Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts
GetFurious, there are at least prices for the cross member pieces on Majestic's site, so they might still be available. All it takes is a phone call. I believe item 24 is the one in question.

View attachment 140064
If you call, post if they're available and what they're going for.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The rear sub-frame has 4 attachment points so it might be #24 and #25. Both crossmembers if available are very expensive. Lot of good tips from this forum about the DIY repair.
I understand they are very expensive and read pretty much the whole thread; I was just answering the question. Do the later models have the same problem? I'll have to take a peak under our 09 tomorrow.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I understand they are very expensive and read pretty much the whole thread; I was just answering the question. Do the later models have the same problem? I'll have to take a peak under our 09 tomorrow.
I designed the U-bracket repair posted on this forum for my 2003. If you want details, it's in the Problems forum. After 2 years the repair is still solid.

I now drive a 2018, and after looking underneath, I could see that Honda is still building the unit body in the same way. I suggest that you spray the inside of the rear crossmember with Fluid Film. It will creep through the existing rust and stop future rust, if it's not too bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Alright let's hope these pics went thru because I am using my old phone. If I remember I will get some of after photo for you guys. I'm more in the 3rd gen tacoma forum and CRX clubs so I'll try to remember. But here are some idea for the guys that want to try in the future

·
Registered
PILOT LX 2006 - BLACK
14 Posts

·
Registered
PILOT LX 2006 - BLACK
14 Posts
Hello my frame just cracked and was hoping you could answer a couple of questions? 1- how did you get the initial bolt off? I tried an impact drill with no success. Did you have to burn it off? would that not damage the cushion? 2- you really have a huge gap when installing the first plate. Did you jack the frame and let the lower axle hang only or did you have do undo the front cushion also to get that kind of clearance? After I cut off the bolt with a cutting disc, I am still going to need to get all the old stuff out and the gap that you have look very nice so I will need to find a way to duplicate. btw thanks for the photo share. clear concise simple and all business.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Hello my frame just cracked and was hoping you could answer a couple of questions? 1- how did you get the initial bolt off? I tried an impact drill with no success. Did you have to burn it off? would that not damage the cushion? 2- you really have a huge gap when installing the first plate. Did you jack the frame and let the lower axle hang only or did you have do undo the front cushion also to get that kind of clearance? After I cut off the bolt with a cutting disc, I am still going to need to get all the old stuff out and the gap that you have look very nice so I will need to find a way to duplicate. btw thanks for the photo share. clear concise simple and all business.
Are you fixing it on your own, are you taking it to a place in the Montreal area to have it done (where?), or are you a pro who's doing it for other people?

·
Registered
360 Posts
can you clarify - your frame cracked? Usually they rust out. Has the mount broken free from the body allowing the subframe to drop away from the body (as shown in the photos on the 1st page). Then you cut the cylindrical mount off above the subframe. My subframe is rusting out, but the mount hasn't separated from the body. I am waiting for this to happen to do the repair.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
I looked in these areas on out 08, that since 2009 has seen road salt here in Milwaukee area. There was some rust and corrosion, but not too severe- yet.

I got some of the ?Film? spray and sprayed the areas well to try and make it last longer.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts

·
Registered
PILOT LX 2006 - BLACK
14 Posts
Are you fixing it on your own, are you taking it to a place in the Montreal area to have it done (where?), or are you a pro who's doing it for other people?
No I am not a pro. I am a pilot owner. Have worked on mechanical issues long enough to see a good idea and what is proposed seems to be a real good idea. I know a welder who used for work for me. I measured up my pieces today and will get him to come and weld them

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
No I am not a pro. I am a pilot owner. Have worked on mechanical issues long enough to see a good idea and what is proposed seems to be a real good idea. I know a welder who used for work for me. I measured up my pieces today and will get him to come and weld them
If the welder you know is good and reasonable in what he charges, let those of us who are in the Montreal area know where he is for future reference.

·
Registered
PILOT LX 2006 - BLACK
14 Posts
can you clarify - your frame cracked? Usually they rust out. Has the mount broken free from the body allowing the subframe to drop away from the body (as shown in the photos on the 1st page). Then you cut the cylindrical mount off above the subframe. My subframe is rusting out, but the mount hasn't separated from the body. I am waiting for this to happen to do the repair.
You are right it rusted out on the donut under section that protrudes from the frame. When I jack up on the center jack piece it sends the pin right up into the frame. When i lower the jack it comes back out and sort of pounces as I let the jack down. The subframe is still connected at three other points. Here is a picture of what I have now.

·
Registered
9,241 Posts
Clear picture. So yup, time to git'er done. Drive slowly and safely to your guy.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I know a welder who used for work for me. I measured up my pieces today and will get him to come and weld them
Be sure to inspect the other 3 sub-frame mounting points as there may be additional rust damage. It might be worth it to perform the same repair on the opposite side sub-frame mount so the sub-frame is bolted on evenly. With similar metal cut pieces the welder could perform the task in one trip.

81 - 100 of 120 Posts