Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the months of my wife’s complaints on the “Keyless Start System Problem”error message, I finally stopped in to my local Honda dealership to purchase a new start button today. I decided to ask if there was a service bulletin on this issue. Hallelujah! American Honda is now extending the warranty for the keyless start system to nine years from the original date of purchase. Going to have them take a look at it on Monday rather than me pulling my dash apart...great news eh? (Well, not exactly great news for all you guys who already struggled through this one...)

·
Registered
Home of the 301k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
13,751 Posts
It's about time. Surprised it doesn't cover more years.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Pilot Elite
2 Posts
Hey I'm wondering has anyone else had this other problem with Keyless Engine start: Not all the time, but I'd say about 1/10 of the times I use keyless start I get into the car, press the break/start button, but at that point can not turn on the seat heaters or steering wheel heater. I've reported it to my dealer (I am in a 2017 still under warranty) but it doesn't happen all the time so I'm unable to prove it to them. Any others have this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have also been getting the keyless engine start error message off and on. Just like the emissions system error that pops up occassionally (a separate issue that Honda just extended the warranty on), it seems to come and go. When it shows up, it seems to do so for maybe 1~2 days at a time and then goes away. I have a 2016 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV. I have an appt. with my local Honda dealer for this Thursday to have both issues (keyless starter issue and the emissions error) addressed under the warranty extensions. I can't find the actual mailer I got from Honda about the keyless starter issue warranty extension but I found a copy of such on the web.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had my push-button starter replaced and fuel injectors and software updated on Thursday and so far so good. All of the issues regarding the 2 errors have been addressed. All work was done free under Honda's extended warranty releases issued in Dec. and in March that specifically mentioned these 2 issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After the months of my wife’s complaints on the “Keyless Start System Problem”error message, I finally stopped in to my local Honda dealership to purchase a new start button today. I decided to ask if there was a service bulletin on this issue. Hallelujah! American Honda is now extending the warranty for the keyless start system to nine years from the original date of purchase. Going to have them take a look at it on Monday rather than me pulling my dash apart...great news eh? (Well, not exactly great news for all you guys who already struggled through this one...) View attachment 142966
YES! Took mine in last week and asked them to replace it. Tech said asked if I was having problems. Now, what does he think -- that I am going to wait till I am stranded somewhere. Yes, I had a problem, the light was on telling me I had a problem. Glad Honda owned up to this problem and do hope it is permanently fixed. Now, If I can find my fob, I will be happy.:cool:

·
Registered
141 Posts
We had an issue where it would start but give an error about keyless system, was rather regular, did remote batteries no luck. I thought the dealer was nuts when they told me it was the idle engine off switch but kept my mouth shut (experience as a benz tech, seen weirder things) and its been about a year now and I have not seen that error; knock on wood. I wonder how many others may have the same issue but are getting ignitions replaced with no luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After the months of my wife’s complaints on the “Keyless Start System Problem”error message, I finally stopped in to my local Honda dealership to purchase a new start button today. I decided to ask if there was a service bulletin on this issue. Hallelujah! American Honda is now extending the warranty for the keyless start system to nine years from the original date of purchase. Going to have them take a look at it on Monday rather than me pulling my dash apart...great news eh? (Well, not exactly great news for all you guys who already struggled through this one...) View attachment 142966
I wish it was for my 2017 Pilot but they said it was not included. What crap is that.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
6,132 Posts
I wish it was for my 2017 Pilot but they said it was not included. What crap is that.
Your vin probably indicates that your vehicle is one of the vehicles that received a different, modified, or improved keyless entry system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just scheduled a appointment about same issue. And they said with my vin it says diagnose needed. And they said if it’s not covered under warranty they’ll charge me $150. Does it make any sense ? Obviously there’s a issue with this part and they extend the warranty. And for me to find out if it’s Hondas manufactures fault or not. I have to risk $150 of my own money? I can order the part and fix it myself. But if it’s under warranty i would want to use the warranty service. Any advice?? Need some help from other pilot owners.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I just scheduled a appointment about same issue. And they said with my vin it says diagnose needed. And they said if it’s not covered under warranty they’ll charge me $150. Does it make any sense ? Obviously there’s a issue with this part and they extend the warranty. And for me to find out if it’s Hondas manufactures fault or not. I have to risk $150 of my own money? I can order the part and fix it myself. But if it’s under warranty i would want to use the warranty service. Any advice?? Need some help from other pilot owners.
I believe it is standard precedure for them to say that when your vehicle is out of warranty, they all say that. I was told the same thing when my 17 Pilot had keyless system error,. Basically, they do not change the part unless they see code stored, they do not care if your Pilot is within the affected Vin or not and will not change start switch unless code is stored, you will be charged if they do not see code stored (This is what the tech @ dealer told me), I have Honda care, so, they can't charge me for diagnostic fee. I would take a picture when you have the error message and take it to them right away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe it is standard precedure for them to say that when your vehicle is out of warranty, they all say that. I was told the same thing when my 17 Pilot had keyless system error,. Basically, they do not change the part unless they see code stored, they do not care if your Pilot is within the affected Vin or not and will not change start switch unless code is stored, you will be charged if they do not see code stored (This is what the tech @ dealer told me), I have Honda care, so, they can't charge me for diagnostic fee. I would take a picture when you have the error message and take it to them right away.
Thanks. I did have a message. Saying key less
thanks. I do have a error message. Saying keyless start problem. And I told them that. Part is $70 so I can do it myself. But if it’s under warranty I’d rather have them do it you know? What do you think I should do??

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
1,010 Posts

thanks. I do have a error message. Saying keyless start problem. And I told them that. Part is $70 so I can do it myself. But if it’s under warranty I’d rather have them do it you know? What do you think I should do??
It is an easy 15 min job to replace the switch. Just make sure that you get the Genuine Honda part and not an Amazon knockoff.

·
Registered
317 Posts

i would let them do it, is free, why not?

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
1,010 Posts
I changed mine out before the service bulletin was issued but since I purchased the new switch from the dealer they reimbursed me the cost of the part after the fact so I was happy. No issues with it since but make sure that you keep the receipt.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts