Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, maybe not really a dent. More like a small ping, about half the size of a dime. It's located in the middle of the passenger side door.

Knew they were inevitable...just didn't think it'd be after a few hundred miles.

Anyway, it's probably a lost cause (and it's barely noticeable), but are there any effective ways of smoothing out ping to get rid of it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
385 Posts
can try PDR (paintless dent removal), there are some franchises such as "dent wizard". I had a sizeable crease put in the door of my Passat, that was removed for $100 cash by a guy who does it privately. He even came to my work to do it. The whole key is that the dent/ping must be accessible from "behind". They sort of "rub out" the dent "laproscopically". In your case they would go down the door window channel with special tools. The problem is if there is a steel support (safety cage) located right where the dent is- that would prevent accessibility.

In my case the steel cage slightly interfered so there is an ever so slight residual distortion (that probably only I can notice). However, I will gladly take this over a $500 job at the body shop- with a repainted door that probably wouldn't have matched.:) Also, on higher end cars, the interior side of body panels may be coated with that lumpy black soundproofing stuff, which makes the PDR job a little trickier. Not sure if the Pilot has this or not.

Worth checking out. Make sure you use someone with experience!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would recommend Paintless Dent Removal. I had it done to my CRV after a hailstorm, and the results were remarkable. I would think it would cost you less than $100 to get it fixed, and as long as you don't have any paint damage, you won't be able to tell there ever was a dent.

It looks like Davemac was thinking the same thing!

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
That DingKing thing on eBay is garbage. I haven't seen a single positive review from an end-user.

PDR is the way to go. If there are no Dent Wizards near you, try Dent Pro. Guaranteed there is SOMEONE who is doing PDR. Ask your dealer who they're using.

It'll cost you $50-$75 for that little one. Not worth buying your own PDR kit and hoping you'll figure it out. These guys have the technique down...and do it fast & right the first time. Worth it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you.

Does it matter that the ping is right on that crease that runs horizontally along the doors?

In other words, is something like that not fixable?

·
Registered
385 Posts
brooklynpilot said:
Thank you.

Does it matter that the ping is right on that crease that runs horizontally along the doors?

In other words, is something like that not fixable?
on my Passat, the (upper) door crease was where the safety cage was. They'll be able to tell you quick enough. You may be able to look down the window channel with a flashlight and see where it is.

·
Registered
288 Posts
brooklynpilot said:
Well, maybe not really a dent. More like a small ping, about half the size of a dime. It's located in the middle of the passenger side door.

Knew they were inevitable...just didn't think it'd be after a few hundred miles.

Anyway, it's probably a lost cause (and it's barely noticeable), but are there any effective ways of smoothing out ping to get rid of it?

Thanks.
Brooklynpilot,
Have you got it fix ?I just did mine yesterday,I could not believe it after them guys done with it.I could not tell where it was,looks just like new.Amazing!(it cost only 75 bucks for a 4 inch dent)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
homergreg said:
I would recommend Paintless Dent Removal. I had it done to my CRV after a hailstorm, and the results were remarkable. I would think it would cost you less than $100 to get it fixed, and as long as you don't have any paint damage, you won't be able to tell there ever was a dent.

It looks like Davemac was thinking the same thing!
Assuming "Paintless Dent Removal" and "Dent Wizard" use the same technique, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone who has a dent problem (excepting major dents with paint damage), even dents all over the car after a hailstorm (like homergreg). My new '98 Civic EX was only 4 days old when it was covered with major hailstorm pockmarks. :( Initially, I got body shop estimates ranging from $1900 to $2750. When, finally, someone recommended Dent Wizard, it sounded fishy to me and I couldn't believe I'd get much from them for their $600 estimate.

I'm happy to say that Dent Wizard came through for me in the biggest way! I looked over the car, top to bottom, in bright light and all sorts of angles--AND NO DAMAGE WAS VISIBLE ANYWHERE.
I meant it when I told the manager I'm never miss an opportunity to recommend their services.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I can also attest to the good work that Dent Wizard does, but he did mention to me while he was working on my car that some small dents can be removed with an ice cube. I have never tried it but he said to park my car on a blacktop parking lot for a while on a really hot day and let the paint heat up and then get an ice cube and apply it directly to the dent, it should pull the dent out. Again I have no idea if this works and being it is winter time you will probably have a hard time getting it hot enough, but I was wondering if anyone had ever heard about this or tried it?

·
Registered
288 Posts
PSUPilot said:
I can also attest to the good work that Dent Wizard does, but he did mention to me while he was working on my car that some small dents can be removed with an ice cube. I have never tried it but he said to park my car on a blacktop parking lot for a while on a really hot day and let the paint heat up and then get an ice cube and apply it directly to the dent, it should pull the dent out. Again I have no idea if this works and being it is winter time you will probably have a hard time getting it hot enough, but I was wondering if anyone had ever heard about this or tried it?
Well,I have heard that dried ice would pull the dents out not ice cube .Have not tried though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts