Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, we're having our first major snow storm here in Nova Scotia tonight. Just got the Michelin Cross Terrains today. Can hardly wait to get out there, and try them.

Can't believe I'm actually wanting snow. Wow!... I'm a kid again! :5:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Sounds like FUN!! Post pics if you can! :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
91 Octane-

I can't wait to hear how the CT's did in the snow!! Ready to replace either the Goodyears or the Duelers the day I get my Pilot. Still waiting for our Pilot and hoping the snow here in Western PA holds off till the Pilot gets here.:2:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh Man!... Was just out in the storm to pick up the kids from cheerleading. "Stuck like glue" comes to mind. Was very slippery as demonstrated by other vehicles, and visibility was very low but the Pilot felt like it was drving in mid August.

An important thing to keep in mind. You have to respect the lateral capabilities as well as the stopping distance. These facters do not change in an all wheel drive system. In fact, they are worse in a larger, heavier vehicle.

Ladies and gentlemen, this vehicle is awesome. Totally predictable. Makes winter driving fun.

The Cross Terrains are excellent. Right up front you will notice signifigant handling and ride (smoothness) improvements. Well worth the investment. Untill we get sub zero climate, not too sure how they will handle on ice. I'm a happy camper.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just an FYI if you haven't already seen it -

'GACrabill' found the Michelin CTs on special for $72 at tirerack.com!

Scott

·
Registered
45 Posts
So can anyone who has driven in snow with their goodyears tell me that the car handles like a greezed fish on a melty fishin hole? or does it handle just ok ? im waiting for the snow here in ny and hoping i dont have to buy tires how bad can the goodyears be??

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well you heard the old attage; "be careful what you wish for, you may get it."

It snowed last night and into the morning here. About 13 in. of SNOW! This is very early for us. Power has just been restored. Been off 14 hours. It was a heavy, sticky snow. My snowblower won't move it. Keeps clogging up the auger.

Anyway, I took the Pilot out this morning and our road, even now, hasn't been plowed. I was totally impressed. Didn't even make an effort. Just went through as if it was a rainy day. The cross Terrains did the job without fail. I was concerned that with so much snow, the Pilot would bog down. No way. The VTM-4 did it's job as smooth and effortless. You couldn't feel any engagement. It did the job with ease. There was no feeling of instability. I'm so pleased with this vehicle and the Cross Terrains.

I can't say how well the Goodyears would do in the indentical situation as they didn't see any snow. I can tell you that there is a dramatic improvement in handling and smoothness. Still don't know how the CTs will behave on ice but I'm sure they will be predictable. Personnally, I've run Michelins on all my vehicles and I'm glad I changed to the CTs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
improved smoothness sounds good . yes i like michelins myself , (have them on my old civic) but i may wait to get replacements as i have 3000 miles on these goodyears already.

·
Registered
180 Posts
FSDO,

At $72 a piece, why wait? I'm going to try and sell the Goodyears at a used tire place. Or maybe I can negotiate a free install, balancing and alignment for the tires.

·
Registered
725 Posts
To: FSDO

I have experienced the Goodyears in snow and ice here in Colorado, and they worked well. My interest is how are the Integries going to handle more than a couple of inches of snow.

·
Registered
113 Posts
91Octane :

Nice to hear about your snow experience. Did you use / engage the VTM-4 switch on your snow runs or just the normal drive.

KE

·
Registered
335 Posts
Regarding the VTM-4 switch. I understand it stays engage up til 18mph. When I exceed that speed and then drop below 18, will it automatically come back on? Is there a problem driving like the above in bad weather...15-20-10-25-10?

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
920 Posts
jfrano said:
Regarding the VTM-4 switch. I understand it stays engage up til 18mph. When I exceed that speed and then drop below 18, will it automatically come back on? Is there a problem driving like the above in bad weather...15-20-10-25-10?

Thanks
Joe
No, but you'll have to stay in 1st or 2nd gear the whole time!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
KEPILOT, interesting you bring this up. I was all set to engage the VTM-4 manually but I thought I would try it in regular drive first.

I didn't need to manually engage the system. The VTM-4 worked just fine in drive and handled the 13 in. of snow flawlessly. I just pointed the Pilot and it went. No questions asked.

jfrano, I would leave the Pilot in drive and let the VTM-4 do the work. It worked perfectly for me this way as the ECM continuously adjusts the appropriate amount of torque needed to acheive ultimate traction.

I think if I were pulling a boat up a launching ramp, then I would manually engage the VTM-4. Certainly wasn't needed for the snow situation.

FSDO, I had 1200 miles on the Integrities when I switched to the CTs.

·
Registered
335 Posts
91Octane, its great to hear that the Pilot did so well in the snow, many of us wanted to hear this; however, I don't believe that in drive that the VTM system will adjust the same percentages of transfer as manually engaging the VTM-4 in gears 1 or 2. It sounds like you didn't need this added traction, in the snow situation...however if the roads had been ice/packed ice, it might have been different. Conditions might have been so that you needed to travel at this reduced speed and thus manually engaging the VTM-4 system would have then been desirable.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jfrano, your points are duely noted. This may very well have been the case. However, my understanding was that the VTM-4 will infact deliver and engage similar percentages of torque when required.

I believe the torque supplied is directly related to the amount of wheel slippage, and throttle position. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

P.S. Upon further study, I beleive you are correct. Seems the amount of torque applied when the VTM-4 is manually selected is greater than just running in drive. Thanks.

I do believe that when running icey conditions ie; travelling on road or highway, the traction given in drive should be sufficient.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As good as the CTs are, they are no substitute for real winter tires especially when there is ice.

I'd go with Michelin 4X4 Alpins or Goodyear Wrangler Ultragrips. Bridgestone may have a 4X4 version of their Blizzaks. Nonetheless, get real winter tires for the ultimate safety during the winter. It's the ice that I worry more about than the snow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I recently purchaced a new snow plow for my tractor so im fairly convinced in may not snow here at all !!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Commuter said:
As good as the CTs are, they are no substitute for real winter tires especially when there is ice.

I'd go with Michelin 4X4 Alpins or Goodyear Wrangler Ultragrips. Bridgestone may have a 4X4 version of their Blizzaks. Nonetheless, get real winter tires for the ultimate safety during the winter. It's the ice that I worry more about than the snow.
You're absolutely correct. There is no substitute for winter tires. I wanted a high quality tire that is respectable in winter for this year. The Cross Terrains are a HUGE improvement. Next winter, I'll be purchasing the 4X4 Alpins with steel rims.

I've gone with the winter tire - rim combination for the last 3 vehicles we've had, and it is by far, the best way to go.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts