Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a hand me down 2009 Pilot with 270k miles. The D light flashes sporadically and the transmission is obviously struggling. Hard shifts up and down. Hesitating shifts. I scanned and came up with no codes. I jumped the OBD port with a wire and got 28 flashes. I think that is the atf temp sensor. But like I said. No codes came up.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,165 Posts
If you used the OBD2 jumper method and saw codes blink on the dash, but your scan tool is unable to decipher them, then you need a Honda specific scan tool. Since you deciphered the tranny temp sensor get it replaced. I recommend using OEM parts for this.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,165 Posts
And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
The condition of the ATF makes a big difference in how the Honda transmission shifts. If your Pilot has not had recent ATF fluid change, plan to do so ASAP. Avoid the power flush services, do a simple drain and refill. Takes about 3 and 1/2 quarts of new fluid. Use Honda DW-1 fluid, or Valvoline Maxlife synthetic ATF. If the drained fluid is dark, then repeat the D&F twice more, with a couple of days driving between changes.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Even with a pro-level scanner the code for my flashing "D" was PO700 which is just a generic non-specific trans code. As mentioned a Honda specific scanner should identify the issue. Bite the bullet and stop by the Honda dealer. Sounds like you're experiencing more trans symptoms than what I had. Mine was a relatively simple pressure switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Went to Honda dealership today. Car drove fine on way there. No flashing D light. Shifting was better but still a little harsh in my opinion. No hard codes were stored and tech could not get it to replicate. I’ll just keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Should have got a drain+fill while at the dealer. Inexpensive maintenance. Since there were no stored codes drive until it happens again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did the drain and fill myself this afternoon. $30 compared to $150. I’m on a budget. And it made a HUGE difference in how the car drives. This car sat for almost a year without being driven. Hopefully it just needs some upkeep and to be driven. I’m still impressed at how much of an impact new ATF made. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Glad that it helped. Lots of Pilot owners use a more frequent transmission fluid schedule than Honda recommends. And I have seen Valvoline Maxlife referred to as "The elixir of youth" for Honda trannies. Wishing you many more miles!

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
Had that (minus the rough shifting) on my 2011 while it was still under warranty - turned out to be a faulty pressure switch.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Had that (minus the rough shifting) on my 2011 while it was still under warranty - turned out to be a faulty pressure switch.
Good to know replacing a faulty pressure switch solved your problem. Keep up with trans fluid maintenance too

1 - 13 of 13 Posts