Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
First, this site has been so incredibly helpful for me! Thank you.
After a lot of research and reading, and finding a smokin' deal on what I'm looking for, I think I'm almost ready to take the plunge. We are avid car campers and ready for an upgrade!

TV - 2013 4WD Honda Pilot EX-L
Trailer - Forest River Rockwood Highwall 277 Pop-up
-3334 Dry Weight
-546 Payload Capacity
-380 Hitch Weight
-Rear Electric Drum Brakes

I am installing ATF cooler, brake controller, and 7 pin harness. I am still deciding on WDH w/ sway bar vs. sway bar only and air bags, vs. all three.

I have read the manual and am aware that 3 adult passengers will bring the capacity down to 4100. It will most often be two adults (both around 130 lbs.) and three small kiddos weighing about 150 altogether on 2-3 day trips and we can likely travel with the water tank half full (about 120 lbs.). I have no idea how to estimate cargo weight for a trip like this, but we can travel pretty light. I will use premium gas and take it nice and easy. :) We do live in a pretty mountainous area so that freaks me out a little. Might stick to flat travel.

Does anyone see any problems with this set up or have any advice for me? I so appreciate any help!

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
Weights are simple. If your country folk go to the local co-op, not now it's wheat harvest time, and see if you can weight the vehicle and loaded trailer. Pull off, unhitch and weight the vehicle alone. Have all the adults kids and gear in the vehicle as well as the trailer loaded with the gear, food, liquids etc you plan to carry in it. Subtract the vehicle weight from the vehicle and trailer weight and you have you trailer and gear weight for the trailer. You also have a good idea of what the passengers and gear are adding to your vehicle as the curb weight is listed as 4557 pounds.

If you are a city dweller look for a truck stop with a scale, or check on line for a public scale in your area and do the same thing there. It will cost you a couple of bucks but you will know your various weights.

You may be surprised at the weight you end up with. I have found that a lot of people underestimate their total weight.

Others will disagree with me, but I 'm not a fan of WD hitches. Instead I use the weight safe ball mount my towing needs. Mine version is the larger drop version for my truck. You should not need that much drop/rise so this is what I would suggest you go with. That way you can get your tongue weight right were you need it and balance your cargo weight easily. I have never had issues pulling a trailer that is properly balanced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, that is helpful. The thing is, I actually have to purchase the trailer before I am able to get those exact weights. I love this trailer set-up, but if it's truly not going to work, I could look for something lighter. Trying to figure out as much as possible before making the purchase! Thanks for the rec on the ball mount, that is something I will definitely look into.

·
Administrator
4,878 Posts
If you stay within the payload weight you are at 3880 lbs for trailer and gear in the trailer. The 2013 AWD Pilot has a max tow weight of 4500 lbs and a max tongue weight of 450 lbs with two occupants. I get the impression that you have read the manual so you can cross reference the equivalent number of passengers you will have based on everyones weight as compared to Honda's estimated weight of 150 lbs per person with 15 lbs of her in the cargo area of the vehicle to know what your max tow weight actually is.

Just remember you are going to be asking a single engine to basically propel two 4000 lbs vehicle. Your gas mileage will go down and you will be putting extra stress on the Pilot, especially the engine and transmission.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
You are either pushing or over the limits of the Pilot. Throw in the terrain around you, this isn't a setup I would recommend. If you love the trailer, it sounds like you need to upgrade to a Tahoe, Armada, Sequoia, etc. to get 3 rows and higher tow capacities.

And I am a fan of weight distributing hitches, but the trailer should be set up for the appropriate tongue weight THEN the WD adjusted. People use it to compensate for excessive tongue weight which is not the way the system is designed.

Reactions: Daltongang

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are either pushing or over the limits of the Pilot. Throw in the terrain around you, this isn't a setup I would recommend. If you love the trailer, it sounds like you need to upgrade to a Tahoe, Armada, Sequoia, etc. to get 3 rows and higher tow capacities.

And I am a fan of weight distributing hitches, but the trailer should be set up for the appropriate tongue weight THEN the WD adjusted. People use it to compensate for excessive tongue weight which is not the way the system is designed.

There is a trailer that is the same make and model, a few years older, less extras, and 1,300 lbs lighter. I am now strongly considering that one instead OR getting the heavier/newer one, and using it very sparingly on flat terrain this season, upgrade vehicle next year. Really look that slide out/shower/toilet/outdoor kitchen! 😝

·
Administrator
4,878 Posts

Based on the information provide by the OP it looks as if when all things are added up, if they are all correct, they will be about 200 lbs +/- under the max tow limit. With that said, that is pushing up against the prescribed weight limit. Towing is never easy on a vehicle, which is why I have always subscribed to the 3/4 ton or above theory. A lot more leeway in the towing capacity. If the OP chooses to proceed I would recommend they follow the heavy duty maintenance schedule for the vehicle instead of the standard maintenance schedule, which will be more frequent and more costly, but worth it for the vehicle in the long run.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
There is a trailer that is the same make and model, a few years older, less extras, and 1,300 lbs lighter. I am now strongly considering that one instead OR getting the heavier/newer one, and using it very sparingly on flat terrain this season, upgrade vehicle next year. Really look that slide out/shower/toilet/outdoor kitchen! 😝
This will likely be OK, but definitely remember you have less than 250 ft-lb of torque and it's peak is at high RPMs. So you will have to rev the engine at all times to do anything. The key is to take your time and be extremely deliberate as often as you can. Definitely upgrade to a better tow vehicle next year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, I really appreciate it. I feel much better about the lighter option. I will baby it this year and look at an upgrade next year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts