Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still haven't got my new EX-L and was trying to plan a trip and can't find when the first oil change is due.
I would like to get it done before starting on the trip.
I don't have the owners manual for the 2020 yet nor do I have the maintenance schedule for oil changes.
Could someone help with the mileage for the first change?

Thanks Jack

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, I just want to clarify your first sentence. You said you still haven’t have your Pilot yet? If so, you don’t have to change the oil right away when you get your new Pilot.

Newer Honda’s like the Pilot use an algorithm that measures different parameters to calculate the life of your oil, i.e, ambient temp, engine temp, Idle time and such. Usually, on my previous and current V6 Hondas, I change oil around 7,000-8,000 miles and that’s 10-15% on the oil life minder.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Honda no longer uses printed schedules for maintenance. Maintenance Minder will monitor your driving habits. First oil change for people doing mostly highway driving is around 7,000-9,000 miles when a 15% oil life message comes up. For mostly city driving with lots of short trips, its around 4,000 to 6,000.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
I still haven't got my new EX-L and was trying to plan a trip and can't find when the first oil change is due.
I would like to get it done before starting on the trip.
I don't have the owners manual for the 2020 yet nor do I have the maintenance schedule for oil changes.
Download a copy of the owner's manual: Owners Manual for | 2020 Honda Pilot | Honda Owners
Read the section covering the Maintenance Minder.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You for all of the response, I am looking forward to our new Pilot, our old Pilot ( 2003 EX-L) is still going strong so it is staying with us for a wile longer. The 2003 didn't have Maintenance Minders, it was all on mileage.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I always do my first oil change really soon to get rid of the initial wear that occurs with brand new engines I change the oil/filter after the first 900 miles or so. Same with the transmission fluid. I had quite a bit of metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug of my tranny when I did a drain and refill. I had around 10K miles when I did the tranny though. I tow a 1500lb boat trailer every weekend with my 2017 Pilot EX.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Co
I always do my first oil change really soon to get rid of the initial wear that occurs with brand new engines I change the oil/filter after the first 900 miles or so. Same with the transmission fluid. I had quite a bit of metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug of my tranny when I did a drain and refill. I had around 10K miles when I did the tranny though. I tow a 1500lb boat trailer every weekend with my 2017 Pilot EX.
Congratulations, your engine will now last to 525k miles instead of 500k since you got all those evil shavings out. Hope you enjoy driving your van for the next 50 years!

Haha

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with ecjohnny, I have always changed the oil within the first 600 to 1000 miles on a new engine. On my race cars I changed after the first running of about 15 min. to get rid of the metal shavings and any gasket sealer that were left behind. I think 6000 to 7500 is way to long for a new motor ( break in period ). After 10,000 miles I switch to synthetic for the engine.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,843 Posts
I used to do the same thing until I bought my 2020 Passport. Tolerances a lot closer these days, the engine comes with 100% synthetic oil straight from the factory and modern engines are flushed very well at the time of manufacture.

If memory serves me correctly I believe Honda also performs a 15 minute hot test on all of their newly manufactured engines, draining the fluids from them and replacing them with new fluids after the testing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It would be interesting to know if there are actually a material amount of "shavings" on a modern engine or whether this is just a throwback to the old days. I'm sure someone has done the test with Blackstone

I would think if it were an issue that the manufacturers would stipulate an early change after first 500 miles or something

Of course it doesn't hurt I guess if someone wants to do it

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
I am looking forward to our new Pilot, our old Pilot ( 2003 EX-L) is still going strong so it is staying with us for a wile longer. The 2003 didn't have Maintenance Minders, it was all on mileage.
I have always changed the oil within the first 600 to 1000 miles on a new engine. I think 6000 to 7500 is way to long for a new motor ( break in period ).
If you read the owner's manual for your 2003 Pilot, under the break-in period instructions it said:
"Do not change the oil until the recommended time or mileage interval shown in the maintenance schedule."

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you read the owner's manual for your 2003 Pilot, under the break-in period instructions it said:
"Do not change the oil until the recommended time or mileage interval shown in the maintenance schedule."
Ah yes I remember all the speculation on various boards that car mfrs use "special factory fill" oil with "extra moly" and thus you didn't want to drain that magic elixir more quickly for no reason

No idea if all that was bunk or not, too

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Ah yes I remember all the speculation on various boards that car mfrs use "special factory fill" oil with "extra moly" and thus you didn't want to drain that magic elixir more quickly for no reason
No idea if all that was bunk or not, too
There was speculation that the elevated levels of "moly" seen in some used oil analysis reports of the Honda "factory fill" oil might have been due to some assembly lubricant remaining in the oil.
OTOH, Chevron was, at one time, supplying motor oil to Honda and tests showed that Chevron oil contained a relatively higher level of molybdenum compared to most other brands.
Pennzoil and Quaker state also had higher levels of molybdenum, while Castrol, Mobil and Valvoline had virtually none.
http://www.pqiamerica.com/Feb2014/consolidated5w20ALL.html

·
Registered
515 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
My 2017 Pilot owners manual says nothing about waiting until the maintenance minder prompts you to change it. There may be some lubricant applied to the internals during assembly to provide some initial lubrication until the oil does its thing, but I would think that benefit is done after the first several hours of operation when the majority of the engines wear is over and things are broken-in.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My 2017 Pilot owners manual says nothing about waiting until the maintenance minder prompts you to change it. There may be some lubricant applied to the internals during assembly to provide some initial lubrication until the oil does its thing, but I would think that benefit is done after the first several hours of operation when the majority of the engines wear is over and things are broken-in.
So where does your owners manual tell you to change it after the first 500 miles or whatever?

·
Registered
269 Posts
It does not say to change it early. My experience and common sense says its a good thing for your engine. If the majority of your engines wear occurs in the very early stage of its life, then get rid of particles quickly by doing an early change.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It does not say to change it early. My experience and common sense says its a good thing for your engine. If the majority of your engines wear occurs in the very early stage of its life, then get rid of particles quickly by doing an early change.
Whatever it's your car and you can do whatever you want, but if it was helpful don't you think Honda would advise you to do it in the manual?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,843 Posts
If that is so, what purpose does the oil filters play in an engine?

The filter catches and holds on to any particulate in the oil. If the flow of oil is restricted due to particulate the MM will reflect a more rapid change in the oil life. This isn't like the 428 Hemi in my first car. Motors and the technology to make them has improved vastly over the year.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If that is so, what purpose does the oil filters play in an engine?

The filter catches and holds on to any particulate in the oil. If the flow of oil is restricted due to particulate the MM will reflect a more rapid change in the oil life. This isn't like the 428 Hemi in my first car. Motors and the technology to make them has improved vastly over the year.
Old habits die hard for some people I guess

1 - 20 of 30 Posts