Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Fast but heavy.

4K views 53 replies 18 participants last post by  cintocrunch 
#1 ·
Hi all, Two weeks ago I purchased a 2017 ex-l with 50,000 on it. My first suv, as I usually own/drive five speed four bangers. I would say that it seems adequately powered but could use just a few more horses. My question is that when driving I would say that between 40-65 isn’t that eventful. However, 70 and over it’s a rocket. Do you guys drive these that fast? It doesn’t seem happy unless it’s rolling like it’s on fire. It’s a lot of weight and since I’m used to small cars it feels unnatural to drive that fast considering the size/weight/rollover possibility. This especially considering the mechanical setup of the all wheel drive. A lot of metal spinning. Even the shifts are super clean under a heavier load. Thoughts?

#2 ·
I have a 2017 model with the 9-speed transmission and it feels quick throughout the range, if you gun it. The shorter gears allow for a slightly better leverage of the engine’s power band.

It most definitely is heavy, but not overly heavy compared to other SUVs. I can feel the impact on performance when I have four people in the car, and even having just one passenger vs. none is slightly noticeable during spirited takeoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
It's exactly as you've stated. The engine seems to be governed to improve fuel economy. For that reason my econ button stays off.
I would also caution you on a known issue on these, the VCM, most noticeable at lower speeds. The VCM operation can create a shudder condition in the transmission. I recommend using a device to disable it. I use S-VCM. This keeps the engine running on all 6 cylinders. If you plan on using Honda DW-1 ATF, change this non full synthetic fluid often. An eradic behaving rpm gauge while in cruise is a symtom. This can lead to transmission failure if not solved.
IMO, The handling on this 4200lb vehicle is hampered by light weight touring tires. It's especially noticeable at high speed. My OE Bridgestone Dueler Sports could not handle a 70mph curve without rolling over on the sidewalls. I've recently had installed a set of Sumitomo HTR AS P02 High Performance tires that I can safely inflate to 38psi cold. I can actually hold a curve without freeking out. This is a heavier tire with a higher max inflation value. It will take away some of your fuel economy, But I feel much safer on the interstate at 75mph.

#6 ·
IMO, The handling on this 4200lb vehicle is hampered by light weight touring tires. It's especially noticeable at high speed. My OE Bridgestone Dueler Sports could not handle a 70mph curve without rolling over on the sidewalls. I've recently had installed a set of Sumitomo HTR AS P02 High Performance tires that I can safely inflate to 38psi cold. I can actually hold a curve without freeking out. This is a heavier tire with a higher max inflation value. It will take away some of your fuel economy, But I feel much safer on the interstate at 75mph.
Why can't the OE Bridgestone tires be "safely inflated to 38psi cold"? They have a maximum rating of 44 psi.

According to a comparison test by Tire Rack, "Dueler H/P Sport AS had the best overall handling with direct steering response and a reassuring and connected feel in the steering wheel as the vehicle moved in direct proportion to driver inputs." Also, "On the track in dry conditions the Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport AS brought its quick steering response found on the road, and also felt the most predictable and stable during the abrupt maneuvers of our course. In wet conditions the rank order was the same, but the differences between the tires was more apparent. The Dueler H/P Sport AS again led the group by a noticeable margin, displaying its characteristic direct steering response and very good overall traction." In summary "The Bridgestone Dueler H/P Sport AS delivers sporty handling along with very good dry and wet traction."

In another TireRack comparison test, the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 came in third behind the Kumho Ecsta PA31 and the Firestone Firehawk AS. The summary comment was that "Sumitomo's HTR A/S P02 presented itself well, but didn't demonstrate any significantly positive or negative standout traits."

#22 · (Edited)
Speed and Honda soccer mom Pilot don't belong in the same sentence. It's like Military Intelligence. There is just something wrong with the basic concept. :D

Speed is a 1972 Dodge Charger Rally with a stroked, bored and blueprinted 426 Hemi bolted to a Chance 5 speed transmission and sure grip rear end.

And yes to the hard core muscle car motörhead's, the 426 production ended in 1971, but then Dodge never put chance transmission in their vehicles either. It would however fit nicely under the hood of the 72 charger replacing a lower compression, reduced HP engines available in 1972.

It would also get you into trouble with the power and speed it could generate. The Pilot speedometer only goes up to 140 which was just cruising speed for my green speed machine.

#24 · (Edited)
Speed and Honda soccer mom Pilot don't belong in the same sentence. It's like Military Intelligence. There is just something wrong with the basic concept. :D

Speed is a 1972 Dodge Charger Rally with a stroked, bored and blueprinted 426 Hemi bolted to a Chance 5 speed transmission and sure grip rear end.

And yes to the hard core muscle car motörhead's, the 426 production ended in 1971, but then Dodge never put chance transmission in their vehicles either. It would however fit nicely under the hood of the 72 charger replacing a lower compression, reduced HP engines available in 1972.

It would also get you into trouble with the power and speed it could generate. The Pilot speedometer only goes up to 140 which was just cruising speed for my green speed machine.
I'm not buying it.
A lot of things (including tires) are tweaked on a vehicle in the name of fuel efficiency. Auto makers have figured out that by lightening up your tires you can gain some milage. These so called touring tires will get you killed if you inflate to 32psi in a loaded Pilot. They don't corner well and even rolling over on the sidewalls. They dont respond well in an emergency, like if a dog were to run out in front of you, or heaven forbid a child. Now with High Performance tires, my Pilot drives great at 75mph. I'm now passing instead of being passed. And I'm not having to let off the gas to corner at any speed. I don't think I'm at Daytona, but I know I'm safer on this tire than I was.

#35 ·
I understand the science and reasoning behind discussing scrub radius... but in practice I've never felt any of the "negative impacts" on my vehicles, even those that I did this install for performance reasons. It's good to research and keep in mind but it's been a nonissue for me.

The wheel spacers that do not use their own lugs are the ones that gave all wheels spacers a bad reputation as well as improper installation. I’ve used quality hub-centric wheel spacers and recheck the torque during tire rotations without issue. It’s important that the wheel spacers are installed correctly and to remove any OEM clips that are used during assembly. View attachment 137539 View attachment 137540
I agree the "spacers" were much more dangerous than the "adapters". You did bring up something very important, "HUB CENTRIC" is critical for use on vehicles that rely on a hub centric wheel rather than lug centric.

Reactions: aggrex
#37 ·
I bought my 2005 Pilot EX-L new and have 218,000 miles on it. We've done quite of few drives across north America, including Canada and Colorado mountains.

We live in Florida and usually drive just below 80 in Florida. But in western states with higher speed limits we've done 90 for hours on limited access roads. This V6 is sweet and the suspension is up to the task.
With all this high speed driving we've never used an ounce of oil. Absolutely no engine or transmission issues either. We have run a good set of Michelen tires from new (I had them installed when new), and I check tire air regularly. Note this vehicle can be pushed on winding roads, the handling is good.

My other vehicles are an Acura Legend Coupe and Z06 Corvette.
Drive on.

#40 ·
Yes, of course we drive SUVs on interstate at interstate (sometimes a bit more) speeds. The Honda Pilot handles this speed just fine. However, it's a different vehicle than your sedans so it does have different attributes and handles differently. Only you can evaluate whether a SUV and the Honda Pilot particularly is a fit for your needs.

It's exactly as you've stated. The engine seems to be governed to improve fuel economy. For that reason my econ button stays off.
The Econ button is no magic button. It just prevents one to accelerate too aggressively. You easily can have the same driving experience and efficiency by not being lead footed. There isn't any difference with the Econ button on or off at highway and interstate speeds.

#41 ·
Yes, of course we drive SUVs on interstate at interstate (sometimes a bit more) speeds. The Honda Pilot handles this speed just fine. However, it's a different vehicle than your sedans so it does have different attributes and handles differently. Only you can evaluate whether a SUV and the Honda Pilot particularly is a fit for your needs.

The Econ button is no magic button. It just prevents one to accelerate too aggressively. You easily can have the same driving experience and efficiency by not being lead footed. There isn't any difference with the Econ button on or off at highway and interstate speeds.
The econ button will get you killed trying to get up on the interstate with a 75mph speed limit. Without the Econ, this engine is still being held back in the Pilot. My 2012 V6 Crosstour accelerates much faster if I floor it. There is no reason the Pilot couldn't do the same if it wasn't governed.

Reactions: ccissna
#44 ·
On the VCM, I have been impressed/happy with a VCM Tuner II installed on our 2011 Odyssey for several months. I will put one on our 2019 Pilot Touring when we get out of the powertrain warranty coverage. You might consider that one also.

The VCM Tuner II appears to be well-made with good components. It does the temperature signal control without changing resistors to account for ambient temperatures and has a microprocessor controlled high temperature function that will trigger warning lights and true temperature display when you get close to overheating (I have not had to experience that yet, but its almost August...)

On the tires, I have been happy with the OE Continentals that came on our Touring with the 19 inch wheels. Low noise and good wet traction, but tires are a very subjective topic, like BBQ preferences...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.