Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,after 3 months of lurking,I finally bought a 2003 EX Pilot(cloth) at Gunn Honda in San Antonio.I live in New Orleans so the price had to be great-$26,995 to get me to fly in($157 ticket0 and drive home 540 miles(took just 8.5 hours-the Pilot is a great trip vehicle).
Brandon Heath was my online rep,and he was great.No BS,no last minute stuff,nothing!My impression from online and on telephone discussions with Brandon was that they were straight shooters,and there wouldn't be any last minute "stuff",and there wasn't!.Out the door price was $29,575 .My parish in Louisiana has a 8.75% sales tax(almost $2400),the rest was Title and registration and ~$60 for TX inventory tax ,and about $50 doc fee.
The local dealers in New Orleans wanted at least $1000 more,and that was for one with a much lower VIN(about 50,000) that had sat on the lot for months.My VIN is ~100,370.Nothing wrong with a lower VIN,I guess,but I figure if Honda has corrected any 1st year shortcomings,the higher VIN's are a better bet.(probably nothing to that,but ...).
Sorry to run run on.If you want more detail PM or email me [email protected] Luck,Charlie PS 1st tank 21.7mpg at
70 mph cruise on-AC Blasting all the way(Tx is as hot,and almost as humid as Louisiana)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I called the dealership, there are still 3 PILOT in stock, the price are
26,995 27450 and 28250, they are almost same thing except the color. They give the good deal because the car has been in stock for a while -- the longer the car stay in stock, the better deal you can get. Too bad none of them is silver color. So, if anyone want a Pilot EX with white or others, hurry up! The number is 210-680-3371, Bradon Heath.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just wait-Silver will come

JYOU,just wait,and watch(and call,the prices listed are usually not the latest),a Silver will come along.I just missed a Silver EXL for $27,995 by about 10 minutes last week.I called got the price,talked with my wife when she arrived home to get the OK.When I called back,I just missed it.Well,I wasn't heart broken;the leather smells and looks very "rich",and certainly adds $1000 to the "eyeball" worthiness of the car,but the $1000 I saved let me "mailorder" a hitch(for my bicycle rack) a front mask (for all the bugs in south Louisiana),the crossbars and a roof basket for our summer driving trip,and sidesteps(well,I will order them soon).This stuff is just about $1000,so I am happy.Besides,the leather is very hot when you 1st sit on it if it has been out in the Louisiana sun.(Yes,this is pure sour grapes,I would have put up with that for the look and smell of leather- the Pilot has a great AC).
Luck,Charlie
PS They have about 7- 8 in stock,and they get lots of shipments.They do such a big vol. that Honda must give them a huge allocation of Pilots.Luck,Charlie
PPS I don't feel the least bit "beat up" after the long day that ended with 550 miles of driving(arrived home at 2am).The seat feels "stiff" when you 1st get in ,but you can adjust it so well,that it doesn't feel"hard",or leave you with a backache-even when you are a beat up 52 yo.I still prefer the nice soft foam of the power seat in my Tundra,but Honda must know something about seats.Our 95 Accord has a firm seat also,Honda trait..

·
Registered
23 Posts
charlie said:
Well,after 3 months of lurking,I finally bought a 2003 EX Pilot(cloth) at Gunn Honda in San Antonio.I live in New Orleans so the price had to be great-$26,995 to get me to fly in($157 ticket0 and drive home 540 miles(took just 8.5 hours-the Pilot is a great trip vehicle).
Brandon Heath was my online rep,and he was great.No BS,no last minute stuff,nothing!My impression from online and on telephone discussions with Brandon was that they were straight shooters,and there wouldn't be any last minute "stuff",and there wasn't!.Out the door price was $29,575 .My parish in Louisiana has a 8.75% sales tax(almost $2400),the rest was Title and registration and ~$60 for TX inventory tax ,and about $50 doc fee.
The local dealers in New Orleans wanted at least $1000 more,and that was for one with a much lower VIN(about 50,000) that had sat on the lot for months.My VIN is ~100,370.Nothing wrong with a lower VIN,I guess,but I figure if Honda has corrected any 1st year shortcomings,the higher VIN's are a better bet.(probably nothing to that,but ...).
Sorry to run run on.If you want more detail PM or email me [email protected] Luck,Charlie PS 1st tank 21.7mpg at
70 mph cruise on-AC Blasting all the way(Tx is as hot,and almost as humid as Louisiana)
Hey Charlie! This is Brandon from Gunn Honda. I was just talking to a gentlemen from Austin, and he mentioned that my name was on this forum. I just wanted to say thanks again for your business and I appreciate your help with referrals! We are fresh out of Pilots right now. We had a gentlemen just buy the last six we had for his business. He purchased all six and two Accords! (must be nice!) We do have more on the way and I appreciate your help. I am glad to see you are enjoying your new Pilot! If you need anything please let me know. I guess you made it to the Alamo okay?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alamo ok

Brandon,no problem making it to the Alamo.The area around it sure seems to have changed since I last saw it in 1958.I still got the same general impression I got when I was 7-no wonder the Texans lost.No way could they defend that against cannon and several thousand soldiers.
.My wife is very ,very pleased with the Pilot. During the whole car searching-buying process she was afraid I would bring home something like the Tundra(or the Sequoia which I was considering).When she drove the Pilot,she was very pleased;it drove and felt,a lot like the Accord.It is amazing that Honda could find all that interior spacein something the length of an Accord.We "dog tested" it in the morning;they(2 tall ,70 lb greyhounds) hopped right in and fit just fine behind the second row.Honda really sized it just right;big enough for 5-6 adults on a long trip(luggage on roof),but short enough for it to be "handy" in city driving and parking.The mileage is reasonable-we got 21.7 at 70 mph on the trip home-on a "tight"new motor.The Sequoia would have gotten 16mpg(maybe).
Glad business is good,thanks,Charlie

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: Alamo ok

charlie said:
Brandon,no problem making it to the Alamo.The area around it sure seems to have changed since I last saw it in 1958.I still got the same general impression I got when I was 7-no wonder the Texans lost.No way could they defend that against cannon and several thousand soldiers.
.My wife is very ,very pleased with the Pilot. During the whole car searching-buying process she was afraid I would bring home something like the Tundra(or the Sequoia which I was considering).When she drove the Pilot,she was very pleased;it drove and felt,a lot like the Accord.It is amazing that Honda could find all that interior spacein something the length of an Accord.We "dog tested" it in the morning;they(2 tall ,70 lb greyhounds) hopped right in and fit just fine behind the second row.Honda really sized it just right;big enough for 5-6 adults on a long trip(luggage on roof),but short enough for it to be "handy" in city driving and parking.The mileage is reasonable-we got 21.7 at 70 mph on the trip home-on a "tight"new motor.The Sequoia would have gotten 16mpg(maybe).
Glad business is good,thanks,Charlie
I am glad to hear all is well. If you need me, you have my numbers! Thanks again!

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Re: Finally bought-EX Pilot Gunn Honda-$26,995

brandon said:

[ S N I P P E D ]

We are fresh out of Pilots right now. We had a gentlemen just buy the last six we had for his business. He purchased all six and two Accords! (must be nice!)

[ S N I P P E D ]

W :eek: W!!! Some guy purchased SIX Pilots all at once...??? :) Did he say what kind of bizness he was in? Or would that be considered salesman/customer confidentiality?

P.S. Congrats on your new purchase, charlie!!!!! Glad you made the plunge -- I remember when you first joined honda-pilot.org!!!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kemosabe,thanks. Pilot made me a Hero with wife

Thanks Kemosabe.I have been lurking for quite a while,haven't I ?This car buying "search" started with the Highlander being the front runner,and went thru the 2004 Sienna(just couldn't buy it-I didn't want to have to look at a minivan for the next 5-8 years,and it is a bit long for city parking).I gave the Sequoia a long look,but I would have had to trade my Tundra in on it,and my wife didn't want another "tank". It was going to be her car.The ODYSSEY was a possibility,but it was so low; we have street flooding in New Orleans all the time.Besides, it is a minivan(my son is 17,and is driving; he was lobbying heavily for the Pilot,and against any minivan!)
I Just couldn't get away from the Pilot,even though I an biased toward Toyotas.I have had 7 Toyota's (all good)and just 1 Honda(good also).All the numbers(but mpg on the 4cyl High) favored the Pilot;the looks and expected reliability were a wash.It had the best combo of usable interior volume,reasonable length for city parking,and features for the $$.My EX cost $27k,an AWD V-6 Highlander would have cost $30K(not MSRP,but what I figured I could get it for),and it would have had much less cargoand passenger space.It is also a little slower,and 500 lbs lighter(so it isn't as crashworthy) even though the MPG's are about the same.
I am happy,and my wife is very happy that we finally have a suitable trip vehicle(we like to go to AZ for a week every summer).The Tundra back seat is a very bad joke for adult sized folks, and having someone ride in the bed under the cap with the dogs and luggage was just too dangerous to repeat.I am a happy man!Thanks for all the help - the info here was dead on-and Gunn Honda in San Antonio was mentioned here in one of the threads.It saved me $$,and the life shortening effect of 4-5 hours haggling with sharks,and being polite while putting up with their lame attempts to "trick" me into a crummy deal."Duh,do I have stupid written on my forehead?" Thanks,Charlie

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Finally bought-EX Pilot Gunn Honda-$26,995

kemosabe said:

W :eek: W!!! Some guy purchased SIX Pilots all at once...??? :) Did he say what kind of bizness he was in? Or would that be considered salesman/customer confidentiality?

P.S. Congrats on your new purchase, charlie!!!!! Glad you made the plunge -- I remember when you first joined honda-pilot.org!!!
I am not sure what he does for a living. Whatever it is, it must pay well! He wanted eight, but all we had in stock was six. So he decided to take the 6 and 2 accords. I might check to see if he is hiring. j/k!:D

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Finally bought-EX Pilot Gunn Honda-$26,995

brandon said:

I am not sure what he does for a living. Whatever it is, it must pay well! He wanted eight, but all we had in stock was six. So he decided to take the 6 and 2 accords. I might check to see if he is hiring. j/k!:D
brandon: If that gentleman bought all 6 of his vehicles from you, then your July end-of-the-month sales numbers will look pretty awesome!!! :7:

charlie: From what I've read so far, you've definitely done your homeowork -- I was (still am) in the same boat as your son: I told my wife that I refused to be caught dead behind the wheel of a minivan!! :D

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Finally bought-EX Pilot Gunn Honda-$26,995

kemosabe said:

I told my wife that I refused to be caught dead behind the wheel of a minivan!! :D
If she loves you she should have made sure you bought a mini-van. One less thing to worry about, knowing that you will never die while driving it. :p

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Florida-you'll be happy with the 2004

Florida_guy,you'll be very pleased with the 2004.I thought hard about waiting the extra 2 months,but having to pay about $1100 to rent a minivan for our trip,finally tipped the scales.If not for that,I would have waited.I will be a little jealous if the 2004 has side curtain airbags,but none of the other potential new features would interest me.You are hoping for some specific upgrade aren't you?Better sound system,or something of that nature?My hearing is shot,it would be wasted on me.I would expect that all the problem areas will be taken care of in the 2004 model.I hope they were taken care of by June 2003(my build date)!
The Pilot "feels" surprisingly like our Accord,so you'll feel right at home.The front seat is more comfortable.It allows your lower legs to drop straight down,rather than having to bend forward like the Accord.It also has a little more body roll in turns than the Accord,and the suspension is a bit cushier-not as sporting as the Accord-a good thing on long drives.All in all,it feels remarkably like a taller, heavier Accord.Luck,Charlie

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good luck Charlie!

Hi Charlie

Good to hear from you. I am glad that you got such a great deal. If I had known about Gunn Honda, I would have taken the trip down there to buy. HondaTown here was ok, but they did try all sorts of tricks. Just had to bite my lips and stick to my guns.

I hope you have a great summer trip. We recently took a trip to Gulfshores in Alabama, and loved the Pilot. It is really a very nice vehicle, atleast till now. Saw only about 4 Pilots for the entire journey, which was about 400 miles roundtrip. Makes you feel good about driving an exclusive vehicle. :D

A couple of friends recently bought Highlanders. The Limited Edition one with V6, leather, sideimpact airbags without AWD cost about $29k. The one with the 4Cylinder engine and just the basic stuff without AWD cost $26k. Suddenly it made me realize, what an incredible deal the Pilot is. No doubt someone with the needs bought all 6 from Brandon.

Have a great day.
Maji :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Honda town best local$28000 EX

Maji,you certainly got as good a deal as I did.I finally tried to make a deal with Honda town and through there internet guy-J Young,the fellow you dealt with,nice enough guy-they wanted $28000+ttl which worked out to about $30,650 for a Green EX that had been their for months(50,000 VIN).In person the salesperson wanted $26,000+ttl about $28,500 for a LX.They had no LX's in stock,so they wanted an extra $395 to find a LX plus the "usual" $480 "dealer prep".The assured me that "all dealers charge this"-BS.
I might have been able to get a couple of hundred off the LX,but I didn't sense any room on the green EX.Green was fine with me(but the price wasn't),but my wife didn't want green,so no point in haggling.
As you said in emails,Hondatown was the cheapest locally,by about $500 or so..
Gulfshores is really nice,and close-3 hours or less.Thanks,Charlie PS I will certainly tell everyone about Gunn-it isn't a bad trip back from NO-8.5 hours all I-10.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: Florida-you'll be happy with the 2004

charlie said:
You are hoping for some specific upgrade aren't you?Better sound system,or something of that nature?My hearing is shot,it would be wasted on me.I would expect that all the problem areas will be taken care of in the 2004 model.I hope they were taken care of by June 2003(my build date)!
No I'm not really hoping for any upgrades. I'm just hoping that they fix some of the problems. Even the 2003 vs. 2004 resale thing isn't a big issue to me because I plan to keep it a long time, of course no one knows what the future holds.

My current plan is to buy the cloth version. Get the Garmin StreetPilot NAV and if necessary and feasible upgrade the stereo system.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello, I sold Charlie his Pilot. I just wanted to say we have one EX Redrock 03 for 26,995, one EX-L Redrock 03 for 27,995, and one Sandstone EXL-RES 03 for 29,475. If anyone is interested, email me at [email protected]

Thanks!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I wish all of you bargin buyers would have a little sympathy and compassion for Pilot owners, such as me, who paid sticker price because we wanted ours when they were first introduced.

8 more post to go!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts