Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a chance to install and play around a bit with this $60 OBD2 dongle and free software and for the money, not only does it do a good job at pulling OBD and OEM info from the Pilot (and I imagine other Honda vehicles after downloading the free Honda sw module) ... it's the only one I've used so far that pulls and can graph real-time automatic transmission temp data along with ECT1&2 and cam sol on/off status (VCM on /off?) and cam oil pressure. The ScanGauge does display some Honda OEM real-time values including ATF temp, but it won't graph.

Setup and install went uneventfully, but it's not exactly plug and play or intuitive. I just bought it, but the firmware was out of date and I had to wait to download the update. I paired it to one of my iPads (the mini) but other than the demo, couldn't see any specific Honda data until I went out and connected to the powered dongle in the car. In addition to the initial AP200 software download, plus the firmware update, I also had to download the Honda specific sw module and another Asian car specific app. So don't expect to plug and play ... and be sure to park within range of your wifi router (or repeater). I had a one bar signal in my driveway but none of the downloads took more than a couple minutes and all completed successfully.

On the list of OEM live data, you can choose to display a numeric value, a graph, or a gauge. I haven't taken the time yet to see if I can customize the display to group things in the order I want. So for my initial live data graphing attempt, the items on the list not being graphed took up space on the display and my ECT and ATT barely fit on the same screen in portrait mode on an iPad. I don't think landscape mode is supported, at least I couldn't get it to work, even though I didn't have the iPad locked in either mode. Hopefully not graphed items can be delete from live view but I haven't gotten that far yet to know how to customize the display. If it's possible, then this gizmo is a winner as far as I'm concerned.

I tried several different positions for the iPad around the dash, but I like it best in front of the center stack right above the storage bin. It's easy and close to slip into the storage area beneath it and hide just closing the sliding cover when I leave the car. There's also the power outlet right next to it to keep the iPad charged. It would look "neater" without its protective cover but I'm leaving the cover on for now until I see how well it stays put driving in stop and go traffic and around turns.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX
30 Posts
Thanks for sharing! How happy are you with the device 4 months later? Is the display customizable as far as grouping things in desired order, etc? I was thinking of hooking it up to my old iPhone. Do you think the smaller phone screen, compared to the iPad, would work?
Thanks!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts