Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All...
We are about to hit 3,000 miles on our Pilot. Any recommendations when the first oil change should take place? I usually do routine oil changes at 3,000 miles regardless of what the owners manuals state, but since this is a new car, was wondering if we should wait longer. I think at one time manufacturers were putting 'special' oil for the break in period, but not sure if that was only a myth.

·
Registered
89 Posts
supraman7 said:
Hi All...
We are about to hit 3,000 miles on our Pilot. Any recommendations when the first oil change should take place? I usually do routine oil changes at 3,000 miles regardless of what the owners manuals state, but since this is a new car, was wondering if we should wait longer. I think at one time manufacturers were putting 'special' oil for the break in period, but not sure if that was only a myth.
I just hit 2500 miles, with mostly hiway/long trips. The local dealer advised the same with the owner manual, that 1st oil change should be 3.75K or 7.5K, depending on normal or severe schedule. They said that Honda does put special additives in the Pilot. I'd probrably do my at the midpoint around 5K miles.

I'm wondering what other Piloteers have done.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
I follow severe schedule. Changed oil at 3750.

Best of luck

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:) I just made another move to arkansas and my two month old pilot has 6500 miles already, still with michigan plates. I like out of state plates. anyway, since it is time for my oil change(the annoying light keeps on reminding me, I called up the dealer and said they use the pennzoil 10W/30 since the weather here in AR is obviously hotter. But the manual did not provide an ambient temperature range but recommended 5W/20, which initially distressed me a lot but if that is what is written in the manual, that should be true. Is the dealer right in saying 10W/30 and forget about the 5W/20?:confused:

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
sblvro said:
:) I just made another move to arkansas and my two month old pilot has 6500 miles already, still with michigan plates. I like out of state plates. anyway, since it is time for my oil change(the annoying light keeps on reminding me, I called up the dealer and said they use the pennzoil 10W/30 since the weather here in AR is obviously hotter. But the manual did not provide an ambient temperature range but recommended 5W/20, which initially distressed me a lot but if that is what is written in the manual, that should be true. Is the dealer right in saying 10W/30 and forget about the 5W/20?:confused:
The temperature range for 5W20 is found on page 284 of the manual. Thanks to kemo and bkwon, you can see that page of the manual here:

http://honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4120&perpage=15&pagenumber=20

I'd either tell the dealer to use the recommended weight oil, and verify they did by asking to see the empty containers, or find one who will use the recommended oil.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:) thanks for the reply and I know that it mentions premium oil from honda with 5W/20. Some oil charts with viscosity ratings provide different oil viscosity for the different temp range and i guess if they will be using some cheapo oil the latter applies. So, now my question is what oil do your honda use, is it a honda brand oil or the pennzoil 5W/20 be just fine. I'll try to check the auto parts store to check for pennzoil if their temp range is the same as what the honda manual recommends.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
sblvro said:
:) thanks for the reply and I know that it mentions premium oil from honda with 5W/20. Some oil charts with viscosity ratings provide different oil viscosity for the different temp range and i guess if they will be using some cheapo oil the latter applies. So, now my question is what oil do your honda use, is it a honda brand oil or the pennzoil 5W/20 be just fine. I'll try to check the auto parts store to check for pennzoil if their temp range is the same as what the honda manual recommends.
From what I've read, the Honda-branded oil is actually made by Mobil. In my latest trip into an auto parts store, I saw Castrol GTX and Valvoline in 5W20 weights. And based on the dealer invoice for my recent 15K service, Koons Honda in Manassas, VA is now using Castrol GTX 5W20. And don't worry about the temp range, just get a 5W20 with an API SJ rating. The API SJ rating is mentioned in the Service Information Summary at the end of the manual, which you can see here:
http://honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=56430#post56430

·
Registered
21 Posts
What about using Mobil 1 0w20 at your first oil change and every oil change? Will it improve gas mileage and keep the engine running cooler down here in Sunny(hot and Humid) South Florida? The dealership here in South Florida said they would deduct the cost of the oil if I brought my own in. I also run allot of miles per month about 2,500 or more.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
frankie's pilot said:
What about using Mobil 1 0w20 at your first oil change and every oil change? Will it improve gas mileage and keep the engine running cooler down here in Sunny(hot and Humid) South Florida? The dealership here in South Florida said they would deduct the cost of the oil if I brought my own in. I also run allot of miles per month about 2,500 or more.
I believe this was discussed at length in a thread in the Maintenance section, such as:

http://honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4247

and here:

http://honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=189

and definitely here:

http://honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3967

·
Registered
115 Posts
supraman7 said:
Hi All...
They changed mine at 3,000 when I brought it in for a warranty claim.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Re: Re: First Oil Change

Loutog said:

They changed mine at 3,000 when I brought it in for a warranty claim.
Did they tell you they were going to do this???

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just had my first oil change at 5250 miles. Can't really figure out if my driving condition is rough or normal so I'll just stick with the schedule 5K, 10K, 15K, and so on. Had a coupon in the mail for the oil change, tire rotation, and inspection for $26.

Off topic. While waiting for the oil change, I went for a test drive on a black 2003 Accord Couple EX-L V6, automatic. The car is awesome. I was able to negotiate down to invoice price which is $23765, and he also offerred 2.9% finance with $10K down. However, when I got home to ask my wife if I could buy it, she refuses to buy two doors car. Oh well, I guess there goes a good deal. Just wondering, are the Accord sales slumped?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went to the dealer to fix a problem that was under warranty at around 3000 miles and the dealership suggested that I bring it in at 5000 miles.

;)

·
Registered
316 Posts
smartlis1 said:
I went to the dealer to fix a problem that was under warranty at around 3000 miles and the dealership suggested that I bring it in at 5000 miles.

;)
I've been doing oill changes every 5000 or so miles and so far so good. Bought the Pilot w/ .3 miles and just about to hit 22,000 w/ no problems at all.

·
Registered
483 Posts
nighthawk said:

I've been doing oill changes every 5000 or so miles and so far so good. Bought the Pilot w/ .3 miles and just about to hit 22,000 w/ no problems at all.
I like to hear that, 22k with no problems. We went against my belief in that you don't buy a new model vehicle in its first year out. The reason we did decide to buy was because of Hondas track record in the dependabilty dept.

Its good to hear positive stories like yours. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I purchased my Pilot the salesman said not to change the oil the first time until the vehicle had 7000 miles on it and then every 3000-5000 thereafter. He said the "breakin" oil should remain in the vehicle for 7000 miles. I idiot light started blinking at 6000. I had the oil changed at 6800 and asked that they rotate the tires at the same time. The service manager recommended waiting until the vehicle had 10000 on it. This is a first. On a good note the oil change, which included a lube and a handwash, only cost $21.95 and they give every 5th one free. Not bad for a dealer.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Purolator L14459. I wonder about the particles you found...seems like your filter wasn't doing it's job. I always find a metallic residue in oil dropped from new engines, but it is usually very very fine.

·
Registered
602 Posts
When you say metallic residue, are the particles big enough to feel if you rub the oil between your fingers?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts