Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm wondering what a fair price to get me timing belt and water pump replaced in California are? I know the prices will very alot depending on your area and where you get the work done. I'm just wondering what ballpark price would be.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Also seriously consider having tensioner and idle pulleys, thermostat replaced at the same time. I believe also with this work, there should be additionalconsiderations for oil pump gasket/o-ring and possibly seals for crankshaft and cams.

For pricing I'd expect $1500-2000 for a full timing belt and tensioner. If you go to an independent, make sure they use honda oem or the asin TB kit and procedured from a reliable source like dealer or rockauto

·
Registered
2006 EX-L, RES
144 Posts
Hey guys I'm wondering what a fair price to get me timing belt and water pump replaced in California are? I know the prices will very alot depending on your area and where you get the work done. I'm just wondering what ballpark price would be.

Thanks guys!
I'm in upstate SC. Just had the timing and serpentine belts, water pump, and tensioners/idlers done for $1200. In CA, adjust upward accordingly.

·
Registered
2004 EX
687 Posts
I just checked, and Rock Auto has the Aisin kit in stock. Thinking of buying one even though I may not need it right now.

Reactions: Cousin Itt

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also seriously consider having tensioner and idle pulleys, thermostat replaced at the same time. I believe also with this work, there should be additionalconsiderations for oil pump gasket/o-ring and possibly seals for crankshaft and cams.

For pricing I'd expect $1500-2000 for a full timing belt and tensioner. If you go to an independent, make sure they use honda oem or the asin TB kit and procedured from a reliable source like dealer or rockauto
Thanks for the number and the other recommended work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Costs are up a bit nowadays due to the covid stuff. When you get a quote, make sure they are replacing everything - basically everything that the timing belt touches (except the crank and cam pulleys) should be replaced, along with the hydraulic tensioner (just look at what's in the Aisin TKH002 kit) - definitely have them replace the serpentine belt (should just be the cost of a new belt, since it has to come off to replace the timing belt) - I would say somewhere around 1400 +/- a couple hundred is reasonable if it's a shop you trust.

I just changed the TB on our 05 which we recently bought - the previous owner had it changed a couple times in the past and had always just asked for belt/tensioner/water pump and that's all that was replaced - they omitted the forward idler pulley and it was a rusty mess when I pulled it (it gets showered with coolant if it's still there when the water pump is removed).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Costs are up a bit nowadays due to the covid stuff. When you get a quote, make sure they are replacing everything - basically everything that the timing belt touches (except the crank and cam pulleys) should be replaced, along with the hydraulic tensioner (just look at what's in the Aisin TKH002 kit) - definitely have them replace the serpentine belt (should just be the cost of a new belt, since it has to come off to replace the timing belt) - I would say somewhere around 1400 +/- a couple hundred is reasonable if it's a shop you trust.

I just changed the TB on our 05 which we recently bought - the previous owner had it changed a couple times in the past and had always just asked for belt/tensioner/water pump and that's all that was replaced - they omitted the forward idler pulley and it was a rusty mess when I pulled it (it gets showered with coolant if it's still there when the water pump is removed).
Yep I just ordered the AISIN TKH002. I found a highly recommend independent that's going to do it.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
My Honda dealer did mine for $1200. I can’t remember the particulars of their warranty, but it was significantly better than the independent I checked with, and they wanted $1000, and said the price could go up a bit. It was an easy choice in my case. Most places will quote you over the phone. Specify OEM parts, others by name, or provide own parts.

Reactions: 06pilot06

·
Registered
212 Posts

Thanks guys!
Are you in San Diego or fairly close? I have a great independent that did mine $115/hr vs the dealer's $165.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts