Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am having an issue again with my 07 pilot, 133000 miles. After the dealership had my car for 2 weeks, the initial problem was fixed, something about the timing gear not set right. Picked the car up Thursday, no issues. Drove it again Saturday, was good at first, then all of a sudden, there was a horrid burning smell, followed by lights coming on. My passenger door indicator and brake lamp. This is also when the flashing d showed up. No loss of power, no shifting issues. Here's where it gets strange. When the car is on, I have these lights on and my interior lights stay on, but if I turn my headlights on, they go out. Also my fob only works if the headlights are on. Bought it back to be looked at, it was scanned and came back with the 0499 evap code and a transmission code. I don't know the code number, but he said it's a sensor that tells the transmission what gear it's in. Obviously something is shorted out. Any advice?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,024 Posts
Did the burning scent smell like an electrical burn? If it did I would start by looking at the components and wiring in the fuse boxes. It will be obvious if something fried.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It did, we assumed that it was from the shop not really hoping up the battery, the terminals were not even hand tight. We pulled the fuse for the interior lights so it would not drain the battery, it was not popped, but it looks burnt. Would a short here cause the transmission code?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,024 Posts
My first guess is the flashing D and the other issues are not related. Flashing D normally results from transmission pressure switch faults.

I would really look into what burned during the electrical fault. Use your eyes and nose to trace down the source of the problem and get it fixed. If all of the weird behavior comes from circuits on a particular fuse box start there. Electrical issues are never easy to track down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. We will look at the box under the dash on the passenger side as that's where the burnt interior fuse was. Strange that both issues have simultaneously, it's really thrown us off.

·
Registered
850 Posts
It did, we assumed that it was from the shop not really hoping up the battery, the terminals were not even hand tight. We pulled the fuse for the interior lights so it would not drain the battery, it was not popped, but it looks burnt. Would a short here cause the transmission code?
Poor battery connections could cause all kinds of trouble codes to appear. The transmission is controlled by the computer, and a bad ground can raise all kinds of problems. Did you reconnect the battery terminals? If the Pilot is running ok now, just erase all the codes and start over. Sounds like the shop left the cables loose and triggered all kinds of codes on you. I think they owe you some free diagnostic work. I wouldn't trust the flurry of codes you had. Reset and see if trouble codes reappear.

·
Registered
24 Posts
You need to replace your transmission pressure switches as soon as possible. Ignoring them can lead to transmission failure. That will take care of the flashing D.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just picked my car up from being diagnosed. I have a burned wire in my dash. They said that can cause all my problems, so, this weekend, that will be our project. I am really disappointed in my Honda. Only 133000 miles, so many problems. We still have not figured out what's causing the 0499 high voltage code problem either. Replaced purge valve, pressure regulator, and canister, no fix. Shop said the burnt wires can cause it, but I've had this code close to 2 months, long before the burn. Did I just get a bad car?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts