Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not being real fond of foreign cars, I was a skeptic when the wife wanted the Pilot. It's been a good car, but I haven't really done a lot of driving with it yet.
So we just returned from a quick 6 day tour of Western Colorado and I have to admit that this thing is pretty impressive!!
I didn't push it real hard since we were on vacation, but going over Red Mountain pass we were trying to get to Durango to visit some friends and we've been over this pass many times, so I decided to let it all hang out!!
Unfortunately, the pass was loaded with flat-landers who can’t go around any corner faster than 25 mph. So I started pushing the Pilot to the limit passing up to 4 cars at a time.
In other words, 25 mph to 80 mph and then hard braking for a corner one time after another.
When all was said and done, the suspension was very adequate for hard corning, more than enough power, brakes worked smooth and didn’t fade, AND it got 23.8 mpg!!!
There was a guy in a Saab turbo that had been following me all the way, he followed me into a gas station to find out what kind of car we were driving because he was so impressed with the performance. His wife wants a new car and he said he was going to go drive one that weekend.
So all in all, I’m impressed with the Honda!
Now if they would just move that oil filter so it wasn’t so messy to change oil I would really be happy!!
G.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Good job! I drove from LA to Bay area with AC on all the way and got a mileage of 24 MPG!! That really surprised me!
I still have only 700 miles.

I was looking to change oil on my own but after reading your post, it looks like it will be a messy job for sure! BTW, where exactly is the oil filter located?

·
Registered
920 Posts
ILOVELEGEND said:
Good job! I drove from LA to Bay area with AC on all the way and got a mileage of 24 MPG!! That really surprised me!
I still have only 700 miles.

I was looking to change oil on my own but after reading your post, it looks like it will be a messy job for sure! BTW, where exactly is the oil filter located?
The oil filter is located in the storage compartment behind the 3rd row...good luck!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Booger, I echo your experiences.

Took a trip about a week ago from SF Bay Area to Las Vegas to South Lake Tahoe, about 1,500 miles total.

While my gas mileage didn't approach yours, it did average above 20 mpg. Note that we had a Yakima rocket box on the roof and that generally cuts 1-2 mpg.

Until this trip, I haven't really had the opportunity to feel the lift kick in on the VTEC engine. Well, traveling 2 lane backtop headed from Las Vegas to South Lake Tahoe really provided that opportunity. Passing and going from 75 to 100+ with the rocket box on top seemed effortless (and a lot of fun :D ). Unlike your experience, though, there wasn't anyone else on the road that kept up with the Pilot.

I have always felt that the Pilot was an excellent all purpose vehicle and this trip truly underscored that assessment.

·
Registered
393 Posts
MG Pilot said:

The oil filter is located in the storage compartment behind the 3rd row...good luck!
MG Pilot,

Thanks for the laughs.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Once you put the Pilot to highway miles only, the gas mileage increases nicely! I got 22 mpg's on a trip to the bay area last weekend in pretty heavy traffic (many stop and go areas). By the way, I have 4200 miles on it and my gas mileage average has increased recently by 1 mpg (from 18 to 19). Still haven't had the first oil change...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Filter location

Ilovelegend,
I looked at Kemosabe's picture and it was a little tough to tell where the filter is located by that, so thought I would clarify.
Crawl under the car right behind the passenger side front wheel and look up. You can't miss it.
It's not that bad to change the oil on, it's just that when removing the filter, some oil runs down the side of the block of off some sheet metal, over a hose onto a bolt that drops it just 3 inches from where you drain pan can reach ;-{)

I've been spoiled by my Dodge truck which has a verticle oil filter. No drips or spills as long and you don't drop it!!

Get a big piece of cardboard and do the oil change yourself!!
G.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Filter location

booger said:
Ilovelegend,
I looked at Kemosabe's picture and it was a little tough to tell where the filter is located by that, so thought I would clarify.
Crawl under the car right behind the passenger side front wheel and look up. You can't miss it.
It's not that bad to change the oil on, it's just that when removing the filter, some oil runs down the side of the block of off some sheet metal, over a hose onto a bolt that drops it just 3 inches from where you drain pan can reach ;-{)

I've been spoiled by my Dodge truck which has a verticle oil filter. No drips or spills as long and you don't drop it!!

G.
Agree with booger - it is not all that bad. I have changed worse ones!!! Nothing compares to the old cartridge type of years past!! :eek:

You can save yourself a lot money and inconvenience by doing your own oil changes.

YMMV

·
Registered
7,953 Posts

booger said:
Ilovelegend,

thats what my corolla has...and dont even have to get under the car...:2:

·
Registered
22 Posts
DIY Oil Changes

Another good reason to do your own oil changes is that you know that it is done right. I can't tell you how many times I've taken my civic to a "national" chain that ONLY does oil changes...and they still can't do the job right.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people do half-a$$'d jobs b/c they just don't care about your stuff. If (when) I end up getting a Pilot, you can rest assured that if the oil change isn't done at the dealership, it will be done in my driveway...don't take the chance.

:4:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Re: DIY Oil Changes

autox17 said:
Another good reason to do your own oil changes is that you know that it is done right. I can't tell you how many times I've taken my civic to a "national" chain that ONLY does oil changes...and they still can't do the job right.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people do half-a$$'d jobs b/c they just don't care about your stuff. If (when) I end up getting a Pilot, you can rest assured that if the oil change isn't done at the dealership, it will be done in my driveway...don't take the chance.

:4:
This is my biggest reason too. I once had to cuss out a stupid mechanic for putting a BIG grease footprint on my passanger seat on my newly redone WHITE Camaro interior.:3:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Colo trip mpg-oil changes

We were recently on a vacation trip(New Orleans-Flagstaff),and were in the same nech of the woods when we went to Mesa Verde(Cortez) from Flagstaff.We got about 18.5mpg on the way back to Flagstaff,but we had a Yakima Loadwarrier basket on the roof,it was hilly,and we drove fast(70+ uphill) and there was 3 adults and 2 70 lbs greyhounds,and 2 Mtn. bikes on the rear hitch.Our overall vacation trip mileage was only about 17mpg,but the basket(with extension it is 62x39x6") was filled way over the top-maybe 10" over..It was a great trip of 3700 miles and the Pilot performed very well;only complaint is mpg(and the basket and speed might explain that-also we did get better mileage at altitude(thin air,less drag),checked that also).At home,in flatland hy driving at 60mph I get ~23mpg;in pure city,only 14mpg-not great,but not as bad as a Sequoia(our second choice).
The oil filter isn't very hard to get to;turn the wheel to the right,and you can see it peaking behind the wheel well.Just spray some simple green and the drips(it won't be much,2-4 ounces maybe),and hose them off.You can save $25-30(total cost Syn about $55 around here in New Orleans-I can get Mobil 1 for $21/5qts and a filter for $3)) a change if you are using Syn oil.For some reason the markup to do a Syn oil change is about $30 more than the cost of oil and filter.For reg Petro oil it is maybe $10-$15 more than cost(price~ $18-28-oil and filter $6+3).I actually use Honda Filters(~$5.50 each).
The Pilot is a champ vacation vehicle,and can hold,and haul a lot of stuff(13"tv and Playstation 2 on backseat for son 3 big pillows,2 full sized dogs) MPG is the only downside(not surprised about it thanks to MY3KIDS-thanks my3kids.
I have run on;it is a great vehicle(thirsty in the city,but it weighs 4400 lbswith AWD,and redlights every mile)Charlie

·
Registered
49 Posts

booger said:
Ilovelegend,

G.
Thanks Booger! Will do it on my own!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Oil filter location

The first time I changed the oil, I turned the wheels to the right before shutting down the engine. You don't even need to get underneath the car to remove the filter. Reach in, push the fender splash guard aside and unscrew. As far as the mess goes, once the filter is spin-able by hand, you can turn slowly until the oil just starts to flow over the filter and just leave it there a few seconds before removing the rest of the way. Then the trick is to hold tight as the weight drops fully in your hand once it's free of all threads.

This is about as easy as it gets, and the residual oil is easily wiped up with a paper towel or two.

·
Registered
367 Posts
chassis-Hybrid?looks like ladder type

Kemosabe,that is the chassis?It looks a bit like an old fashioned body on frame type.I vaguely remember something in a brochure that said something about "reinforcing the chassis",guess this is it.Charlie

1 - 20 of 27 Posts