Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
So if your 5 year old slung a handful of sand on your engine and it went down into the oil fill while you had the cap off, would you just say , that's OK the filter will trap it. I am done here.

·
Registered
138 Posts
So if your 5 year old slung a handful of sand on your engine and it went down into the oil fill while you had the cap off, would you just say , that's OK the filter will trap it. I am done here.
But you haven't established that there is a meaningfully higher amount of evil shavings in that first period you own the car after the factory has already run the engine for a period of time and done the first drain and fill. Maybe the evil shavings were formed in that first period of running the engine at the factory and the first 1000 miles of your ownership generates the same shavings as between miles 20000 and 21000

·
Registered
99 Posts
If my 5 year old did that it would be the second coming of Christ via another immaculate conception, as my wife is 60 years old. 😆

Besides we raised our youngens to be better behaved than that.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I would create an account and then ask the question over here on the linked topic heading. Some of the most knowledgeable people regarding oil and whatnot.

Really a good question because the sand could get into many components other than just the oil filter.

"Besides we raised our youngens to be better behaved than that."

Kids will be kids, I don't care how well you raised them!

Bob Is The Oil Guy Mechanical/Maintenance

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'd leave it in until the MM tells you to change it, as recommended by Honda, unless you have an automotive Engineering degree that supplants that of those employed by the No. 1 engine manufacturer in the world...

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
What was the oil life percentage when you changed it? Did you also change the filter even though the "A" service doesn't show it as needed?
It was at 15% and dealer did a full-synthetic oil change including the filter. They change the filter every time, did the same with my '12 Pilot also.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Good to hear they change the filter every time. I believe that the cost of the filter is well worth it for a little bit of added engine protection. Even though Honda believes their filters are good for up to 18000-20000 miles depending on how your oil life counts down. I am averaging about 10% for every 1000 miles.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Our pilot mm tells us to change the oil between 6-10k mile intervals. Depends of length of trips, etc. all highway gets 10k oil change intervals....

21 - 30 of 30 Posts