Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seems like days since I've seen a good oil filter debate, or even a bad one. For some odd reason this seems to make sense to me.

FilterMag Consumer Products | Engine Protection Since 1999 (shopfiltermag.com)

Maybe my meds just haven't kicked in yet today? But if the goal is to keep the filter elements from clogging up sooner than later, wouldn't trapping filter element clogging debris out on the inner surface of the oil filter can lengthen the filter's overall serviced span without sacrificing the filter element's normal efficiency? Oh, and not to mention their claim is "trapping" particles down to 1 micron. Hmmm. In the too-good-to-be-true department?

The only problem is if I get this thing, then I'll also feel obliged to get one of those oil filter giant can openers, then I'll feel obliged to actually open my used oil filters ... ech.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Most wear metals in modern engines are not magnetic. But if it catches anything that the filter doesn't it was worth it I guess.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most wear metals in modern engines are not magnetic. But if it catches anything that the filter doesn't it was worth it I guess.
Other than maybe aluminum pistons (which shouldn't be shedding) ... aren't most wear points steel? I wonder how much of what the filter filters are combustion byproducts (carbon et al ) and oxidized oil byproducts? Maybe magnets on the filter are a psychological benefit. I guess I should look up the prices to see if they're "worth it."

I have a bunch of really strong rare earth magnets I've accumulated over the years taking apart hard drives and destroying the heads/platters before disposing of them. Maybe I'll slap a couple of those on the oil filter and outside of the oil drain bolt and see what shows up next oil change. Guess I'll have to get one of those can opener things after all, or ask the Project Guy to test these things and let him do the work.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Other than maybe aluminum pistons (which shouldn't be shedding) ... aren't most wear points steel? I wonder how much of what the filter filters are combustion byproducts (carbon et al ) and oxidized oil byproducts? Maybe magnets on the filter are a psychological benefit. I guess I should look up the prices to see if they're "worth it."

I have a bunch of really strong rare earth magnets I've accumulated over the years taking apart hard drives and destroying the heads/platters before disposing of them. Maybe I'll slap a couple of those on the oil filter and outside of the oil drain bolt and see what shows up next oil change. Guess I'll have to get one of those can opener things after all, or ask the Project Guy to test these things and let him do the work.
Look at a blackstone lab test result and see how many of the items listed are magnetic and have appreciable quantities. Not everything is steel for many different reasons. I'm not a metallurgist but I understand some materials have benefits over steel in certain applications.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look at a blackstone lab test result and see how many of the items listed are magnetic and have appreciable quantities. Not everything is steel for many different reasons. I'm not a metallurgist but I understand some materials have benefits over steel in certain applications.
Now that you mention it, I do recall ordering some con rod bearing sleeves made out of bronze or something like it on a Chevy engine I rebuilt eons ago.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
I really don't see a need for this product on an engine.
I do see the benefit of having a magnet filter on the transmission. I'm using Wix/Filtran 58953 as a substitute for Honda OEM on my 3rd gen.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
61 Posts
Since I purchased my '11 Pilot last year, I have always been the one to do my own oil changes and I actually have extremely powerful magnets covered with duct tape on one side. The magnets are wrapped around the oil filter. I had seen it done before so I was curious and opened a filter. I saw tiny pieces of metal being held by the magnet on the inside. So safe to say you would expect that the filter should stop those shards but you never know if with the oil pressure something gets pushed through. I feel better having the magnets wrapped around the filter.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (J35A9)
134 Posts
I've got a few old hard drives magnets on each my oil filters. I plan to cut one of them to see what it caught. Other sites, like BITOG, folks have posted images and it indeed caught lots of metalic deposits as evidenced by the cutting of the oil filter. My guess is that the strength of the magnet is the key here.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
61 Posts
I've got a few old hard drives magnets on each my oil filters. I plan to cut one of them to see what it caught. Other sites, like BITOG, folks have posted images and it indeed caught lots of metalic deposits as evidenced by the cutting of the oil filter. My guess is that the strength of the magnet is the key here.
Yeah, the strength is important. Obviously, if the magnets are strong it is more likely to capture particles in the filter as it's moving through the filter at very fast speeds. I am using magnets that are thin sticks wrapping around the filter using duct tape to keep them covered from the elements.
If you are planning on cutting the filter you might have to leave the magnets on the filter so they aren't dripping out.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,857 Posts
Why stop there?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since I purchased my '11 Pilot last year, I have always been the one to do my own oil changes and I actually have extremely powerful magnets covered with duct tape on one side. The magnets are wrapped around the oil filter. I had seen it done before so I was curious and opened a filter. I saw tiny pieces of metal being held by the magnet on the inside. So safe to say you would expect that the filter should stop those shards but you never know if with the oil pressure something gets pushed through. I feel better having the magnets wrapped around the filter.
Interesting, thanks for sharing. When you say "tiny pieces of metal" and "something gets pushed through" ... how small would you say they are? Less than 20 microns? (a somewhat rhetorical question as that's near the limit of what can be seen)

My interest in these oil filter magnets is to determine if they could possibly extend the life of the filter element by keeping the really small stuff against the wall of the inside of the can and away from the filter element which is what clogs it up. In their ad they claim the magnets capture particles as small as 1 micron. So, I'm wondering how much 1 micron sized metal particles would be floating around in the engine oil and would it show up as a layer of oily paste on the inside surface of the filter can similar to the fine metallic clutch friction material covering the magnet of the transmission drain plug magnet. I realize engines don't have metallic friction clutches wearing away, but obviously there are metal parts wearing away in there.

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
61 Posts
Well next time you change your oil take an earth magnet and throw it into the oil. Pass it through the oil shit for shits and giggles then remove the magnets out of the oil. Anything particle that are attached to it are floating through the oil.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I'm not an engine Doctor, but that seems incorrect.
How so? Modern engines run roller cams and don't shed metal unless there is a serious problem. These aren't old school pushrod engines with flat tappet cams and everything in them is iron and they were designed to run loose. Additionally oil filters and the filtration system has come a long way since those days.

At the end of the day, it's your money and if it makes you sleep better I have no issue with it but I don't see any evidence based reason for it.

Before posting this I did a quick search on bob is the oil guy about this subject, the concept didn't get ringing endorsements over there.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
61 Posts
How so? Modern engines run roller cams and don't shed metal unless there is a serious problem. These aren't old school pushrod engines with flat tappet cams and everything in them is iron and they were designed to run loose. Additionally oil filters and the filtration system has come a long way since those days.

At the end of the day, it's your money and if it makes you sleep better I have no issue with it but I don't see any evidence based reason for it.

Before posting this I did a quick search on bob is the oil guy about this subject, the concept didn't get ringing endorsements over there.
Okay if you trust those $5 Fram filters go ahead.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
Why stop there?

That was a GREAT article! Objective tests! Interesting that some of the devices Lost 10-20% peak HP!
It explained things well, was nothing really new for me, but great explanations never the less.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
No, but I DO trust my $3 Super Tech filters.- they've held up in comparison tests well- change them every earl change.
They were made by Wix, now made by Champion.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well next time you change your oil take an earth magnet and throw it into the oil. Pass it through the oil shit for shits and giggles then remove the magnets out of the oil. Anything particle that are attached to it are floating through the oil.
By that time it's too late ... hopefully the filter has most of it. I was wondering if magnets around the filter would keep the fine sludge (if magnetic) out of the filter element, making it last longer. If what I think of as engine "sludge" is mostly fine carbon particles from blowby or decomposed oil, then I'm wondering what their magnets are attracting.....? As far as the small pieces of metal found in the cut open filter ... sounds more like something coming apart than wear... magnets won't help.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I'm not sure where we started talking about filter brands, but yes, I do trust my M1 filter to catch particles large enough to damage my engine. Served me well so far.

By that time it's too late ... hopefully the filter has most of it. I was wondering if magnets around the filter would keep the fine sludge (if magnetic) out of the filter element, making it last longer. If what I think of as engine "sludge" is mostly fine carbon particles from blowby or decomposed oil, then I'm wondering what their magnets are attracting.....? As far as the small pieces of metal found in the cut open filter ... sounds more like something coming apart than wear... magnets won't help.
Which has been my argument the whole time. These aren't old pushrod engines where everything is iron and steel, materials engineering has come a LONG way and there are many different materials used in wear areas on modern engines.

This is a good thread but I feel like some users are resorting to making it an opinion pissing match rather than providing facts to substantiate their claims.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm not sure where we started talking about filter brands, but yes, I do trust my M1 filter to catch particles large enough to damage my engine. Served me well so far.

Which has been my argument the whole time. These aren't old pushrod engines where everything is iron and steel, materials engineering has come a LONG way and there are many different materials used in wear areas on modern engines.

This is a good thread but I feel like some users are resorting to making it an opinion pissing match rather than providing facts to substantiate their claims.
Well I guess there's two ways to find out. Buy and try the commercial magnets, or just tape the ones I took out of hard drives on the filter I just changed a few weeks ago. Either way I'll probably have to get one of those overgrown pipe cutters. Or resort to a cutoff wheel on my angle grinder.

Wife: "Hey honey, why are there black specs all over the garage ceiling?"
Me: "Spider eggs maybe?"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts