Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts
A little round convex mirror to stick up in the top left corner of your driver's side mirror so you can see if there's anything in your blind spot on that side.

It's been a ritual of mine to install that every time I've gotten a new (to me) vehicle.

·
Registered
8,919 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
If you have a good dealership then nothing. I came home with an entire interior and exterior cleaning kit. Just one of the things our dealer includes with every new vehicle they sell. Everything else I had from previous vehicles.

Honda did tick me off on the under storage space by changing the size by 1/2" width wise. I have a emergency tool kit that I bought back in 2013 that fit perfectly in the under storage space in the 2013 Pilot. Everything you could need for most roadside repairs. They weren't Snap on quality tools, but they were good enough. With the 2020 Passport the tool kit will not fit in the under storage space as the plastic hinges make it too wide by 1/4" on each side.

Nothing to loose sleep over, just wish that it would fit the new vehicle.

I did buy a new 4 way tire wrench with a 22mm socket. I found a 16" that would fit perfectly into the wheel well of the spare tire. Passport, unlike the Pilot, can not fit a full size spare as the spare is under the cargo area floor. I like having a 4 way instead of the OEM lug nut buster. Much easier to get the needed torque to bust lug nuts loose with a 4 way.

Edit: Forgot, I did buy a new apple approved 6" usb cable for my iPhone so I wouldn't have a lot of superfluous cable lying around when the phone is plugged in for apple connect.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'd focus more on a good break in while buying other stuff if you plan on keeping the new vehicle for as long as possible.

Add a PSF and transmission filter if you plan on keeping the vehicle for as long as possible. Magnefine filters are pretty easy to install. Avoid highway driving (or sustained one speed driving for the first 1,000 miles) and try to do as much city style driving as possible. When driving, don't baby your new car and don't hammer it... just drive like normal or just slightly aggressive as this will help with seating of the piston rings.

Since my last new car didn't specify that there is break-in motor oil that usually should be changed after 1,000 miles, I changed my motor oil and filter at 200 miles, 600, then 1,000 because there is a lot of break in contamination during the first 1,000 miles with a new engine.

Change/flush your PSF at 1,000 miles (not needed if you have an electric motor powering your steering).

Change your VTM-4 diff. fluid at 2,000.

Change 4x4 transfer case fluid at 5,000 (if your vehicle has 4x4/T-Case).

Flush the transmission at 5,000.

This is all to remove the very high amount of break in material generated in the first 5,000 miles of owning a new vehicle. I had a thread on here with a link about transmissions and they said that 75% of all transmission contaminants ever generated by the trans. are generated in the first 5,000 miles of a new transmission.

I would add buying a quality windshield sun shade to this thread.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
You don't need to see the side of your own vehicle - it's not going to sneak up on you.
How to adjust your mirrors: https://www.cartalk.com/sites/default/files/features/mirrors/CarTalkMirrors.pdf
I was waiting for that. But still, I like to be able to see the guy behind me, the guy in the next lane its whole length and the d-bag in the lane next to that blasting up on you to show off all the passing power of his midlife crisis. All in one glance in one mirror, rather than having my eyes dart back and forth from the center mirror to the driver's side mirror, and with more than just relying on my unfocused peripheral vision.

Honda did tick me off on the under storage space by changing the size by 1/2" width wise. I have a emergency tool kit that I bought back in 2013 that fit perfectly in the under storage space in the 2013 Pilot. Everything you could need for most roadside repairs. They weren't Snap on quality tools, but they were good enough. With the 2020 Passport the tool kit will not fit in the under storage space as the plastic hinges make it too wide by 1/4" on each side.

Passport, unlike the Pilot, can not fit a full size spare as the spare is under the cargo area floor.
And so it begins. The Pilot envy will continue to build and the cumulative regret will sooner or later bring you back into the Pilot fold. :p

Much easier to get the needed torque to bust lug nuts loose with a 4 way.
That's what sh.... :D

·
Registered
693 Posts
I go through whatever accessories I want to install, and order them. Typically paying about a quarter of what the dealer would charge.

And if the car audio sounds anemic, I head over to Crutchfield...

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Quick simple ez installed accessory part that will lead you down the path of emptying your wallet. You know you want it! Heard it helps to keep the windows from fogging up too fast on makeout hill 😑
5580A8CB-9E62-4E49-992D-E09C4F2B1524.jpeg

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
What you heard is the truth. I have these, too (AVS Ventshades). But sometimes you do want your windows to fog up nice 'n' opaque, or at least servicably translucent but not transparent. :)

Still miss those little triangular front windows you could manually open and close as the circumstances warranted, even with the engine off.

I will say this about modern cars, though. The soundproofing is much better. 😲😍

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Sha93 said:
First thing you need to get after purchasing a vehicle - must have stuff
A mailbox for your recall notice if it's a recent Pilot, Passport or Oddy.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
93 Posts
All season mats then tint on the first week since it's almost triple digit when I bought the Pilot.:cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts