Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since COVID started my wife has been working from home. Going into the office 1 day a week. So the Pilot drives pretty much around town now. Enough of the back story, lol.

Drained the atf and it still looked reddish color. Not extremely dirty looking like some I’ve seen. Filled with Amsoil blue cap. Just a hair under 4 arts came out. 3.75 went in. I’ve got a factory cooler waiting to go in. The minder is at 40% so I’ll wait a little bit to do a second round then cooler install and then the last drain and fill.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
I'd be interested to know if your happy with the shifting characteristics. Especially after you do a 2nd d&f.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm really curious how the Amsoil will shift as well. I know it's a high quality synthetic and I'm betting it'll hold up much better than DW-1 in the heat.

Just to clarify, you're using the "Signature Series Fuel Efficient ATF" or "OE Fuel Efficient ATF"?

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm really curious how the Amsoil will shift as well. I know it's a high quality synthetic and I'm betting it'll hold up much better than DW-1 in the heat.

Just to clarify, you're using the "Signature Series Fuel Efficient ATF" or "OE Fuel Efficient ATF"?

Signature

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd be interested to know if your happy with the shifting characteristics. Especially after you do a 2nd d&f.
Took it out for a spin and so far so good. I did notice when I checked the level one side of the dipstick was way higher that the other side. The other side was between the hot marks.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Took it out for a spin and so far so good. I did notice when I checked the level one side of the dipstick was way higher that the other side. The other side was between the hot marks.
I hate that our transmission dipstick is so hard to read. Glad there is one! But boy, it sucks.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
There's only one side of the stick you read, so that's pretty easy......it's getting to it and not touching the hot areas that's tricky. I guess a tranny dipstick as long as the engine oil dipstick would cost Honda bazillions of $.

Reactions: toolazy4alogin

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's only one side of the stick you read, so that's pretty easy......it's getting to it and not touching the hot areas that's tricky. I guess a tranny dipstick as long as the engine oil dipstick would cost Honda bazillions of $.
It’s not too bad. I reach down with my right hand. Yeah they could of made it a few inches taller or even the fill tube for that matter.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Tell me it’s not too bad after you follow Honda’s instructions........hold rpm at 3000 until efans turn on (+205F), turn motor off, check fluid level within 60-90 seconds after turning motor off.

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tell me it’s not too bad after you follow Honda’s instructions........hold rpm at 3000 until efans turn on (+205F), turn motor off, check fluid level within 60-90 seconds after turning motor off.
Easy peasy. I let it idle for a while, shifted through the gears a few times, reved it to 2000 rpm for a minute or so, let it idle. Fans came on, shut it down and check.

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Easy peasy. I let it idle for a while, shifted through the gears a few times, reved it to 2000 rpm for a minute or so, let it idle. Fans came on, shut it down and check. Our beloved 08 CRV was the same way.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
That’s a direct violation of the Honda Genuine instructions. Lol. I believe Honda has changed the tranny fluid level check procedure to have the fluid level checked by the dealership.

Wonder if Honda changed the procedure due to hot parts and lawyers?

·
Registered
883 Posts
That’s a direct violation of the Honda Genuine instructions. Lol. I believe Honda has changed the tranny fluid level check procedure to have the fluid level checked by the dealership.

Wonder if Honda changed the procedure due to hot parts and lawyers?
The 9 speed transmission doesn't have a dipstick. There is a specific procedure you are supposed to follow (as in dealer does it). There is a work around somewhat when draining and filling (put in exactly how much came out when both are at the same temperature and hope it was the proper level to begin with, LOL!)

The 6 speed transmissions still have the dipstick and should be no reason the owner can't check it themselves.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
The 9 speed transmission doesn't have a dipstick. There is a specific procedure you are supposed to follow (as in dealer does it). There is a work around somewhat when draining and filling (put in exactly how much came out when both are at the same temperature and hope it was the proper level to begin with, LOL!)

The 6 speed transmissions still have the dipstick and should be no reason the owner can't check it themselves.
Then why does the owners manual say take it to your dealer for TF level check? Ooops, I forgot, I'm in the Piloteers, forum, not the Ridgeline forum. Maybe the G3 Pilot 6 speed owners manual does not say take it to your dealer.....or does it? 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Then why does the owners manual say take it to your dealer for TF level check? Ooops, I forgot, I'm in the Piloteers, forum, not the Ridgeline forum. Maybe the G3 Pilot 6 speed owners manual does not say take it to your dealer.....or does it? 🤷‍♂️
Be smarter than the vehicle. Just because the manufacturer says to take in the dealer doesn’t mean you should.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,571 Posts
What transmission does the Ridgeline have in it? If it has the 9 speed then there really isn't a way to check the level. If it's the 6 speed then any knucklehead can check that.

·
Registered
11,364 Posts
What transmission does the Ridgeline have in it? If it has the 9 speed then there really isn't a way to check the level. If it's the 6 speed then any knucklehead can check that.
🤪

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Be careful checking, don't want to burn your knuckles.

Let's see......on the 9 speed you overfill the tranny, pull the full plug, let fluid drain 'til fluid drips and replace the full plug. That's not even a challenge for a knucklehead. In the video I watched, there's no hot EGR tube, no hot radiator hoses and no hot efan motor when checking the 9 speed fluid level. I'd bet most goobers can remember lefty loosy, drippy drippy and righty tighty. ;)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Really????......might want to re-think that one.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts