Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Honda Pilot

Changed solenoid pack due to a P0740. The transmission shuddered and gave an error code, so the solenoid pack for A,B 1st. 2nd was swapped. This swap made the transmission randomly shift down to first gear. The swap included cleaning the tube filters and cleaning everything. The solenoid pack installed is brand new and bench testing shows it works fine.

What would cause the solenoid for first gear to trigger making the transmission shift down to first gear. It's like slamming the brakes on; and can't be driven this way.
I disconnected the first gear solenoid electric plug so the vehicle now starts off in second so it can be driven. The rest of the transmissions operation works fine.

This is supposedly a rebuild transmission, and complaints were made to the "rebuilders" about this before their warrenty was up, but now they say it's been to long and the customer let the transmission leak out to much fluid even though it's supposed to have all new seals.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,313 Posts
I fear you have more problems than a first gear issue. Auto transmissions typically don't leak...does yours?
Its too easy to blame the transmission guys though there are many out there who claim to build recon units but all they do is con the owner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I fear you have more problems than a first gear issue. Auto transmissions typically don't leak...does yours?
Its too easy to blame the transmission guys though there are many out there who claim to build recon units but all they do is con the owner.
I don't see a leak anywhere. I'm just trying to find out why the solenoid triggers at the wrong time.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
519 Posts
Are you talking about the three shift solenoids (A, B and C), or the two clutch pressure solenoids (A&B, and C)?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts
Gotta ask. Did you use Honda OEM solenoids?

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
519 Posts
OP, did you find a solution to your problem? I changed all my shift solenoids about 200 miles ago, and today something went bad and it started shifting at random times and flaring and dropping down a gear when I'd hit the brakes. Now I can't get it into anything other than 1st and 2nd gear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts