Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a 2016 Honda Pilot Touring and recently my wife reported that the Pilot will shut off completely at a stop light or when at a drive-thru restaurant. It's happened about 5 times now. I did some research on the forum and saw its a known issue with these vhicles and wanted to see if someone has a true way of fixing the problem? Some of the responses that I saw were switching out the battery, disabling the auto stop start permanently, and some had the starter motor swapped out by the dealer. I do have an extended warranty with only a few thousand miles left. What worked for you? Thank you

·
Registered
139 Posts
Get the biggest baddest AGM battery you can buy. That Auto-Stop needs a big battery. Someone on here told me that and it has solved slow starter issues.

Reactions: ys1219

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
This has been known to work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Get the biggest baddest AGM battery you can buy. That Auto-Stop needs a big battery. Someone on here told me that and it has solved slow starter issues.
I became a bit curious lately about how much the battery matters. I bought my 2016 Pilot Elite used back in early mid 2018 with about 60K ish miles. Got a great deal on it, dealt with only some minor issues/repairs, the cars at about 93K miles now.

All that to say, I've never really had electrical issues before but started noticing some things, like a lag in starting from auto-idle and etc. So I figured I'd replace it since I have no idea when or if it was ever replaced previously, went to Auto Zone, purchased a Optima Battery DH6 Group Size H6/LN3 800 CCA which costed around $300, wanted something good and with an excellent CCA since now I have to always have the car outside and live in northwest Indiana. Long story short, replaced the battery myself with ease, and learned from taking out the old that it was replaced at some point, and it as replaced with one of the cheapest batteries you can get, an Econocraft Battery H6-E Group Size 48 615 CCA. Who knows when it was put in, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it has.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
I became a bit curious lately about how much the battery matters. I bought my 2016 Pilot Elite used back in early mid 2018 with about 60K ish miles. Got a great deal on it, dealt with only some minor issues/repairs, the cars at about 93K miles now.

All that to say, I've never really had electrical issues before but started noticing some things, like a lag in starting from auto-idle and etc. So I figured I'd replace it since I have no idea when or if it was ever replaced previously, went to Auto Zone, purchased a Optima Battery DH6 Group Size H6/LN3 800 CCA which costed around $300, wanted something good and with an excellent CCA since now I have to always have the car outside and live in northwest Indiana. Long story short, replaced the battery myself with ease, and learned from taking out the old that it was replaced at some point, and it as replaced with one of the cheapest batteries you can get, an Econocraft Battery H6-E Group Size 48 615 CCA. Who knows when it was put in, I'm surprised it lasted as long as it has.
Man that's bad. Looks like the previous owner was trying to save a few bucks or an independent shop sells some really bad batteries.
The only word of caution I have on the subject is that some aftermarket batteries are about 3/16 of an inch shorter in height than OEM. When you put the battery box lid on it prevents the battery terminal from setting all the way down on the post. I could not get the positive terminal tight (AutoZone battery). Some auto parts stores sell these lead shims to fix that problem.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,259 Posts
Simple solution to the problem. Get in the vehicle, start the vehicle, push the Auto Idle Stop Shutoff Button. No Auto Idle stop until you turn off the vehicle. Works for me all the time, every time and no mods done to my 2020.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts