Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
PILOT LX 2006 - BLACK
14 Posts
Be sure to inspect the other 3 sub-frame mounting points as there may be additional rust damage. It might be worth it to perform the same repair on the opposite side sub-frame mount so the sub-frame is bolted on evenly. With similar metal cut pieces the welder could perform the task in one trip.
I dont believe that this is reasonable considering the condition of my vehicle. I am also not eager to get into a job under the fuel tank and on the other side there are not very accessible. This is the low hanging fruit

·
Registered
PILOT LX 2006 - BLACK
14 Posts
Be sure to inspect the other 3 sub-frame mounting points as there may be additional rust damage. It might be worth it to perform the same repair on the opposite side sub-frame mount so the sub-frame is bolted on evenly. With similar metal cut pieces the welder could perform the task in one trip.
The front ones are not easily accessible and one would even required a gas tank removal. The reat one on the passenger side I believe stays in much better shape because it is located right beside the muffler which helps keep the frame dry.

·
Registered
PILOT LX 2006 - BLACK
14 Posts
Clear picture. So yup, time to git'er done. Drive slowly and safely to your guy.
Ok so I did the job yesterday. Fixing the problem was much easier than getting all of the old stuff off to make it repairable. So before the welder arrived I stripped out the back seat fully expecting to have to cut in from the top to get the broken sleeve out. In the end we did not have to go that route. So we pried open the space between the frame and the frame to slip in a pipe wrench. I used vice grips on the dial of the pipe wrench to tighten the wrench onto the sleeve. The nut below i believe is a 14 mm. The impact drill did nothing to move it. I had been applying penetrating oil religiously each second day for the week prior. I had to put a box underneath with tinfoil to catch all the oil dripping off of it. We used a breaker bar with a 4 foot extension for additional leverage. We broke the first pipe wrench (shaft going up to the top teeth snapped) The second pipe wrench held I am surprised the head of the bolt did not snap off. It took about 45 min to get the damn thing out. After that we used my 4 foot extension bar (1 in x 1 in square) and an old aluminum softball bat to pry open the gap between the frame and the sub-frame to pull the broken sleeve out. After that was done it was easy going.

My plates were similar to the pictures above. The bolt I used was 9/16 in x 4 inches long. Auto grade 8 bolt purchased at LS Auto Parts Inc. I had to use my grinder to take off the rear corner of the plate so it would not hook up on the frame. We welded the nut to the plate. The little bit of protrusion on the frame was cut off with a grinder and the stuff in the back was bent up with a pry bar to get it up out of the way. With the upper plate in place, we jacked up the sub-frame put the second plate in place and welded it all together.

Dissassembly took 2.5 hrs, assembly took 1.5 hrs

I have attached a sketch of what I got cut in terms of platework. I did 1/4 in plate but would probably use 3/8 if I was going to do it again. The piece welded to the frame was longer because there was a small recession on the frame and I wanted to get to good steel on the other side of that small depression. I hope you find this helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
PILOT LX 2006 - BLACK
14 Posts
How do you fix all the wiring issues? I was told that the wires were stretched when the mounts broke.
I did not see any streched wires. On top of that the three other mounts seemed to hold very well . I did not see anything other than the mount itself damaged. Hope this helps

·
Registered
PILOT LX 2006 - BLACK
14 Posts
Horrible welding, very un-professional. With this much porosity the weld will start rusting again in no time at all. I suspect he was welding over rust.
What did Honda do to cause such localized rusting? This gotta be intentional and calculated. There should be a recall and a criminal trial.
Are you a welder? I would say that this is not exactly the ideal place for a welding job. Once ground down the sub steel remains very porous for the corrosion making a good weld almost impossible.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ive got the same problem on my 08, but not to that extent. I plan cutting out the rusted area and welding new metal inside and capping it with a saddle as well. I plan on welding and reinforcing a nut on the backside of the inner plate to secure it. Currently looking at new bushings for the subfram then all I need is a weekend and some time at work to do it. I am a trailer mechanic so not new to welding dont worry. Will update as I go. Will probably do both sides while Im under it based off of some preventative maintenance and I want to get a leveling kit come spring.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Ive got the same problem on my 08, but not to that extent. I plan cutting out the rusted area and welding new metal inside and capping it with a saddle as well. I plan on welding and reinforcing a nut on the backside of the inner plate to secure it. Currently looking at new bushings for the subfram then all I need is a weekend and some time at work to do it. I am a trailer mechanic so not new to welding dont worry. Will update as I go. Will probably do both sides while Im under it based off of some preventative maintenance and I want to get a leveling kit come spring.

View attachment 144058
I'm glad my 08 hasn't got this bad, - Yet.

I did spray the area with that fluid Film stuff though. And, I did stay at a holiday Inn Express last night too LOL

Look forward to seeing your repair.
I recommend starting your own thread on this. Who agrees?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Part of me likes separate threads on certain topics but keeping subframe repairs here makes it a bit easier to find. The subframe repair pathway for each owner will be somewhat similar whether it’s rust mediation, welding or bolting plates together to solve the problem. Nice to see what works or doesn’t work. Glad to see some Piloteers have successful repairs to fix this terminal problem and get the Pilot back on the road as safely as possible. IMO the majority of Pilots with a major subframe issues are likely going to be discarded.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Part of me likes separate threads on certain topics but keeping subframe repairs here makes it a bit easier to find. The subframe repair pathway for each owner will be somewhat similar whether it’s rust mediation, welding or bolting plates together to solve the problem. Nice to see what works or doesn’t work. Glad to see some Piloteers have successful repairs to fix this terminal problem and get the Pilot back on the road as safely as possible. IMO the majority of Pilots with a major subframe issues are likely going to be discarded.
If and when I need to look these up though,
For me,
It's easier to look at a few threads, rather than look at 20++++ pages of one thread. This is on #6 page now.
JMHO

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,292 Posts
I am a trailer mechanic so not new to welding dont worry. Will update as I go. Will probably do both sides while Im under it based off of some preventative maintenance and I want to get a leveling kit come spring.

Trailer mechanic with good welding experience. (y) Looking forward to seeing those pics.

Are you sure you want to do the right side, too? Never been reported as a problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Trailer mechanic with good welding experience. (y) Looking forward to seeing those pics.

Are you sure you want to do the right side, too? Never been reported as a problem.
In my thinking, I would like everything to be similar on it. I will make more of a decision when I start the repair. I do live in the midwest where snow is common. Also was thinking about doing it to based on wanting this to be my go to weekend camping/fishing vehicle. Sometimes towing a small boat or camper in the future.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm glad my 08 hasn't got this bad, - Yet.

I did spray the area with that fluid Film stuff though. And, I did stay at a holiday Inn Express last night too LOL

I will post here as its my original thread, to make it easier.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Don't worry Drek, I'm not really a thread/post Nazi.

Post it however you like, we'll all be checking it out/learning/etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just repaired this issue on my 2003. Looked just like the OP's before photo. After removing rusted bolt, I fabricated a full height U shaped saddle, slipped into place, and secured with heavy self tapping screws, thru the floor, from top down. This requires removing 3rd seat for access. Then a 8 x 1/2 inch thru bolt from top down pulled everything back together. I will post details with photos when I have more time
I have the same problem, did you ever post photos?

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
I have the same problem, did you ever post photos?
Yes, yes he did. Right this way, if you please...

·
Registered
9,505 Posts
Did Honda make any improvements in this area for 3rd gens? 🤞
There was a photo on the forum of a 3rd gen rusting quite nicely as did it's predecessors.

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
Any harm in repenting and restarting?

101 - 120 of 120 Posts