Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just repaired this issue on my 2003. Looked just like the OP's before photo. After removing rusted bolt, I fabricated a full height U shaped saddle, slipped into place, and secured with heavy self tapping screws, thru the floor, from top down. This requires removing 3rd seat for access. Then a 8 x 1/2 inch thru bolt from top down pulled everything back together. I will post details with photos when I have more time
what thickness metal did you use?

looking forward to photos

·
Registered
447 Posts
I used 1/8 thick angle and plate, overlapping and welded with 3/32 7014 rod. This is actually thicker than the crossmember material. I fabricated the saddle on workbench. The saddle completely encases the weakened section of the crossmember, eliminating any need to weld to it under the car

I will post details in a week, leaving town for son's wedding today.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I used 1/8 thick angle and plate, overlapping and welded with 3/32 7014 rod. This is actually thicker than the crossmember material. I fabricated the saddle on workbench. The saddle completely encases the weakened section of the crossmember, eliminating any need to weld to it under the car

congratulations !

·
Registered
174 Posts

Hi did you ever post details, i am looking to tackle this as well

·
Registered
21 Posts
After reading this post I decided to look at mine. I've got a 2005 EXL with 129000 miles. What are your opinions on the condition on mine? Looks like I have more rust on the parts rather the frame. Should I be concerned with all the rusted parts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't think that it looks that bad. If you look at your crossmember, just above the subframe mounting bolt, you can see 4 rust dots on the surface. These are the spot welds that secure the female threaded sleeve inside the crossmember. I think that the rust spots on the welds are superficial. Otherwise, that area looks okay. On my 2003, that area had a swollen, flaky, and rusty appearance for several months before it actually failed, and the sleeve pulled right out of the crossmember. The rusted crossmember had completely disintegrated from the sleeve spot welds on down. Keep an eye on it, but it looks okay right now.

I have posted some photos and more details on the repair that I did on my 2003. That was 3 months ago, and the repair is holding up perfectly so far. Look in the Problems Forum for my post on rusted subframe repair.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't think that it looks that bad. If you look at your crossmember, just above the subframe mounting bolt, you can see 4 rust dots on the surface. These are the spot welds that secure the female threaded sleeve inside the crossmember. I think that the rust spots on the welds are superficial. Otherwise, that area looks okay. On my 2003, that area had a swollen, flaky, and rusty appearance for several months before it actually failed, and the sleeve pulled right out of the crossmember. The rusted crossmember had completely disintegrated from the sleeve spot welds on down. Keep an eye on it, but it looks okay right now.

I have posted some photos and more details on the repair that I did on my 2003. That was 3 months ago, and the repair is holding up perfectly so far. Look in the Problems Forum for my post on rusted subframe repair.
Good to know thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would bring it to a welder who knows wtf they are doing. That botch job can be easily fixed with a little grinding and a real welder.

You need “Booger Weld” on the chart to demonstrate the OP’s welds. I’m sure that welder is not proud of their work being posted online, but it is an improvement on the situation that will likely outlive the rest of the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
Are you saying same problem or that he took pictures from that thread?
The pic of the rusted out subframe is identical. But on the ROC forum he posted as a 2007 Ridgeline, not a Pilot. But he didn't post the welded pic like here.

Different user name too. He was a 1 post wonder on the ROC, just like here. Note the join date here is the same as the posting date for the 1 post. The same on the ROC except it transpired Jan 2019 over there.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is it possibly some troll posting pictures of some totally different vehicle just to see if any of us catch that it’s not a ridgeline, or maybe not even a Pilot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I actually know the owner and the pilot, he's local to me. Stories legit. He's away at JAG training for the military so doubt he gets on here much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When your rear end come did your vtm 4 and abs lights come? Mine came on and they remain on after I fixed the rear crossmember so that means the rear drive doesn't work only the front end pulls if you have any info on this please share. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
No dealer will want to have anything to do with this abortion. Why would they hack it together and when it lets loose down the road ( and it will) they have a lawsuit on their hands. i wouldnt sell this to anyone either, once that baby lets go and someone finds out it was cheesed together, they're coming for you and the welder who did it. i got no problem if you want to hack it together so you can use it but dont ***** about the dealer not wanting anything to do with this unless its done right!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Sorry for the extremely delayed response...I was away for military training. 1 yearish update and 15k miles later (currently sitting at 225k)... everything is holding up well and still feels strong. I appreciate all of the input and advice on the welds and hope this thread at least motivated some people to take a look at this area on their pilot as the issue seems prevalent. My plan at this point is to keep this pilot until either the engine or transmission goes which hopefully is awhile down the road. For the amount I paid for the vehicle and what I use it for I couldn't be happier with it's performance thus far.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts