Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As an owner of two Pilots (2016 Elite, 2012 Touring prior) this forum and its members have easily been the best! Thank you everyone for the wealth of knowledge, tips and tricks throughout the years! Your advice has been invaluable!

Traded in my 2016 Elite with 38,800 miles yesterday for a new 2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R. I am sad to see my beloved Pilot go, but I wanted to get into a smaller vehicle. With no kids or large pets, we rarely needed the 3 rows and it was time for a change. Plus, I didn’t want to miss out on the 3.6R engine that’s being discontinued. We tested the Passport, but experienced high-pitched wind noise during the test and the transmission seemed clunky after the Pilot. It was an immediate ‘no’ after our test drive.

Final thoughts on the Elite: I loved driving it - for a big vehicle it still drives small and peppy. I felt like I owned the road while driving it. The Pilot was phenomenal in snow and Wisconsin winter driving conditions. It easily plowed through a foot of snow with no issues, while everyone else was stuck. I will miss the safety and security of its winter handling.

The Elite had every bell and whistle I could want - some worked well, some didn’t.

-Sunroof. Continued issues with the sunroof not closing. Thanks to this forum, I was able to close it by pulsing it. We had it back to the dealer many times to fix it - the “fix” would work for a few months, then the sunroof would stop closing again.

-HD Radio. Well-documented issues here. Static would come and go, random change in volume, - dealer was never able to fix - and since it was random, I was able to live with it. But it was annoying.

-Happy with the Outback’s lack of auto stop/start. Turning it off became a habit, but it will be nice not to have to do it at each start-up.

-MPG was consistently around 22/23 with mostly back roads driving 60/miles per day.

-Still hated the electronic shifter after 3 years - really glad to have a normal shifter on the Outback. Same with radio/volume buttons! Nice to see them again!

-I will miss my armrests. Even though they seemed small after the 2012’s console, I liked having them. I will also really miss the center storage area. It was a great place to set my phone, snacks, and other items.

-My touchscreen still looked brand new - I bought the custom screen protector the day it was available!

-I never had the transmission issues that some experienced. My 2016 was smooth as silk.

Overall, my 2016 Elite was fantastic, even with some of the glitches. It was a beast in snow and floated down the highway, with a ride better than the Lexus I owned. It was just an overall great vehicle!

It will be interesting to see how the Pilot evolves in the years to come! I will miss this forum - it’s easily the most informative that I’ve seen with great members!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Good luck with it! We will be traveling down that road with our Pilot soon as well. In fact we held off turning in the lease so we could wait for the new models to come out. I wish I was thrilled to have owned mine as you are, but I can't deny that it was a capable vehicle regardless of the complaints I did have.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts