Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 Pilot's first birthday is coming up. It only has about 2700 miles. Oil life just turned 40% this week. Long story short. After I bought the Pilot, my boss sent me to west coast for a 6+ month field support. After returning, Covid started.. I've been working from home. That's the reason the mileage is so low.

I should change oil..... because oil needs to be changed once a year.

I should NOT change oil..... because some sort of oil additive was added at factory (I remember something about Honda does not suggest performing first oil change 'til MM is closer to 0%).

So, my question for you car gurus, should I change oil or should I keep the original "factory oil" a bit longer?

·
Registered
37 Posts
It happened to me too - we barely drive 5k a year.

I was told the original oil is not full synthetic but a blend, they will put full synthetic after. Based on that I decided to go and get the oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
782 Posts
I would change it only for the fact that as oil ages the additives loose their ability to do their job. From there I would follow the MM as it makes the determination of oil life left not only on mileage but on your particular driving and driving habits.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It happened to me too - we barely drive 5k a year.

I was told the original oil is not full synthetic but a blend, they will put full synthetic after. Based on that I decided to go and get the oil change.
Thank you. I was learning toward changing but want to hear from the experts first.

I'd let the car tell you. It's programmed to monitor a bunch of things including time.
Really? That's good info. Manual from my other Honda says to change oil at least every year. I'll wait 'til at least a year and see what MM says and report back.

I would change it only for the fact that as oil ages the additives loose their ability to do their job. From there I would follow the MM as it makes the determination of oil life left not only on mileage but on your particular driving and driving habits.
Ahhh.... good point. I haven't thought about additives will go bad too. Again, I'm glad I asked the experts =)

If it still looks clean and it doesn't smell like terpintine, I'd let it ride.
Come on man, I don't change my underwear base on smell. hahaha... I'm just joking. My uncle is an old old old school retired mechanics. He told me the same thing.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Thank you. I was learning toward changing but want to hear from the experts first.

Really? That's good info. Manual from my other Honda says to change oil at least every year. I'll wait 'til at least a year and see what MM says and report back.

Ahhh.... good point. I haven't thought about additives will go bad too. Again, I'm glad I asked the experts =)

Come on man, I don't change my underwear base on smell. hahaha... I'm just joking. My uncle is an old old old school retired mechanics. He told me the same thing.
Oh boy, here come the underwear jokes lol

·
Registered
571 Posts
Depending upon the circumstances changing based on smell can be a factor. I’d say smell is up there with color or discoloration or floaters. Could be evidence of additional concerns to watch out for. For peace of mind just change it. It’s cheap insurance for a better outcome.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
My 2019 Pilot's first birthday is coming up. It only has about 2700 miles. Oil life just turned 40% this week. Long story short. After I bought the Pilot, my boss sent me to west coast for a 6+ month field support. After returning, Covid started.. I've been working from home. That's the reason the mileage is so low.

I should change oil..... because oil needs to be changed once a year.

I should NOT change oil..... because some sort of oil additive was added at factory (I remember something about Honda does not suggest performing first oil change 'til MM is closer to 0%).

So, my question for you car gurus, should I change oil or should I keep the original "factory oil" a bit longer?
Change the oil now, but don't reset the maintenance minder.
Change the oil again when the oil life reaches 0%, and do whatever other maintenance is indicated at that time.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I agree with xGS's's comment above.

Since the warranty is still active, and since the owner's manual says to change when the MM shows it is due, OR AT ONE YEAR if the MM does not show it due, I would most definitely change it at the one year mark.

If you do it yourself, it could be less than $20.00 after rebates using well known synthetic oils (Mobile 1 for instance). You could also find a dealer with some oil change coupons and have them do it for a reasonable cost. I would also do the oil filter since they are pretty much a cost of less than $10.00 at the most.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some Honda owners leave the factory fill oil in for 29,000 miles:

I have actually seen this myself. A lady friend of mine who has zero mechanical knowledge ran her Mini Cooper for about 20k miles before changing oil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts