Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
My last few cars / trucks I changed around 500 miles. I know I know....Honda uses a high moly oil and its normal to wait 3000-5000 miles. However I've seen enough cracked opened oil filter to see some engines can produce a lot of fine metal grinds. I prefer to get it out as soon as I can. I've used the Motoman break-in for just about every bike I've owned in the last 25 years. All of my cars and trucks go at least 100K before I sell or trade in and none of them have ever had an engine problem. I just sold my 2008 Saab 9-3 convertible with 150K and the compression was only 2% off the day it left the factory. Change early or go by the book its up to you but I don't think an engine was ever damaged from changing the oil too soon. On my new Pilot I'm getting tomorrow, I'll change the oil once again around 500 miles

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Change early or go by the book its up to you but I don't think an engine was ever damaged from changing the oil too soon. On my new Pilot I'm getting tomorrow, I'll change the oil once again around 500 miles
Then again periodically we see posts by some owners who change their oil early, after they reach the 30K-mile mark (or longer), wondering if any other maintenance is required, other than oil changes. By doing those early oil changes (before the oil life gets down to 15% and then resetting the MM), they miss the service code prompts from the MM and end up potentially shortening the life of other drive-train components.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Then again periodically we see posts by some owners who change their oil early, after they reach the 30K-mile mark (or longer), wondering if any other maintenance is required, other than oil changes. By doing those early oil changes (before the oil life gets down to 15% and then resetting the MM), they miss the service code prompts from the MM and end up potentially shortening the life of other drive-train components.

That wouldn't be me Lol. I might change it early but I'll never miss any or be late

·
Registered
976 Posts
I waited till the mm indicates 10% or less. Honda said they put some additives into the oil to help the engine break in. I believe Honda says do not change early on the manual because of that reason.

·
Registered
711 Posts
This is where I dislike the maintenance minder system... I like having the mileage intervals for everything... I prefer to have my own schedule over what the computer think it wants.

I know some people love the MM system and that's fine, it makes a lot of things really easy for people to not have to remember but this is just the way my brain works.

·
Registered
125 Posts
This is where I dislike the maintenance minder system... I like having the mileage intervals for everything... I prefer to have my own schedule over what the computer think it wants.

I know some people love the MM system and that's fine, it makes a lot of things really easy for people to not have to remember but this is just the way my brain works.
Agree 100%

·
Read Only
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since it’s the first and the oil is starting to darken a little but still has that honey color to it but with the vcm engine I usually do it at 40-50 % is this too early? The vehicle was built in April sat on the lot the mm is at 50% and 2100 miles

·
Registered
216 Posts
might be overthinking it. From the sound of it, you are leaning on the side of changing it early. Might as well change it now, but don't reset the MM, and then follow the MM schedule going forward?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I can't believe why so many people disbelieve the maintenance minder. What has Honda done to make you think they don't know how often you need to change your oil, and that they wouldn't set the mileage/timeframe as small as possible to get you to spend more money? 0-20w oil is synthetic and lasts a long time. 5000-6000 miles is a good distance and the oil doesn't even look bad when I change mine. They used to even have a warning in the manual to NOT change the inital oil early due to extra additives in it, but that seems to have been removed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
. . . [Honda] used to even have a warning in the manual to NOT change the inital oil early due to extra additives in it, but that seems to have been removed.
Yep, it was in the owners' manuals for decades. The merits of leaving the factory fill unchanged were also discussed in some detail on Honda's "official" owners' website (Honda Owners Site | Tips, Tools & Benefits for Honda Owners), but when I went looking for it recently (to link it elsewhere), I couldn't find it, and I don't feel like hunting for it now. I'm guessing that Honda has given up on trying to dissuade those who are determined to change the factory fill early. If so, that's a shame because the website explained the benefits of leaving the factory fill unchanged, and further explained why the slight amount of metallic "fibers" in the FF actually contributed to further honing the cylinders and seating the rings. Oh well . . . .

·
Registered
711 Posts
If you don't trust the programming of the MM, what else don't you trust about the way the vehicle was designed?
Never said that. Simply stated my preference. It's a personal thing, I've worked on many brands and cars of many ages over the years, I just like having the schedule for each car in a spreadsheet, what mileage for what fluid.

Not sure how in any way that implies that I don't trust the way the vehicle was designed? I am an engineer by trade and I have tremendous respect for my peers in my profession, I've bought a lot of Hondas because of how well engineered I feel the cars tend to be and since Honda seems to be better about admitting their mistakes than most manufacturers.

I can't believe why so many people disbelieve the maintenance minder. What has Honda done to make you think they don't know how often you need to change your oil, and that they wouldn't set the mileage/timeframe as small as possible to get you to spend more money? 0-20w oil is synthetic and lasts a long time. 5000-6000 miles is a good distance and the oil doesn't even look bad when I change mine. They used to even have a warning in the manual to NOT change the inital oil early due to extra additives in it, but that seems to have been removed.
Again, look above. I'm not in any way saying those that utilize the MM are damaging their vehicle, I just prefer to utilize shorter mileage intervals. The fluids are cheap and it doesn't hurt (or necessarily help) anything. Also, the Pilot is my wife's car and she is much harder on the vehicle than I am so I lean a little more towards sever service intervals with her driving.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've bought a lot of Hondas because of how well engineered I feel the cars tend to be and since Honda seems to be better about admitting their mistakes than most manufacturers
Tell that to the many many 2017-18 CR-V owners with the oil dilution issue....I was one of them. They knew they had a problem with the 2017, yet they continued with the 2018....now the "Fix" is being applied to the 2019's. I was super pissed knowing when I bought my CR-V back in March 2018 Honda new all about the issue and didn't say boo about it. In hind site of should have done more research before buying. I almost said goodbye to Honda after owning 6 of them. Hopefully my new Pilot which I'm getting today won't have any issues

·
Registered
711 Posts
Tell that to the many many 2017-18 CR-V owners with the oil dilution issue....I was one of them. They knew they had a problem with the 2017, yet they continued with the 2018....now the "Fix" is being applied to the 2019's. I was super pissed knowing when I bought my CR-V back in March 2018 Honda new all about the issue and didn't say boo about it. In hind site of should have done more research before buying. I almost said goodbye to Honda after owning 6 of them. Hopefully my new Pilot which I'm getting today won't have any issues
And this is unique to Honda? Go ahead, say goodbye. Let us know how the next brand treats you.

I hope I don't have issues like this but the fact is too many models and ALL manufacturers have these issues nowadays, while I've been paying attention I feel like Honda has done a good job. You may not, and that's perfectly fine with me but this is part of what drove us to getting a Pilot at the time.

I firmly believe the days of buying bulletproof cars are pretty much over. They are too complex and too many components are running at higher stress levels due to a multitude of reasons (cost cutting, fuel efficiency, etc.). So with used cars I try to look at the problems those vehicles are known to have and decide if I am at peace with the risk I am taking.

·
Registered
232 Posts
And this is unique to Honda? Go ahead, say goodbye. Let us know how the next brand treats you.

I hope I don't have issues like this but the fact is too many models and ALL manufacturers have these issues nowadays, while I've been paying attention I feel like Honda has done a good job. You may not, and that's perfectly fine with me but this is part of what drove us to getting a Pilot at the time.

I firmly believe the days of buying bulletproof cars are pretty much over. They are too complex and too many components are running at higher stress levels due to a multitude of reasons (cost cutting, fuel efficiency, etc.). So with used cars I try to look at the problems those vehicles are known to have and decide if I am at peace with the risk I am taking.

You did read that I bought a Pilot......or did you miss that? LOL

My point was Honda new dam well since the release of the 2017 CR-V they had a problem with the engine and refused to admit it until about a month ago. They had a recall of 350,000 in China back in the Spring and was not allowed to sell the CR-V. It took a long article in CR and a bunch of lawsuits for them to come forward.

Yes all cars / trucks can have their issues

·
Registered
597 Posts
I watch the MM very closely. When I got my 2012 with 32k the oil was fresh and MM was reset so I let it go. 12k later I was at 10 percent. I just wanted to see how it did. Under normal circumstances I do my own thing, usually around 5k. Every other fluid gets changed every summer I don’t care what the MM says. Its a few hundred and some piece of mind that its done. My oil is at 60% now but I will changing it this weekend since its cold out. My luck it will hit 10 percent when its 10 degrees out If I leave it!

·
Registered
103 Posts
12k??? Miles?? MM should never go that long. The longest I have ever seen in ANY Honda was about 6700 miles in my 2009 4 cyl Accord EX.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Also, the Pilot is my wife's car and she is much harder on the vehicle than I am so I lean a little more towards sever service intervals with her driving.
Doesn't the MM automatically adjust the service intervals based upon how the vehicle is driven, whether that be "hard/severe" versus "normal" usage?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts