• 3 hours +

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long does it take you to wash your Pilot by hand? Performed my first wash this past weekend and spent about 2 hours from first rinse to finally putting the chamoise away. And then had to pull the chamoise back out after a short trip to the grocery store. I guess there are a bunch of places for water to hide (side mirrors, rear spoiler, roof rails, etc.).

·
Registered
409 Posts
2 Hours of Joy?

Do you enjoy the time you spend washing your Pilot of is it just something you feel you have to do?

I really enjoy spending my 1 to 11/2 hours washing and cleaning. Sort of like good Karma comes your way or it takes away all the crap from your work week in a short time.

Don

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It beats a root canal. Actually I love driving a nice, clean, shiny car but don't want to spend all day getting it that way. I am too cheap to pay someone else to do it for me. I would like to pick up the Zaino everyone is fawning over. Maybe Santa Claus will put it under the tree this year!

·
Registered
286 Posts
3+ hours..had to clean all the door jams, and then I opened the hood..and oh my..
well it was really..really clean!!..lol

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yo!!

Thanks Dan..just shot it this afternoon..
I like it myself!!!:18:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Now that the weather is warm, I'll wash #953 almost every week. I like to get up at dawn and detail the Pilot before it gets too hot, and while the vehicle itself is cool. Washing and drying the exterior and wheels would only take me about an hour, but I also am compelled to clean the glass, wipe down and vacuum the interior, dress the rubber/vinyl/plastic and tires. Then I usually wax at least part of the car with S100 carnauba, which goes on and comes off really quickly. If the sun is up at 7am, I'll try to knock off by 9:30 or 10 am at the latest.

Every month or so I'll do something else, like clean the carpet or the engine. This last Saturday I clayed most of the vehicle so that added some time, about 30 minutes. BTW, if you haven't clayed your Pilot you really should, you really can't believe the difference it makes for the smoothness and slickness of your paint until you try it. Clay Magic for $10 at Pep Boys, or Mother's for $12 at Walmart...just do it!

I find it to be one of the most relaxing things I do all week, and the results are always gratifying. I look forward to it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Two hours on the average for me, less for a quick "just-because-it-needs-to-look-good" clean, and more for that detailed look that you just have to admire a couple of dozen times from inside your house after you're done - type of clean.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Sorry, I don't wash it myself. Most poeple around here take it to a carwash. I take it to a brushless one and it only takes a few minutes to go through that. However, it takes me about 15 minutes to thoroughly dry the car afterwards.

·
Registered
286 Posts
<<cheats occasionally

I will have to admit that I occasionally cheat as well. There is a great hand wash place close to where I work. For $11 they detail the car in about an hour, while I conduct business on the cell phone!

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
prefer hand wash

I normally prefer to hand wash mine, but if it is REALLY dirty during the winter months, I will use one of the self-wash car washes. Generally it takes me less than an hour, but then I don't vacuum it each time. I find that there are several little nooks and crannies that hold water and after you move the Pilot - or open/close the tailgate or doors, you generally have to go back over to get the drips. :)

YMMV

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
around 1 hr for a regular wash

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
casdas said:
Every month or so I'll do something else, like clean the carpet or the engine. This last Saturday I clayed most of the vehicle so that added some time, about 30 minutes. BTW, if you haven't clayed your Pilot you really should, you really can't believe the difference it makes for the smoothness and slickness of your paint until you try it. Clay Magic for $10 at Pep Boys, or Mother's for $12 at Walmart...just do it!

Oh, alright, I'm going to divulge my ignorance and go ahead and ask...will someone pls. explain to me what "claying" is--and how it's done? I've seen it mentioned in other threads but was never quite clear about it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I took two hours including vacuum, dashboard protection, cleaning windows inside, tires and wheel details.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Usually wash it myself - Takes about 2 hours from wet to dry.
Took it through a brushless at the Mobil station once. Didn't TOUCH the lower sides at all!! I don't even think it got WET there! :confused:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ziploc said:

Oh, alright, I'm going to divulge my ignorance and go ahead and ask...will someone pls. explain to me what "claying" is--and how it's done? I've seen it mentioned in other threads but was never quite clear about it.
Claying is a way of cleaning and preping your car's painted surfaces to be waxed (or polymered). You basicly use a special clay that is designed to pull the dirt off the surface of the paint and smooth the rough edges of the clear coat. The actual action of claying is to wet the surface of the paint and slide a bar of clay over it until it gets smoother. It is much easier to understand if you see it being done. Once the car has been clayed the paint surface is completely bare with nothing to protect the paint or to be stuck on the paint you can apply wax easier and get better results. I hope this helps, and this is not a step most people use on their everyday cars it is more of a show car preparation, so you shouldn't have known about it, remember there are never dumb questions. ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hmmm

I had my Pilot's finish protected. I assume that this process would cancel that!!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Re: Claying

smurray said:
Another questionable question. Does the clay remove the clearcoat?
Clay does not remove the clear coat just cleans and smooths it. It was described to me like this: if you look at the clear coat under a microscope before claying it will look like the Rocky Mountains; after claying it will be much smoother. This smoother surface is what allows the wax or polymer to form a stronger better looking protection over the clear coat.:4:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Re: Hmmm

Harddrv said:
I had my Pilot's finish protected. I assume that this process would cancel that!!
It depends on what you had your finish protected with if clay will remove it. My recommendation is to call Zaino directly if you have questions, Sal Zaino usually answers the phone himself and can answer all of the questions you have about his products. He can also get you in touch with a more local distributor of his products and they are also usually knowledgeable "car people."

1 - 20 of 35 Posts