Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
128 Posts
What was the per tire price for that Mirage tire, before mounting, balancing, taxes, etc.?
P235/70R16 My price 42 Dollars each., I still have an in with my old shop.
Retail to the public around 90.00 Install and balance included.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
How is their winter weather performance?
Do they have the snowflake-mountain rating?
If you read the other post, if I lived in 🇨🇦, I'd buy the Veredestien Quatrac 5 with the snow rating. But @plplpl is looking at this tire for spring and summer.
But again, you make it seem as if no one above the Mason Dixon line should buy Sumitomo HTR AS P02 (or P03).

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Why don't you just say that you've never driven those Sumitomo tires in snow?
I haven't. So no one has?

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
They always say my brand new tires are so much better than my old worn out tires.
True,
This supports the reason to not over buy an 80k mile tire if you only drive 15k a year. Fresh rubber (= saftey) every 3 years is a better choice than trying to ride it out for 5-6 years on old tires. Test a 6 year old hard crystallized 80k mile tire (with tread) in snow against a fresh High Performance Sumitomo HTR AS P02. Which would you prefer?

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
True,
This supports the reason to not over buy an 80k mile tire if you only drive 15k a year. Fresh rubber (= saftey) every 3 years is a better choice than trying to ride it out for 5-6 years on old tires. Test a 6 year old hard crystallized 80k mile tire (with tread) in snow against a fresh High Performance Sumitomo HTR AS P02. Which would you prefer?
Show me the test results that compare the performance of a six-year-old Michelin tire versus a three-year-old Sumitomo tire.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Show me the test results that compare the performance of a six-year-old Michelin tire versus a three-year-old Sumitomo tire.
Well I'm sure there are millions of vehicle owners that will vouch that their new tires perform better than old ones.
Would you want to go into a 70mph curve with 3 year old High Performance Sumitomo HTR AS P02s or 6 year old touring Michelins? I'll take the Sumitomos.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
128 Posts
In my wallet, I would trust my 3 year old condom, more than I would I trust my six year old condom.
Remember, any tire sold has to meet DOT specs. So in reality, besides advertising all tires are the same.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
I'm on the board of directors of the cheap bastard club, but tires being literally (and I mean literally, literally :)) what keeps your vehicle on the road, I want good quality tires for myself, my loved ones, and everybody else I share the road with, for that matter.
I'm testing out these "cheap," made in Thailand truck tires. Otani RK1000. 10 ply, Load Range E, 118 S speed rating. $400 shipped!
Does anybody want to buy my vehicle? Just don't look at my tires. LOL

Reactions: aggrex and plplplpl

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
Would you want to go into a 70mph curve with 3 year old High Performance Sumitomo HTR AS P02s or 6 year old touring Michelins? I'll take the Sumitomos.
Slowing down in your old age?
It used to be 75 mph curves.

·
Registered
6,722 Posts
I'm testing out these "cheap," made in Thailand truck tires. Otani RK1000. 10 ply, Load Range E, 118 S speed rating. $400 shipped!
Does anybody want to buy my vehicle? Just don't look at my tires. LOL
View attachment 140844
Will you be driving the van with those tires?
Or, will someone else be doing the testing for you?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
On the last poll it was unanimous that more people prefer new flexible rubber over old stiff rubber. It’s a win win for safety and protection. I’m sure you can relate.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
After mounting and balance. I'll take it out for a test drive. Then it will be used by who ever needs it.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Are you afraid of my low price tires?

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
128 Posts
Are tires that meet the minimum specs sufficient for you?
Many of our local trucking fleets were only using bridgestone, firestone, michelin etc.
Hercules was the first lower priced competition, one drive tire @320 compared to 550 plus for name brand.
16 ply instead of 14 ply. They wore well, had a nice tread that works well in the mud and snow. No problems with
them, and the casings re-capped well. In fact sometimes we could get three caps off the original casing.
Do not judge a tire by what name is stamped on the sidewall. There are good lower priced tires out there.
In fact a lot of dump trucks switched to the hercs, because brand new they were the same price as a cap.
See them everywhere now, with no ill effects. As long as you meet DOT standards, they are safe, just do not have
the name brand.

81 - 100 of 114 Posts