Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all. new to the site. my parents bought a 03 Pilot EX in Starlight Silver last week. our first honda ever (in our immediate family, anyways).

i've been poking around the forums and found several problems people have had. some major (timing bolt issue, check engine light, etc.) and some minor (rattles, etc.). i think (hope) most of the problems have been corrected at the factory before ours was built (6/03). the only things i've notice on our Pilot is the sloshing gas tank and seat belts nicking the door sills :( .

anyways, i've found that the steering column cover doesnt fit right. on the side of the turn signal lever, theres a gap of about 1-2 mm between the two covers. anyone else have this? this is probably just ours. also, could someone take a picture of the plastic piece coving the fuses on the driver's side? i think ours is missing the bolt that attaches it to the carpet. i just want to see how the bolt/screw/cap/whatever-it-is is supposed to look like. i found a plastic cap in the passenger area day after taking delivery and thought it might go there but not sure :confused: . so someone please help?

other thing non-defect related...the dealer put WAY too much tire dressing when detailing it. it flung off the tire in little drops and is now all over the sides of the rear bumper (no rear splash guards) and a little on the sides of the body (escaped the front splash guards) :3: . gotta wash and wax it sometime soon.

thanks. and sorry for the long post :D . ill try to make future ones shorter ;) .

wheee....240 horses, 242 lb-ft of twist, VTEC....i wana go driving....:2:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Congratulations on your new "family car".

The kick panel on the left side of the driver's seat (and right side of the passenger's seat) does have an "extension" that is held in place by a plastic cap. There is a bolt sticking out of the floor that the extension piece goes over and then the cap pushes done over the bolt to hold the kick panel in place.

The cap that does this is a mushroom shaped piece with 3 square holes in the center (probably for a cap removal tool).

When our auto-dim mirror was installed, they removed the kick panel to get to the wiring and forgot to put the cap back into place.

If your still not sure, I can upload a picture later.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would you please? thank you very much. i dont wana shove that thing on and have it be the wrong thing....i think its the same plastic thing that i found. seems a bit wierd though. shouldnt it be removable without a special tool in case someone needs to swap out a fuse by themselves?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
The other computer is "free" now so I can upload the picture. Here you go:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
iivtecracerii said:
...seems a bit wierd though. shouldnt it be removable without a special tool in case someone needs to swap out a fuse by themselves?
I don't think you have to remove the kick panel to get to the fuses. They are accessible above the kick panel on the driver's side. There is another panel on the passenger side, but it has a pop off cover.

(by the way, always replace you fuses with Littelfuse brand fuses)

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
muchos gracias, señor. (putting my spanish skills to use :D )

yep. same plastic cap i found.

anyone else have the non-fitting steering column covers?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah my steering column cover also doesn't fit quite right. I've pressed it back in but it just pops out again. Doesn't really bother me enough to complain about it though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My steering column cover also fits poorly but it is secure - just looks a little odd from behind the wheel.

I don't think you are supposed to wax new paint for 60-90 days - so you might want to check you build date before waxing your new Pilot. I have not waxed mine yet - still cleans up great and water beads up nice. But a wax job is in the works soon as I am past the 90 days.

Jim

·
Registered
330 Posts
jimbosc said:
I don't think you are supposed to wax new paint for 60-90 days - so you might want to check you build date before waxing your new Pilot. I have not waxed mine yet - still cleans up great and water beads up nice. But a wax job is in the works soon as I am past the 90 days.

Jim
Oops!:eek: I waxed my new Pilot last weekend. The build date was May, so the paint was at least 45 days old, so maybe it isn't too much of a problem. Where did you read or hear that you shouldn't wax new paint for 60-90 days? I can understand if a body shop does it because they can't really bake the paint like the factory can.

- shutrbug

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
jimbosc said:

...snip

Jim
Not true anymore with clearcoat. Wax early, wax often for the best protection is what anyone who's knowledgeable will tell you. And get those bird droppings off as soon as you see them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts