Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had a chance to get the codes read, but I figured the symptoms might point to an obvious problem that someone here could identify.

This has happened 2 or 3 times now. Under hard acceleration (pedal to the floor) for more than 3 seconds, my Pilot will behave normally and accelerate quickly but the check engine light will flash a couple of times, and then the VTM-4 light will come on steady (CEL stops flashing) for the remainder of my trip. The next time I start the car, no lights are on. As long as I drive normally, without putting the pedal to the floor, these lights never come on.

Unfortunately, each of the times they have come on, I was on the way to work or somewhere where I could not go directly to Auto Zone before turning off the car and get the codes read.

Does anybody have any idea what this could be? Dirty EGR valve?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
If it only happens when you put the pedal to the metal, for starters when was the last time the VTM-4 fluid was checked or changed?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Read the codes. You can get an HDS cable on the Ebay for about $10 or use the pin 9-4 jumper trick and read the blinks. Post here whatever codes you got.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Those are cylinder misfire codes and the ABS PCM malfunction code. If you clear it and it returns on its own with no other codes, the FSM p. 19-84 recommends substituting PCM and VSA modulator for known good units.
I sould start by checking the battery, its posts, clamps, and cables. Move on to the alternator and ground points to make sure electrical is fine before you start throwing away money on parts.
You should read 12.3V battery and 14.6V alternator with the engine running.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It ended up being a stuck open purge valve. Never heard of that before. CEL is off now.
I am also curious as to how you came to your final diagnosis.

On a side note, while I am admittedly new to Hondas and the Pilot, I have spent plenty of time diagnosing and repairing other makes and models of vehicles, many of which were less than reliable. That said, it is my understanding that a flashing engine light pretty much universally signals misfires. In other words, if you are seeing a flashing CEL, you are having misfires. It will go solid if/when that clears up. Either way, you'll still see codes if you pull them with a scan tool.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hondas can fake misfires too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts