Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help with my 2005 EXL with 128k miles. Two years ago the radiator went and the engine overheated. In the process the heads warped. Replaced the radiator and had the heads sent out to be shaved and rebuilt by a reputable shop. Reinstalled heads and being that everything was apart I also replaced water pump, idler kit, belts, plugs, wires and fuel injectors. Since reassembly I have been getting check engine light with P171 and P174 fault codes along with VTM light. I had to bite the bullet and take the car to my local Honda dealer being that i can't get through New jersey inspection. The dealer adjusted valves. Performed leak down test, compression test (240 psi), timing, fuel system test, intake leak test. Still coming up P171 and P174. All at a cost of $700. They now claim it could be faulty injectors, bad computer or lastly they want to pull the heads at an estimated cost of $2k. They meant well but I can't or don't thinks its worth throwing that much more $ at it. At this point my only options are to either figure it out on my own or part it out of which I would rather not do. Crazy thing is its running great.. Bad computer maybe throwing faulty codes??? Any guidance or insight would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looking for some help with my 2005 EXL with 128k miles. Two years ago the radiator went and the engine overheated. In the process the heads warped. Replaced the radiator and had the heads sent out to be shaved and rebuilt by a reputable shop. Reinstalled heads and being that everything was apart I also replaced water pump, idler kit, belts, plugs, wires and fuel injectors. Since reassembly I have been getting check engine light with P171 and P174 fault codes along with VTM light. I had to bite the bullet and take the car to my local Honda dealer being that i can't get through New jersey inspection. The dealer adjusted valves. Performed leak down test, compression test (240 psi), timing, fuel system test, intake leak test. Still coming up P171 and P174. All at a cost of $700. They now claim it could be faulty injectors, bad computer or lastly they want to pull the heads at an estimated cost of $2k. They meant well but I can't or don't thinks its worth throwing that much more $ at it. At this point my only options are to either figure it out on my own or part it out of which I would rather not do. Crazy thing is its running great.. Bad computer maybe throwing faulty codes??? Any guidance or insight would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
Forgot to mention also installed aftermarket fuel injectors during rebuild

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,292 Posts
Forgot to mention also installed aftermarket fuel injectors during rebuild
Ah, that's one of the things, along with sensors, you want to go OEM for.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,292 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts