Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I promised to keep all up to date regarding my Pilot. This was also posted in the "Pilot dead" thread, but not directly related to the recall so will re-post . After many faithful years, I now have a completely new and different perspective regarding American Honda and Honda products. I will begin to post my letters to my dealer and to Honda Customer Service, possibly after this weekend. My Pilot has had a transmission and all bearnings replaced to eliminate a left front vibration and corresponding noise. I left it with the dealer last Saturday and will (hopefully) pick it up this Friday. A Honda field engineer spent time with the vehicle on Tuesday. I was not allowed to communicate with the engineer other than through sending a letter to the customer service representative who forwarded it. They are evidently replacing the left front hub assembly. The door gasket noise, rear suspension noise (my mother-in-law asked me what it was) and the brake booster noise were not considered problems worthy of addressing. I have a bigger problem. American Honda authorized the rental of a car for the week. I know that I will be shot at for this, but this car does what it is supposed to do and does it in an impressive manner and guess what? It is a Chevy Impala. Dull? Maybe, but close to perfection in execution. My Pilot has not come close the build quality of my previous 2002 Trailblazer. The Pilot is my fifth (actually sixth counting Acura) Honda (new) purchase in five years. It likely will be my last. The district representative basically told me that the vehicle was fine and my only option was to work with the dealer. I am mad, but mostly at myself for being so foolish to think that the value of past and future business would ensure my satisfaction if I encountered a problem. You see, I can now only assume that loyality is not a factor with Honda. It is not wrong to expect more. American Honda leaves the decision to the dealer and we generally have no control over the action. I do however have control over one thing, my next purchase decision. Thanks to all who have been interested and I hope that all of you that are pleased with your vehicle, continue to be so. It is really a great concept. I will let you know dealer reaction and the success relating to the one problem addressed once the vehicle is back in my hands. Thanks, BP

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
BP ... That's too sad ... I sorry things didn't turn out better ... hope you find a vehicle that will bring you happiness and peace of mind ...

PrG

·
Registered
486 Posts
Curious, what's your build number? (last 5 VIN digits)

I'm amazed that Honda CS isn't doing better with you on this. I had an annoying exhuast buzz @ 1500rpm on my '96 Accord Coupe and I couldn't believe the hoops Honda was jumping through to help me. So much so, that they MADE a custom exhaust transition in cooperation with the dealer to see if it fixed the problem. It did and they sent me a letter thanking me for working with them on this problem. I may have been a guinea pig for others but they just of easily could have blown me off. Now the regional rep here back then was a very cool guy and that may have been all the difference.

I recommend you speak with the Regional Service Manager and go progressively up the food chain. If you have a legitimate beef I would like to think they'd take care of you. I'm sorry for Honda and us loyalists when something like this happens but I certainly understand your disappointment.

·
Registered
162 Posts
BP--I feel very badly about the frustrating experience that you are having with your Pilot, especially one that you have spent over $30,000. for and has received such great "buzz" both before and after its introduction to the public.

I guess I don't understand what is happening with Honda and its dealers in general, no offense to "hubby45251", who I am sure is a very fine and upstanding salesman, but he seems to be more the exception than the rule.

Maybe I am getting cynical about corporate America these days what with everything going on, but doesn't anyone care about customer service or customer satisfaction these days? All corporate America seems to be concerned about is the bottom line!:3: :3: Why does Honda or other corporations goes through the motions of having customer surveys or going through the time and expense of having a field engineer come for a visit and not follow through?

Sorry for the rant, but I think it is shameful that you are going through this and I think maybe you should consider contacting your state's Attorney General's Office of Consumer Affairs and report your dealer for their failure to correct these problems. It is a brand new car, after all.

We have a Lemon Law here in Massachusetts, maybe you have something similar in Mississippi.

Continue to keep us updated. We are all here to support you.:)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Quite a difference...

WOW it seems like MDXlite had a GREAT experience, and sure seems like a thing of the past...

I wonder if things have changed that much within AHMC or whether there are different factors at work?

I have to admit I am quite UNIMPRESSED with Honda & Acura dealers. Don't they realize that with Honda ( and even Lexus)advertising BLOWOUT pricing on end of year models people KNOW that Hondas simply are NOT 100% selling for MSRP! I mean HELLO there has been NO ANNOUNCEMENT that "Honda joins Saturn in adopting no haggle pricing"... Of course I will not be happy to pay MSRP and then find out others are paying far less. At least most other dealers are up front that they are willing to negotiate, but the MSRP & UP pricing is not for me...

Throw in the horror stories of brand new Pilots destroying their own timing BELTS and dealers SHRUGGING, transmissions FAILING and dealers SHRUGGING, bizare vibrations requiring replace of bearings and dealers & ZONE REPS SHRUGGING and one really begins to wonder how far AHMC has fallen from being a place that would CUSTOM FABRICATE an exhaust piece JUST FOR NOISE!!!

Now, I'm sure that MOST Honda vehicles are built very well, but the treatment that I'm hearing about what happens when there is a problem is very very troubling...

There was news that AHMC is sending out a "road show" of executive to dealers in order to preach the virtures of 'customer SATISFACTION" -- I say IT'S OVER DUE! In fact, if anybody has details about the "executives on a mission" PLEASE share them here, as I won't be back in the Honda (or Acura) dealerships until AFTER the brass gives these cowboys some 'old time religion' ;)

·
Registered
389 Posts
BPilot said:
I promised to keep all up to date regarding my Pilot. This was also posted in the "Pilot dead" thread, but not directly related to the recall so will re-post . After many faithful years, I now have a completely new and different perspective regarding American Honda and Honda products. I will begin to post my letters to my dealer and to Honda Customer Service, possibly after this weekend. My Pilot has had a transmission and all bearnings replaced to eliminate a left front vibration and corresponding noise.BP
BP,
Was the transmission replacement due to noise or to the Pilot shifting from 5th to 2nd? Just like mentioned on this thread.

http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1176&highlight=transmission

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update on my situation

First, Thanks to all for the support. As time goes on, you get worn down and sometimes too tired to fight. All should learn from my experience. This is what disappoints me most. Looking back, I can count the ownership of at least fifteen Honda vehicles. Six new ones purchased since 1996. Seven counting an XR400. Warped brake rotors were the most serious issue with any of these vehicles so I believe it can not be said that I am a problem customer. I never demand, I ask. By the way, five of the six new ones from the same dealer. American Honda says that my case is closed and while they appreciate my business, they do not take cars back (dealers do) and all future discussions must be with the dealer. Basically, they are grateful for my past business, but they have plenty and what I do in the future is my decision. I contacted my dealer today and most politely and professionally asked" What were my options?" They will get back to me by Friday PM. I challenge anyone to say that my past business has produced any significant value. This actually hurts. It makes me want to burn my Honda hat. I have been disappointed in my Pilot. Road noise from day one has been the major issue. The transmission was replaced in an effort to resolve the front end noise, not the scary issue now discussed in other threads. After three months and 7000 miles, that issue was corrected by the field engineer visit. The rear suspension rattle, door noise, and brake booster all are still most irritating. Honda says they are not aware of a problem with the door gaskets and the suspension and brake booster noise are NORMAL. This is like a good looking girl with bad breath. Each time they keep it, I end up needing to go back for things like the front end not being re-aligned after the repair. Now the vehicle is pulling to the right after the last visit. I really like the vehicle and concept, the execution on mine was poor. If I buy another Honda, it will be with a much different prespective. BP

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: Update on my situation

BPilot, I truly sorry for what you're going through. You seem to be taking this much better than I ever could in a situation like this. I can't believe Honda has closed their case and are passing the buck to the dealer.

I hope somehow all will work out for you in the end.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear about all your problems with your Pilot. I hope something good happens for you.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Bill, you might want to check with a lawyer to find out if your state has a lemon law.

Don't give up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts