Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello community, I am here to ask your opinion. I have a 2006 Honda Pilot EX-L. I have been the owner of this car for the past 6 years. I have 180500 miles on it. Within the past 6 months got new tires, new battery, spark plugs and coils. The timing belt was changed at 135,000 miles. The Pilot is in great condition and runs smoothly. I am selling it but I do not want to part with it under 5000 dollars. The Kelly blue book value for this Honda Pilot ranges from 2700 - 5300. What do you guys think is a fair price I should sell my car for. This car is so reliable and does so much, I dont want to feel like I got ripped off for selling it low and at the same time I dont want to overprice it either. What do you guys think is a fair price? Thank you all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
hmm might be tough to get close to 5k. you can list it there but I'll say you can get 3-4k leaning more toward the lower end....if you find the right buyer who cares about all that maintenance then you'll get closer to 4. just my opinion.

·
Registered
187 Posts
List it for sale at the price at which you are willing to sell, and see what happens. I have a 2007 Pilot and kids that will be driving in a few years. I see no reason to get new cars until we are ready to consider handing the 2007 pilot that currently has 135,000 on it. They go strong to 200k miles usually. Right? My 2006 ridgeline is about the same. It’s just not worth the effort of forcing a sale. I will never sell these cars. I will be more likely to sell some parts from them and drop them off at LKQ or the metal scrap yard when they have become completely worthless. Maybe they will be parts for another pilot or ridgeline of the same style.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I do not want to part with it under 5000 dollars.
There's your answer.

If you find someone that's willing to part with $5,000 to get it, you're both happy. If not, you can decide how much you want it gone.

If you really want to know how clean it is, use the Buyer's Guide to score it yourself. If it really is a creampuff that doesn't need anything, it's reasonable to start high.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys for all of your input. What gets me is the dealers that are selling this exact car for like 6500 and if I ask for 4500 its somehow high. How is it that people dont bring the KBB prices up when they are buying a car from a dealership? I still feel like I will be giving this car away if I sell it for anything less than 5000. Just the new tires on it were 800 not including the rims. Oh well I will advertise it for 5100 and leave some room for negotiation. Wish me luck guys.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Good luck on the sale! IMO getting 5K might be tough with the mileage which may raise concerns for the average joe or jill .
CarMax offered me 3K for my '04 115K a few years ago which I politely declined. The newer Pilots don't appeal to me and are too expensive. I drove the Pilot into my garage for a little overdue TLC, made some repairs but then got distracted into making the Pilot a better Pilot....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your reply. I agree that trading the car in would be a giant mistake. You as might as well throw money down the toilet. I know my car has some miles on it but the timing belt has been changed, it has new tires a new battery, and new spark plugs with coils. This car has a lot more life in it. Honestly, I would never sell this car because it is so reliable but I am moving out of the country and can not bring the car with me. If you were buying it just for the sake of this discussion what do you think would be a fair price? What would you offer me? I am just curious. The car is on craigslist and here is the link to it if you want to see some pictures. I appreciate your input. Thank you.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,166 Posts
Because of the first sentence in the ad I’d offer you $3k. No need to advertise that you’re moving because that starts the negotiation with you in a position of weakness. I’d also remove the last sentence unless you’re willing to guarantee that statement.
I’m not trying to be a jerk, but that’s how I see it. Happy holidays and good luck with the sale.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
Thank you guys for all of your input. What gets me is the dealers that are selling this exact car for like 6500 and if I ask for 4500 its somehow high. How is it that people dont bring the KBB prices up when they are buying a car from a dealership? I still feel like I will be giving this car away if I sell it for anything less than 5000. Just the new tires on it were 800 not including the rims. Oh well I will advertise it for 5100 and leave some room for negotiation. Wish me luck guys.
What warranty are the dealers offering? Something like 12 months or 12K miles maybe?

Now what warranty are you offering? I would suspect it is an as is sale or at best a 3 feet or 3 second warranty.

I learned a long time ago things like new tires, fancy wheels or radios/stereos etc. are not selling points for a vehicle unless you can find someone that wants that brand of tires, that style of wheels or the special functions that that particular stereo offers. They want reliable transportation that is in good repair and not in need of any outlay of funds any time soon. Most dealers will finance used vehicles hence the warranty they offer. To most buyers that warranty is a bit of peace of mind that the car will not cost them any repair costs for a period of time.

There are advantages as well as disadvantages to a private sale and one of them is that you usually will not get what a dealer will charge. However, if this vehicle is paid off then you have generally got your moneys worth to that point so whatever you sell it for is profit. The dealer has bought the same car from someone probably for around what you are asking so the only profit they will make is to sell it for a higher price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What warranty are the dealers offering? Something like 12 months or 12K miles maybe?

Now what warranty are you offering? I would suspect it is an as is sale or at best a 3 feet or 3 second warranty.

I learned a long time ago things like new tires, fancy wheels or radios/stereos etc. are not selling points for a vehicle unless you can find someone that wants that brand of tires, that style of wheels or the special functions that that particular stereo offers. They want reliable transportation that is in good repair and not in need of any outlay of funds any time soon. Most dealers will finance used vehicles hence the warranty they offer. To most buyers that warranty is a bit of peace of mind that the car will not cost them any repair costs for a period of time.

There are advantages as well as disadvantages to a private sale and one of them is that you usually will not get what a dealer will charge. However, if this vehicle is paid off then you have generally got your moneys worth to that point so whatever you sell it for is profit. The dealer has bought the same car from someone probably for around what you are asking so the only profit they will make is to sell it for a higher price.
Well the dealership has fees that they charge for that have nothing to do with the car. Yes, they wash the car and tell you a bs story how its certified pre-owned and they will warranty everything. All of that is just nonsense. It is a way to get an extra few grand out of people. I am honest and the buyer knows first hand what he/she is getting. I would always buy a car from a private party then a dealer.

·
Registered
2007 EX-L
405 Posts
The dealerships have the advantage of being in bed with the banks, and usually can get people financed above what the car is worth, and to people that probably can barely make the payments. I know my 08 is only worth about 4k, even though I just put in a lower mileage motor and trans. None of that matters. A lot of buyers are blind to any of that, they just look at other ad prices and go. I would like to sell mine for 4500 so I don't lose too much, but it isn't going to happen.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Hello community, I am here to ask your opinion. I have a 2006 Honda Pilot EX-L. I have been the owner of this car for the past 6 years. I have 180500 miles on it. Within the past 6 months got new tires, new battery, spark plugs and coils. The timing belt was changed at 135,000 miles. The Pilot is in great condition and runs smoothly. I am selling it but I do not want to part with it under 5000 dollars. The Kelly blue book value for this Honda Pilot ranges from 2700 - 5300. What do you guys think is a fair price I should sell my car for. This car is so reliable and does so much, I dont want to feel like I got ripped off for selling it low and at the same time I dont want to overprice it either. What do you guys think is a fair price? Thank you all.
See Below, I'm sure you DO have a nice Pilot btw

The dealerships have the advantage of being in bed with the banks, and usually can get people financed above what the car is worth, and to people that probably can barely make the payments. I know my 08 is only worth about 4k, even though I just put in a lower mileage motor and trans. None of that matters. A lot of buyers are blind to any of that, they just look at other ad prices and go. I would like to sell mine for 4500 so I don't lose too much, but it isn't going to happen.
Followed your thread- strong work.

* Why would both of you consider selling these vehicles again?
Maybe you want newer, better options?
And I'm not judging- you have the right todo what ever you want.
It sounds like they are worth more to you than what you'd get from them though?

Both of these vehicles sound like great ones.

* I'm glad my wife understood me when she asked me to sell my 2001, Dodge Dakota Quad Cab, 4.7v8, manual, posi, etc. w/ 268K miles on it, needs an entire new front end, etc.- Still drive great- runs great!
AND when I tow a heavy trailer- it does it in it's sleep/easy.
I ordered it the way I wanted from the factory, had itr since new, it's been a Great family vehicle for us! (full four doors, etc.)
But it's probably not worth 1K? I told her I'd rather keep it when I need to 'haul' something (motorcycles, riding mowers, mulch, wood, etc.) than to sell it for next to nothing. I still drive it to work, to the beach on Lake Michigan, etc.

·
Registered
2007 EX-L
405 Posts
Not to hijack the OP thread, but its what I do for spare time. Find cars that people think are at the end of their life, and I revive them. Cars aren't dead to me unless I say they are dead.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts
If you really want to know how clean it is, use the Buyer's Guide to score it yourself. If it really is a creampuff that doesn't need anything, it's reasonable to start high.
+1 on that Buyer's Guide

Thank you for your reply. I agree that trading the car in would be a giant mistake. You as might as well throw money down the toilet. I know my car has some miles on it but the timing belt has been changed, it has new tires a new battery, and new spark plugs with coils. This car has a lot more life in it. Honestly, I would never sell this car because it is so reliable but I am moving out of the country and can not bring the car with me. If you were buying it just for the sake of this discussion what do you think would be a fair price? What would you offer me? I am just curious. The car is on craigslist and here is the link to it if you want to see some pictures. I appreciate your input. Thank you.
If I were paying that much for it, I wouldn't want to see any lights, like the VSA triangle of even the TPMS, and when I plug in my Foxwell NT630, I wouldn't want to see any codes whatsoever. Just my

1 - 15 of 15 Posts