to be programmed to the immobilizer, which you need a scanner with programming function to accomplish.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
520 Posts
There's apparently a little module on Ebay for $45 that you plug into your OBDII port that will allow you to add an immobilizer key to your car. I haven't tried one yet, but other users on here said it worked for them.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,184 Posts
If you have the old key fob transfer the transponder module to the new fob. Use hot glue or similar to mount it in place. The module is small and rectangular; about 1/2” x 1/8”.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's apparently a little module on Ebay for $45 that you plug into your OBDII port that will allow you to add an immobilizer key to your car. I haven't tried one yet, but other users on here said it worked for them.
Interesting. My dealer only wants $50 (only, ha). But they did cut my key for free.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
You have a nice dealer. I’m sure mine would charge me over $100 to cut a key.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I’d be ecstatic if my dealer did it for free, but if the dealer had to charge me what a local locksmith would that would be acceptable. I’m not a good enough customer at my local dealer for them to throw me a freebie . . . I only go there if it’s a service I can’t (or have no desire to) do. And I never buy parts from them since they markup 30-40% above list. So I know I won’t get any favors from them, nor do I expect any. But a good service advisor should throw a bone to a loyal customer every once in a while.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just got that 40 dollar progamming device that fits in OBD2 port straight outta Hong Kong. It is doa. Light turns on but no buzzing or beeping like instructions say. Just FYI may not be worth the wait for shipping. Seems like a great side hustle if it workes though! Back to the local locksmith who wants 55 to program key. He charged 30 to cut the blank on. Between that and the used transponder from ebay i have 48 in so far. So 103 by piece milling around and a buch of wasted time. Im thinking i went about it the wrong way.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts