Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this was posted or not. If so, please ignore...

I picked up my Pilot in late December. The trip home from the dealership was mostly streets, so I probably didn't go above 35mph.

Following day, I got on the highway and immediately heard this terrible howling noise coming from the roof as soon as I was moving passed 35mph. At 60, the noise was unbearable.

I took a look at the roofrack and didn't notice anything loose or awkward with it.

Looking at it the next morning, I realized that the crossrails were put on backwards! The crossrails should be placed with a larger side in front and the smaller pointed end towards the back. Having these reversed causes the terrible howling noise becuase the rails are not cutting through the wind correctly.

Aside from the noise, you can also tell if they are incorrectly installed if they are slightly tilted downwards toward the back of the truck. They should be tilted forward (thus cutting the wind correctly).

Anyway, mentioned it to the dealership by phone (they apologized) and went to my local mechanic to have them reversed. Annoying howling noise gone.

Hope this helps out someone else.

*cheers* :2:

·
Registered
191 Posts
STILL having crossbar install problems?

It amazes me that dealerships are STILL putting those on backwards. This was an issue way back in July when I first picked up my Pilot. You'd think they would've done enough of them by now to get them right! Apparently not!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what's even funnier is that each cross rail had a huge sticker on it that says "F" for front and "R" for rear......yet the "R"s were all in the front......

oh well, that's my only issue with the Pilot (thank God) :)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Actually it is the sticker that causes the problem. The sticker is to tell the dealer which bar goes on the front of the rails, not to tell them which side of the bar faces forward. The two crossbars are not the same size.:1:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sigh, I should have came here first... This has been driving me crazy for weeks. The bolts on the front cross bar of our 08 came loose and caused a rattle that took me forever to figure out. Realized the torx bolts were stripped out and I couldn't tighten them. In the meantime took the front bar off so we didn't lose it into someones windshield behind us. Got some new bolts with lock nuts and put the front cross bar back on and have had constant annoying wind noise since. I was ready to remove the bars totally when I finally decided to do some searching. I'm 99% sure I put the front bar on backwards after reading this. Thank You!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Not sure if this was posted or not. If so, please ignore...

I picked up my Pilot in late December. The trip home from the dealership was mostly streets, so I probably didn't go above 35mph.

Following day, I got on the highway and immediately heard this terrible howling noise coming from the roof as soon as I was moving passed 35mph. At 60, the noise was unbearable.

I took a look at the roofrack and didn't notice anything loose or awkward with it.

Looking at it the next morning, I realized that the crossrails were put on backwards! The crossrails should be placed with a larger side in front and the smaller pointed end towards the back. Having these reversed causes the terrible howling noise becuase the rails are not cutting through the wind correctly.

Aside from the noise, you can also tell if they are incorrectly installed if they are slightly tilted downwards toward the back of the truck. They should be tilted forward (thus cutting the wind correctly).

Anyway, mentioned it to the dealership by phone (they apologized) and went to my local mechanic to have them reversed. Annoying howling noise gone.

Hope this helps out someone else.

*cheers* :2:
\\

Yes, just like an aircraft wing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts