Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2021 AWD Touring
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all ... wondering which areas of the vehicle make sense to get a clear bra for?

I've read most of the folks choose 18" hood and behind the mirrors.
What about the bumper, other areas please? Headlights?
Which areas are vulnerable to chipping, pitting, etc.?

Any input on brands, I've read about a few, and read about 3M yellowing issues, but that's been generally in older posts from 4+ years back.
Has 3M quality improved since, or is yellowing, cracking still a common issue?

I'm also considering getting a seat cover for the front seats, ideally matching for all seats.
I have not seen any covers for the front seats due to air bag deployment issues, but is there anything available to cover just the seat bottom (the most likely area susceptible to spills, drops, stains).

You input would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
You had me at 'Clear Bra'

·
Registered
64 Posts
I did the whole front end with full coverage. But i did it myself so that save me alot. Most clear bra have improve over the years to where there no yellowing. If a shops doing it may come with 7-10yr warranty against yellowing, peeling and bubbling. Xpel and Stek are among some good film i've heard of. But as it always said it not too much about the film but more about the installer. You can have the best film with a bad installer done crappy. Or best installer with a decent film and it come out great.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot EX-L
7 Posts
Hello all. This is my first post here. This looks like a good place to share and receive info. Thanks for allowing me to join.

As far as clear bra goes, XPEL Ultimate Plus PPF is a great brand. I just installed the 10mil on my new 2020 Pilot. I went with full front coverage which includes hood, bumper, fenders, head lights, fog lights and mirror caps. I also covered the luggage area of the rear bumper. The door edges and door cups were done at the dealership, in which they tried to stiff me for $600. I will eventually do the rest of the car when time permits.

Another great brand is Nano-Fusion. Their product is as clear as XPEL. I would stay away from 3M. Their PPF yellows and looks orange peeled.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I too went with XPEL clear wrap for full front coverage as well as the luggage area of the rear bumper.

We intend to put much more than the average millage on this vehicle, mostly highway miles, and I could just see the inevitable nicks and chips that are bound to occur with lots of highway miles.

I've put about 7K miles on it since install of the XPEL and I'm happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
64 Posts
When you two say full coverage did you wrap all around full hood/fenders with the bumper with no visible lines? Other wise it partial coverage at $600 price point. Full wrap will run into $1500 -2500 range depending on the ppf you choose. That why I did it all my self by buying a full 60”x54” roll .

·
Registered
2021 AWD Touring
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks a bunch for your responses!

I'll call around tomorrow, but is there a huge cost difference (I'm getting it installed, not doing it myself) between XPEL Ultimate Plus PPF and other branded films, such as 3M?

·
Registered
111 Posts
When you two say full coverage did you wrap all around full hood/fenders with the bumper with no visible lines? Other wise it partial coverage at $600 price point. Full wrap will run into $1500 -2500 range depending on the ppf you choose. That why I did it all my self by buying a full 60”x54” roll . View attachment 144140

Yes, just as you have described: hood, bumper, fenders, head lights, fog lights and mirror caps. I also covered the luggage area of the rear bumper.

If you look just a few inches away, very closely, you can see the line of the wrap. The guy who did mine has years of experience with wraps and he received specialized training form XPEL.

I'm very happy with it,.... But in fairness, don't expect a superior finish than the original factory paint had. (I'm a bit of a stickler with my hot rod/sports cars and factory finishes, in my opinion, are nothing to write home about.)

The clear wrap is prevent road chips and I believe it does that quite well.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Greetings all ... wondering which areas of the vehicle make sense to get a clear bra for?

I've read most of the folks choose 18" hood and behind the mirrors.
What about the bumper, other areas please? Headlights?
Which areas are vulnerable to chipping, pitting, etc.?

Any input on brands, I've read about a few, and read about 3M yellowing issues, but that's been generally in older posts from 4+ years back.
Has 3M quality improved since, or is yellowing, cracking still a common issue?

I'm also considering getting a seat cover for the front seats, ideally matching for all seats.
I have not seen any covers for the front seats due to air bag deployment issues, but is there anything available to cover just the seat bottom (the most likely area susceptible to spills, drops, stains).

You input would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks!

Might want to think about Ceramic Coating the paint before you have it wrapped

·
Registered
180 Posts
I don't understand why you would pay up to $2500 to put clear wrap on your car that will not look as good as the factory finish only to prevent possible paint chips that it would cost less than $2500 to fix.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot EX-L
7 Posts
You DON'T want to ceramic coat before you PPF. You want the PPF to stick to your paint. Ceramic coat after.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot EX-L
7 Posts
I would stay away from 3M. It yellows and has an orange peel look.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I don't understand why you would pay up to $2500 to put clear wrap on your car that will not look as good as the factory finish only to prevent possible paint chips that it would cost less than $2500 to fix.
From what I understand and my printing company does digital printing for car and truck wraps.....the protection is very highly exaggerated.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot EX-L
7 Posts
From what I understand and my printing company does digital printing for car and truck wraps.....the protection is very highly exaggerated.
It's all personal preference. Plus, you'd be surprised on the amount of protection it actually gives.

Reactions: 2017EX-L

·
Registered
111 Posts
Of course you are entitled to your opinion, as is Jicafold* in post #11. Moreover, your opinion is no less valid or important than anyone else's, including mine. But just as your opinion is no less valid than anyone else's, that means that your opinion is also no more valid either,....

That being said my opinion is that your understanding that the protection of XPEL wrap is "Very highly exaggerated" is incorrect.

I'm not going to write a long response to try to convince you but I am going to explain why I chose to wrap the front of my Pilot that will be doing a lot of highway miles.

A close friend who is much more of an auto enthusiast than myself, and has the income to support it, drives from Portland, Oregon to Monterey CA. for the Monterey Car Week and Pebble Beach Councours D'Elegance yearly to support his auto addiction.

Three years ago he drove his R8 Audi,...........Took pictures in documentation of the number(s) of road and rock chips. Bottom line is that I was amazed at the number of rock and road chips that he got on that beautiful new Audi R8.

* Jicafold, rest assured the cost to have the damage to the R8 repaired was about 3 times the expense of having the XPEL wrap installed with no discount at all.

Well, in 2019, after the R8 owner had the rock and road chips repaired and had the front of the car wrapped in XPEL, He made the same round trip drove and the car was clean as could be after the trip. I witnessed the results myself,...........What few marks that were left after a good washing he was able to work out individually. I found the protection the XPEL wrap remarkable.

That is why I had the front of my Pilot wrapped. And, after three 1200 mile round trips from Portland, Oregon to Las Vegas, Nevada I have had the same fantastic results that my neighbor with the R8 Audi had.

That is my opinion and my experience.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Might want to think about Ceramic Coating the paint before you have it wrapped

All installer will tell you no and they would have to polish it out for the PPF to stick cause over time it might pill off and cost you again. Only ceramic coat if you plan to not use PPF on the paint or on top of the PPF.

To some people it worth it and to other it not. Some see it as added value when it time to sell as well as saying it original paint vs being resprayed. As i stated i did mine myself i like the learning process which i carried over to now doing my lexus as well.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot EX-L
7 Posts

Printed and perforated vinyls are not the same as 8 and 10 mil polyurethane paint protection films. Worlds apart.

Reactions: 2017EX-L

·
Registered
433 Posts
I've got the 3m on both my vehicles. And they were pre ceramic coated. So far the are just as shiny as the paint. 2yrs on 1 car. 1 year on the pilot. I keep them clean and put on a coating of jetseal periodically. There are also ceramic coatings for wraps now. I do 120 miles round trip daily on my other car. Florida bugs still wipe off with no problem.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I've got the 3m on both my vehicles. And they were pre ceramic coated. So far the are just as shiny as the paint. 2yrs on 1 car. 1 year on the pilot. I keep them clean and put on a coating of jetseal periodically. There are also ceramic coatings for wraps now. I do 120 miles round trip daily on my other car. Florida bugs still wipe off with no problem.
Egads, 120 miles a day? Don't you have to buy new cars before the paint wears out?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts