Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions for removing a film from my inside wind shield? I have tried windex wipes and other products but I have major streaks! Yuck!

·
Registered
261 Posts
The film is caused by the cloth seats in a hot environment.
Alcohol works and I have had luck just using a dry towel also.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
KathySC said:
Does anyone have any suggestions for removing a film from my inside wind shield?
what film????:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Re: Film on inside glass

ramirami said:
what film????:confused: :confused:
It's a residue left from a vapor emitted by the plastics. That new car smell, created by the gases being emitted from the plastic, leaves a residue on the windshield. I use Stoners Invisible Glass cleaner and a microfiber towel to clean the inside and outside of the glass.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The film is rumored to be caused by outgassing plastic products in the car. It look a little like the film caused by cigarette smoke... Anyway, it doesn't matter much where it came from...

1. To remove it, clean the inside windows with a product called "Invisible Glass" made by a company called Stoner. Clean the windows 2 or 3 times and it will be gone. That stuff really works...

2. When the Pilot is at home in the garage, keep the windows cracked open a few inches...... I've been trying this and I think it might be helping to reduce the outgas film. Sad part is, that is what your new car smell is, so, when the new car smell is gone, the film accumulation should drop to a negligible level.... If you really want to be frightened, google 'outgassing plastic' and read the scary names of the compounds that are in that 'new car smell'!!

Just my opinion, and no, I don't work for Stoner... (But I kinda wish I did... I'd have the coolest busness cards...)

·
Registered
277 Posts
jay, this is the second time we've done this! Since when are we sharing a brain!?!?!?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
No particular brand recommendations, but alcohol based window cleaners seem to work better thna amonia based cleaners on this.
Strait rubbing alcohol probably works, but as it eveporates it tends to redeposit the fiim.
News paper or very absorbant terry towels seem to be the best material for this task. The ink from the news print seems to prevent the film from redepositing on the glass.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'm with Jay too. STONER'S ROCKS!!!!:18:

I use it on our auto glass, and it also does a GREAT job in the house on things like mirrors and glass tables.

It's an AWESOME product! (I just bought a case of it from thier web site!) Use it with a good microfiber towel, and you'll be amazed how clean the glass can be!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I was told not to use ammonia based cleaners on aftermarket window tinting like I had done on the front side windows. Makes the tint turn purple and streaky. Factory tinting is supposedly fine because the tinting is inside the window, not a coating.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
RSeery said:
... If you really want to be frightened, google 'outgassing plastic' and read the scary names of the compounds that are in that 'new car smell'!!
That's why I buy nothing but new cars. I don't want a car where someone farted on the seats before me. No, there's nothing I can do about the factory workers, transporters, or dealer. I'm talkin' sustained, recurring, protracted, years-on-end, foggin-up-the-windows flatulence.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
krygny said:
That's why I buy nothing but new cars. I don't want a car where someone farted on the seats before me. No, there's nothing I can do about the factory workers, transporters, or dealer. I'm talkin' sustained, recurring, protracted, years-on-end, foggin-up-the-windows flatulence.
:moon: Too funny! :19:

·
Registered
101 Posts
KathySC said:
Does anyone have any suggestions for removing a film from my inside wind shield? I have tried windex wipes and other products but I have major streaks! Yuck!
Try some auto glass cleaner from an auto parts store. Also, use soft cotton towels to clean it. I use old bath towels for this. And if you can, avoid using fabric softener on the towels yo use to clean the car glass - it just keeps it all cleaner.

Windex was sorry for cleaning the glass. The film and streaks came back within 3-4 days. Using a good cleaner makes a BIG difference. Also, keep your windows cracked whenever you can. It helps prevent the outgassing of the plastic and cloths from messing up the glass so quickly.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Based on recommendations in this thread, I bought some Stoner's Invisible Glass and tried it yesterday. WOW! I'll never go back to Windex for my car windows! Thanks for the great tip.:4: :4: :4:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
We've got three bottles of Windex ROTTING in our laundry room. Now that we've found Stoners, we don't want to use Windex on anything!:D

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
a2Pilot said:
We've got three bottles of Windex ROTTING in our laundry room. Now that we've found Stoners, we don't want to use Windex on anything!:D
This guy loves that blue Windex stuff -- maybe you can sell your 3 leftover bottles to him, a2Pilot!!! :2: :2: :2:

P.S. You would only understand the attempted humor by my comment if you saw the movie, "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"... :p

Attachments

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Where do you get Stoner's? Do they carry it at places like AutoZone, Target, etc?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Titans Fan said:
Where do you get Stoner's? Do they carry it at places like AutoZone, Target, etc?
I know they carry it at Advance Auto Parts and Pep Boys.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Buy Direct! It's even cheaper by the case, and free shipping too!

http://www.stonersolutions.com/

It works out to $2.74 per can when you buy a case of 12 cans.

:D

·
Registered
496 Posts
Titans Fan said:
I found it at Kragen's.

kad

1 - 20 of 30 Posts