Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This must be a very stupid question but here goes, "We got our Pilot in August 13. Since we were very busy working and taking care of a new born, our car had not yet got its 1st car wash!!!! We're planning to have it washed this weekend.

Question #1, should we have it wax afterward or it does not need waxing yet?

Question #2, Since we always parking the car outdoor (no garage), is it too late for waxing now and had the paint coat been damaged yet?

Thanks

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Relax

Its never too late.
Its rarely too early.

The more you wax the more you will want to.

I try to keep it to once a year. (so far I have been successful, even if I miss a year or two) :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
thotru,
Go ahead and wash it, then wax it. The paint finish should be fine.

·
Registered
592 Posts
thotru:

Relax. Like N_Jay said, its never too late.

Look up some information on Zaino (search for Zaino) and you may want to do that. (www.zainobros.com) Also you can search for a whole wealth of information right here on this forum.

Good Luck and Congrats on the new arrival (Pilot and the new born) !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your time and advices.
Now i feel so much better. Will check out Zaino products.
thanks again
thomas

·
Registered
664 Posts
Go for it.

I got mine in June(10th) and while I washed it religiously I did not put my first wax on it until two weeks ago. (Sept 10th) I put on a coat of Meguairs Polish followed by a coat of Gold Class wax. It looks great and is like glass.

Anyway, that was three months and from what I could find mine was built in April so now we are near 5 months for it's first wax. So I think 30 days i like spoiling it!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I plan on giving my Pilot a coat of Meguiar's glaze, followed by a coat or two of gold class wax. Do you think this is good enough, or should I be doing more? It's black, so I want to make sure it always looks good....

·
Registered
186 Posts
WannaPilot said:
I plan on giving my Pilot a coat of Meguiar's glaze, followed by a coat or two of gold class wax. Do you think this is good enough, or should I be doing more? It's black, so I want to make sure it always looks good....
If you use Zaino on that black beast you'll get a shine like no other.

Bake:2:

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'm sure someone will jump on it but I think your Meguiars and Zaino will look equally as good, after all the Zaino and Gold Class are both polymers.

Just pamper it.

DON'T use a car wash brush on it...EVER. Hose it off if you must but be nice to the paint.

I like the soft chemise sponges you can buy, they seem to do a great job. I am not overly impressed with any automatic car wash, brushless or not, they all seem to scratch to a degree.

If it ain't by washed hand it ain't washed! (No english teachers, please!)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Many say that layering conventional waxes (as opposed to polymers like Zaino) are best done with a week inbetween to allow the first layer to fully cure. If you apply the layers right after each other, you end up simply mixing the new was with the wax from theprevious layer and ending up with one, slightly thicker layer.

The "no brush" tip is a good one. I use a soft cotton wash mitt. I dry only using microfiber cloth (after a first pass with my leaf blower).

Chris

·
Registered
116 Posts
I use a cotton wash mitt which I dip into a bucket of clean water between each application of soap to dislodge any dirt that it has picked up. I applied the first coat of wax three weeks after I got the vehicle and it is still holding well. It rains here all the time and the water is still beading off the vehicle. It is time for applying the second coat of (conventional) wax.

·
Registered
920 Posts
What about this claim that the CA Water Blade creates 15x less friction than conventional towels or chamois???

I've used that blade a few times and it has worked pretty well...

For all of you "hand wash" people...what do you suggest when you are in a climate like MN that get the sand and salt treatment when it snows??? How do you hand wash your car when it’s 15 degrees???

·
Registered
56 Posts
CA Water Blade

I picked up a CA water blade and have used it on the Civic. I'm not really impressed with it. I would much rather use an "absorber" towel - the ones that hold (or so they say) 50x its weight in water.

I've ordered several different towels over the internet, and I'm waiting for them to be delivered. I'll let you know if I find one I like better.

:29:

·
Registered
919 Posts
MG Pilot said:
What about this claim that the CA Water Blade creates 15x less friction than conventional towels or chamois???

I've used that blade a few times and it has worked pretty well...

For all of you "hand wash" people...what do you suggest when you are in a climate like MN that get the sand and salt treatment when it snows??? How do you hand wash your car when it’s 15 degrees???
I haven't used the Water Blade so I can't say. As far as cold weather washing goes, some use touchless washes and have good luck with them. Others use rinseless wash products such as Protect Alss Quick & Easy wash. You basically mix it up in a gallon bucket and wash your car with out rinsing. No hose required. It sounds scary, but some of the Autopians (including one that I consider the best detailer I've ever seen) use it religiously.

Chris

·
Registered
144 Posts
Poorboy's Spray & Wipe

Check out Poorboy's Spray & Wipe. I use it to "wash" my vehicles. If you have any questions, give Steve (the owner) a call and he'll gladly explain in detail how to properly use it.

I also use the Polish w/ 100% Carnuba. Easy to use and leaves a great shine with long lasting protection. Just the recipe for the upcoming winter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Poorboysword.com

Aggie Pilot

I called Steve today and he is an outstanding guy. I placed my order based on your recommendations and some help from Steve. Thanks for the great info.

EVERYONE - CONTACT THIS GUY STEVEN AND TRY HIS PRODUCTS.
www.poorboysworld.com

By the way, my name is Steve as well and I am NOT associated with his company.

Steven

·
Registered
144 Posts
Steven,

You'll be amazed at the ease of use and performance of Poorboy's products. The first application of the polish will really clean up the finish. You may notice quite a bit of build up on your applicator from the wax and other stuff that is being removed. You may also want to have 2 or 3 applicators handy. I used the white cotton over foam applicators. The second application will be a lot cleaner and you'll notice even more improvement in the shine. And it gets better and better. I cut my detailing time in half compared to the conventional way I used to clean my vehicles.

Steve is a great guy and really knows his stuff. He has always patiently answered my questions in easy to understand terms. I even used the Natural Shine to clean up my work shoes. And was amazed how they shine. I never thought detailing would be so easy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What do you all think of this. My wife thinks i'm nuts but I blow dry the pilot with my leave blower at 200mph wind speed.

·
Registered
919 Posts
slimjim said:
What do you all think of this. My wife thinks i'm nuts but I blow dry the pilot with my leave blower at 200mph wind speed.
This is what my neighbors and I do all the time. It works great, especially to get the water out of all the little crevices around the side rear windows, below the rear spoiler, roof rack, etc.

Chris

·
Registered
186 Posts
slimjim said:
I think it's smart - I do the same with both the Vette and the Pilot - there are places on the Vette - mirrors and tail lights in particular - where you just can't get the water out, and when you drive it ends up all over the car. Same with the Pilot - I've added a plastic grill to rear license area, and blower gets water out very nicely - also does a good job around the windows.:4:

Bake

P.S. Wives think we're crazy anyway:2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts