Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp...it happened. Got a Gates kit for my 2015 ex and the tensioner that came with the kit looked suspect (back piston cap was depressed into the tensioner body a bit more than I'm used to seeing. Like it had been previously c-clamped) Got a duralast one at auto zone because they had it on the shelf and I've had good experiences overall with thier parts. Finished the timing belt/water pump and it started and ran fine for my 10 mile test run. Next morning it started fine and stalled after one minute. Then cranked with what sounded like no fuel. Suspecting the worst I pulled the timing covers back off and found the belt was slack. Pulled the tensioner and it was completely depressed. No tension whatsoever. Pulled the timing covers off completely and found both cams were about 90 degrees out. Did a fair amount of cursing with a very sick feeling in my stomach. Retimed the engine and put the gates tensioner in. It provided good tension and timing was spot on after 2 revolutions. But the no start remains. Engine cranks like it's not getting fuel. Fuel pump is stroking on key position 2. I've never seen bent valves cause an engine not to start, but pretty sure that's what I'm dealing with. Wondering if anyone has experienced this issue or had to battle a shit parts manufacturer for the cost of repairs due to damage from thier parts. Let the flogging begin. Oh first time posting so sorry if this is in the wrong spot. Love you guys.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Most manufacturers will supply replacement pieces or refund your purchase price under their warranty terms, but only after you prove to them that you didn't damage their pieces. Even pro mechanics see no better. A high-volume shop might get some goodwill from someone in the supply chain, from the volume of business they do. Us DIY folks get none of that.

Do a compression test on the engine. You'll find which cylinders have bent valves and won't support combustion. Bent intakes will keep the engine from starting even if a few cylinders aren't damaged.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you kindly for the helpful response friend. As I mentioned, I've used both manufactured for years for timing belts (subarus mostly) without issue. Let the flogging continue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most manufacturers will supply replacement pieces or refund your purchase price under their warranty terms, but only after you prove to them that you didn't damage their pieces. Even pro mechanics see no better. A high-volume shop might get some goodwill from someone in the supply chain, from the volume of business they do. Us DIY folks get none of that.

Do a compression test on the engine. You'll find which cylinders have bent valves and won't support combustion. Bent intakes will keep the engine from starting even if a few cylinders aren't damaged.
Thank you Sir. My compression gauge doesn't fit this engine but that will be next. That is precisely the kind of response I was hoping to get. Much appreciate and I will post my findings. A frustrating day to be sure...

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,582 Posts
Gates is junk. Duralast is junk. You probably bent your valves as this is an interference engine. Why would you cheap out on timing belt components? AISIN kit is $180 to keep your car running another 100k
Most people don't even know what brand of timing belt components are in their car. My mechanic doesn't use Aisin or Honda and I've had 500k+ miles with no failures.

Failures can happen with any kit. Also lets not assume there wasn't some error in installation. No reason to pile on someone who's engine may be toast.

Also don't assume OP was cheaping out on the timing belt components because Duralast is more expensive than the Aisin kit.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Elite- Sapphire Steel Metallic 7P (gray) Delivery Date: 11-14-20
77 Posts
Most likely bent valves and no compression in many cylinders unfortunately plus maybe rocker arm damage or piston damage. Fixing it with all Genuine Honda parts would set you straight with this engine for a really long time though. Most likely the pistons and bottom end are fine on the engine.

·
Registered
11,412 Posts
AutoZone rebrands. Profit margin obviously is more important than quality. You can start your own brand if you buy enough.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most people don't even know what brand of timing belt components are in their car. My mechanic doesn't use Aisin or Honda and I've had 500k+ miles with no failures.

Failures can happen with any kit. Also lets not assume there wasn't some error in installation. No reason to pile on someone who's engine may be toast.

Also don't assume OP was cheaping out on the timing belt components because Duralast is more expensive than the Aisin kit.
Thanks for that. I'm not saying I'm immune to making procedural mistakes but the timing belt job on this engine is pretty straightforward with fewer pitfalls as compared to other engines. Timing was dead on and the pulleys/tensioners were torqued to spec etc. I completely agree with your post, although at the moment I am wishing that I had gone with genuine Honda parts. Thanks for the reply friend.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most likely bent valves and no compression in many cylinders unfortunately plus maybe rocker arm damage or piston damage. Fixing it with all Genuine Honda parts would set you straight with this engine for a really long time though. Most likely the pistons and bottom end are fine on the engine.
Thank you Sir, that's what I'm thinking as well. The slippage occured at idle though Im not certain that makes a damn bit of difference. The engine rotated fine after I found the cams out of time. It took a bit of work to get them back without hitting the pistons, but I agree that the damage is likely done. I despise dealerships. But this may mark the first time in over 25 years that I've taken a car to a shop due to time constraints and needing the car. I am toying with pulling heads/repairing vs opening my wallet for Honda prices. Having a moment of doubtful thinking as a result of this happening that's making me question my next moves. Thank you so much for the response Friend.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Elite- Sapphire Steel Metallic 7P (gray) Delivery Date: 11-14-20
77 Posts
I am toying with pulling heads/repairing vs opening my wallet for Honda prices.
It sounds like you have engine repair experience and these are not complicated engines Sometimes the heads take damage, but that’s probably the most expensive scenario. The valves only have to be bent a little for there to be no compression at all. Sometimes there is relatively little damage vs everything being smashed to bits.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It sounds like you have engine repair experience and these are not complicated engines Sometimes the heads take damage, but that’s probably the most expensive scenario. The valves only have to be bent a little for there to be no compression at all. Sometimes there is relatively little damage vs everything being smashed to bits.
That's what I'm hoping. We have a very reputable head repair shop locally that can probably do the job, I just don't have a bunch of time to spend on the head rem/instal as I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel as well (figured I'd do the timing belt job as a "break" from laying tile...), So may punt to the dealership as much as it pains me to do that. Ive been in diesel repair for 20 or so years and was a Subaru nut before I got into Hondas, but this marks the first failure if this kind I've seen. I really appreciate your response.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Ive read hundreds of posts about Honda timing belts over the years and not once have I heard about anyone using a duralast timing belt tensioner. Sure there can be issues with other kits but the problem with crappy brands is that your chances of getting a bad part is exaggerated with these brands of parts. Same thing with axles from these stores. It’s the timing belt, the one part that your engine must have to run, just go OEM or aisin, aisin is oem parts.

The dealership is going to absolutely kill you on labor for this job. Just the timing belt is job $1200 at most dealers. You’re looking at $2k or more for the head job there for just the head gaskets saying that there is no other problems.

Guy tried to save $15 on a timing belt tensioner, it explodes and THEN wants to take it to the dealer to pay out the ass for labor. What the heck 😂

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ah. So your experience with the brand is based on posts. That figures. Yes, I'm not wild about the dealership/shop option either, but as I posted earlier I just don't have the time. Not sure why you think, and continue to mention, my parts decision in this case was money based. It was based on availability which think I was pretty clear about my actual experience with the brand until now has been entirely positive. Thanks for your helpful posts and insight.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Has no time, but buys gates kit which are known to be junk, installs junk, has failure.
Replaces junk gates with junkier duralast and engine blows up. Has now spent twice the amount of time buying and installing junk and now has spent hours posting on a forum about how he can’t figure out how junk parts were junk and wants to spend more time fighting with said company about their junky parts.
Now has to wait and pay for tow truck driver to take car to dealer which takes more time because of using junk parts and deal with them and pay out the wazoo for installing the correct parts.

what’s the lesson here kids? When you don’t “have time” to do the job right the first time with oem parts, don’t do it. Timing belt tensioners aren’t duralast coils that can be swapped in 10 mins, they take 10 hours or more to install. If you want the job done consistently right you pay for consistent oem quality parts.

If there is still a gates water pump in there you may be doing the same thing in the future. Take out all of the gates stuff.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So may punt to the dealership as much as it pains me to do that.
Oooof, they're going to ring you up on labor costs though like sticker said. They're going to want many hours of labor up front to disassemble everything. Once the engine is disassembled at the dealer, they think they have you. The dealer probably also has a regular machine shop that they use for the valve work since I've never seen a dealer shop that does their own valve work.

When it's all said and done, you'll probably end up with 2 reconditioned heads and a fresh timing belt set / water pump from the dealer assuming no piston damage. (unlikely in this case I think).

·
Registered
910 Posts
Crank sensor still plugged in and in correct position? Is there spark?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Crank sensor still plugged in and in correct position? Is there spark?
Hi, thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that I have spark and the sensor is connected. An update: auto zone corporate was surprisingly helpful with submitting a damage claim. Not holding my breath, but we'll see. They need a statement from an approved Honda facility so hands are tied there, it's off to the dealership. Time is a bigger problem than cost at the moment, but I may be singing a different tune in a couple of days.Thanks again for everyone's help so far. Really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Hi, thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that I have spark and the sensor is connected. An update: auto zone corporate was surprisingly helpful with submitting a damage claim. Not holding my breath, but we'll see. They need a statement from an approved Honda facility so hands are tied there, it's off to the dealership. Time is a bigger problem than cost at the moment, but I may be singing a different tune in a couple of days.Thanks again for everyone's help so far. Really appreciate it.
Sorry to see this happen to you ... I'll be rooting that the AZ claim pays to have his fixed. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 117 Posts