Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Extremely satisfied with our new family hauler here in California. Coming from a 2009 Ridgeline RT, this Pilot is a tremendous upgrade. We head to Tahoe a lot so AWD was the only option that was a must. I noticed many upper trim level Pilots that look fantastic and I’d thought I’d share the first mod of many for our LX.

ATF cooler dealer installed at cost as part of our agreement $129 out the door. This model doesn’t have the tow package so wiring and hitch will be coming along in the future.

Next up will be the Weather Tech splash guards which I’m awaiting to arrive this week.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L, 265-60-18 on Ridgeline rims
364 Posts
UPSPilot- I don't know where you fell with the Ridgeline and what was done for all your trips. If you didn't, as a pre-winter mod consider spare rims with some dedicated snows for them. The Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport that came all the ones around me rate HORRIBLY for snow https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+H%2FP+Sport+AS&partnum=46HR8HPSASV2&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Honda&autoYear=2019&autoModel=Pilot%20AWD&autoModClar=EX-L#RatingsReviews . As they say YMMV but my wife wanted to return the Pilot after 2 days because we had a crazy snow and she couldn't stop on a small hill. I put Continental WinterContact SI on it and she was much happier in the next couple snow/ice events.

Just switched back to Duelers and even she commented that it rides stiffer and is noisier. I noticed it coming from shop but didn't say anything.

The "good" news is you'll be looking for new tires in 20k anyway as they'll be worn out. Then you could consider some other versions like Michelin LTX M/S or Nokian WRG (whatever number they are on now) if you want to stick with one tire.

Also check my threads with the tranny and modes (snow/mud/sand) and try it where you have an opportunity. The owners manual doesn't have much info but some links I did have more. Switching to Sand is interesting if you don't know what to expect but may help you in deeper snow (as well as turning off stability control in snow mode). Catch 22 is less systems keeping you under control so get unstuck and reactivate the safeties.

Bernardi Honda and College Hills had best prices I found if you DIY most of your stuff.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPSPilot- I don't know where you fell with the Ridgeline and what was done for all your trips. If you didn't, as a pre-winter mod consider spare rims with some dedicated snows for them. The Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport that came all the ones around me rate HORRIBLY for snow https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+H%2FP+Sport+AS&partnum=46HR8HPSASV2&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Honda&autoYear=2019&autoModel=Pilot%20AWD&autoModClar=EX-L#RatingsReviews . As they say YMMV but my wife wanted to return the Pilot after 2 days because we had a crazy snow and she couldn't stop on a small hill. I put Continental WinterContact SI on it and she was much happier in the next couple snow/ice events.

Just switched back to Duelers and even she commented that it rides stiffer and is noisier. I noticed it coming from shop but didn't say anything.

The "good" news is you'll be looking for new tires in 20k anyway as they'll be worn out. Then you could consider some other versions like Michelin LTX M/S or Nokian WRG (whatever number they are on now) if you want to stick with one tire.

Also check my threads with the tranny and modes (snow/mud/sand) and try it where you have an opportunity. The owners manual doesn't have much info but some links I did have more. Switching to Sand is interesting if you don't know what to expect but may help you in deeper snow (as well as turning off stability control in snow mode). Catch 22 is less systems keeping you under control so get unstuck and reactivate the safeties.

Bernardi Honda and College Hills had best prices I found if you DIY most of your stuff.
I appreciate all your useful information, thank you! I haven’t been able to see how the stock tires do but I did anticipate changing them out in late summer regardless of miles. I’m a huge fan of the Michelin as I had them on the Ridgeline. Costco will hopefully have their $70 off sale by the time fall begins. I’ll check out your transmission threads. As for as the modes for the AWD system, my AWD LX does not have the select modes. It does have the I-VTM which shows on the gauge cluster. I look forward to see how it performs in the snow.

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
I’ll check out your transmission threads. As for as the modes for the AWD system, my AWD LX does not have the select modes. It does have the I-VTM which shows on the gauge cluster. I look forward to see how it performs in the snow.
Look right between your gear shifter and the center storage, is there a small rectangle button? I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. That is where on the AWD (at least EX-L and up) is the mode select for the IVTM4. It also always defaults back to "normal" everytime you start the Pilot. At the Beach, in the Snow, Camping in Mud. When you start you need to reselect if you want other than normal.

·
Registered
364 Posts
UPSPilot,
This is the terrain button. I found one sight that says its on EX and up which kind of $uck$ if that is the case.

Now to find a wrecked EX or higher in junkyard and get the switch and bezel. Maybe like some other cars, all the wiring is there just need to plug into it for a mod. I know on many of the Toyota Corolla's, cruise control was option. Many people got the switch from Junkyard or Rockauto, popped the panel on the wheel and plugged in. Walla it worked perfectly.

Maybe you'd get lucky and all wiring is there and ECU has the info. In Normal mode it knows to send torque to different wheels so maybe.....

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are correct sequioasoon, LX doesn’t have the terrain button below the shifter but it does show the AWD in real-time on the instrument display.

Nice plug and play find for those Corrola’s. I’m satisfied with not having the option at this time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice! I guess I’d have to see if there is a hidden plug under the shifter console which would be the plugin for the terrain button.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts